I just bought a 2009 GTI, and wow is it an excellent car. Traded in a '93 Jeep Cherokee I've had for ~4 years as part of the cash for clunkers program. Nothing like getting an '09 GTI out the door for $21k after taxes (MSRP was $25,500), w00t

Packages:
6-speed DSG w/ tiptronic
Premium Audio
iPod adapter
Rubber mats + trunk liner

Very nice ride, Kllrnohj. I'm liking that dash and interior Smile
Also, glad to see you got a good deal out of that C4C program.
PFFFFFFFFFFHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dude that is a seriously gay car. Also you should've been able to talk down the price more than that.

EDIT: Automatic transmission? I would've taken you for a manual driver.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Dude that is a seriously gay car.

I find Kllr's car to be quite vivacious as well! Razz
yeah, would have expected something a bit different. Either way, still a nice car.
I want one of those...
There's no way I'm waiting for those pics to load on dial-up, but it sounds like a nice car. I have to agree with the automatic transmission fail, but it's not a huge thing. I just can't believe you gave up the Jeep with your homebrew bluetooth kit.
Kllrnohj wrote:

Your temp plate only lasts until Tuesday? What ever happened to 30-day dealers' plates :/
Actually, probably the biggest fail for automatic transmissions is that my Mustang has an Automatic. And I drove manual for 3 years before I bought it
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Also you should've been able to talk down the price more than that.

I got it at dealer's price ($24,003). Do note that I said the $21k was *AFTER* taxes, document fees, etc...

Quote:
EDIT: Automatic transmission? I would've taken you for a manual driver.

I'm going to assume you aren't familiar with VW's DSG transmission. Its a 6-speed auto manual complete with paddle shifters. Its not unlike the transmissions in Audis, Porsches, and the like. It also has better performance than the manual, due to its insane shift speed:

http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedtoknow/a/ag_howDSGworks.htm
Quote:
Volkswagen's DSG takes about 8 milliseconds to upshift. Compare that to the SMT in the Ferrari Enzo, which takes 150 ms to upshift.

So while I may still get smoked by an Enzo, at least I claim a better transmission Very Happy

My daily commute also consists of ~15 minutes of stop and go traffic up to 40 mph - a manual would quickly become tedious.

Quote:
Your temp plate only lasts until Tuesday? What ever happened to 30-day dealers' plates :/

Yeah, that kind of surprised me. Its now 3 days apparently :/

foamy3 wrote:
There's no way I'm waiting for those pics to load on dial-up, but it sounds like a nice car. I have to agree with the automatic transmission fail, but it's not a huge thing. I just can't believe you gave up the Jeep with your homebrew bluetooth kit.

Hahahaha, dial-up.... Anyway, I did grab the bluetooth out of the jeep before I turned it over and my GTI does have aux input... Wink
Shiny and red, not too bad. I'm no car expert, so I can make no judgment on the automatic vs. manual debate.
LOL a volkswagon Razz
Those things are reliable cars..
Never really liked them tough.

I'd rather have a Shelby GT500 Mustang Very Happy

And Manual is freaking awesome.
Reapex wrote:
I'd rather have a Shelby GT500 Mustang Very Happy

I wouldn't mind a Shelby GT500 either, but the govt wasn't going to pay for part of it AND its more expensive - so that kind of rules it out, lol

Quote:
And Manual is freaking awesome.

Not as awesome as VW's DSG Razz
DSG?

What's that? :O
Also, you'd be surprised at how many dealers raised some of their car prices 3500-4500 dollars.. :\
DSG is like having the benefit of manual transmission with the convenience of an automatic transmission. Although I'd prefer manual because then you can be all cool driving with 2 hands and 2 feet, especially in stop-and-go rush hour traffic Razz
Reapex wrote:
DSG?

What's that? :O

That was answered above, but here: http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedtoknow/a/ag_howDSGworks.htm

Quote:
Also, you'd be surprised at how many dealers raised some of their car prices 3500-4500 dollars.. :\

Only retards pay sticker price to begin with.

Quote:
Although I'd prefer manual because then you can be all cool driving with 2 hands and 2 feet, especially in stop-and-go rush hour traffic

Yeah, and you can be all cool doing rev matching, heal toe, and clutchless shifting - but only if you're good Wink But DSG is also wicked fast - far faster than even the best driver can possibly shift, which means better performance Smile

On another note, I just got back from a spirited drive on a twisty, 2 lane country road. Wow was that fun. GTI handled it like a dream...
Nice GTI. I see quite a few around here.

I'm with UD on my expectations from you, however. Although I will always prefer a manual transmission over an automatic, the DSG is indeed a well engineered transmission. There are some pretty clean GTIs around here; You planning on doing anything to yours? (Performance or Cosmetic).
swivelgames wrote:
I'm with UD on my expectations from you, however. Although I will always prefer a manual transmission over an automatic, the DSG is indeed a well engineered transmission. There are some pretty clean GTIs around here; You planning on doing anything to yours? (Performance or Cosmetic).

Not initially. My cousin is trying to convince me to at least get it chipped and get a RSB, which I'll probably do after I've payed back my parents. I'll likely be doing some autocross in it towards the end of September.

The only cosmetic mods would probably be new (lighter) rims, maybe some 18s (I have 17s now). But I'm not a ricer, I *hate* ugly, flashy cars like those POS fast and furious fruit cakes. God those things are ugly.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Not initially. My cousin is trying to convince me to
at least get it chipped and get a RSB, which I'll probably do after I've
payed back my parents. I'll likely be doing some autocross in it
towards the end of September.

The only cosmetic mods would probably be new (lighter) rims, maybe
some 18s (I have 17s now). But I'm not a ricer, I *hate* ugly, flashy
cars like those POS fast and furious fruit cakes. God those things are
ugly.
Yeah, you should at least get it chipped Razz

And I agree completely. Waste of a perfectly good car if you violate it
like that.

Personally, I either go sleeper or get some type of aero-kit.

My older siblings and I do a lot of autocross when we can. Once I
start tuning I'm not going to do too much. I'm going to start with
suspension (Tanabe springs with KYB shocks) and a good anti-roll
bar and strut tower bracing, then move on to performance tuning:
Custom intake (cheap, and easy), chipped ECU, Exhaust (not sure
what yet), headers and low-compression valves and other
turbo-prep tuneups, and then I might go with a small turbo.
Kllrnohj wrote:
The only cosmetic mods would probably be new (lighter) rims, maybe some 18s (I have 17s now). But I'm not a ricer, I *hate* ugly, flashy cars like those POS fast and furious fruit cakes. God those things are ugly.

Haha I was watching that movie last night and wondering why the hell they would add all that useless sh*t to their cars; damn ricers Laughing

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours