Kerm, I'm currently working on making a shell for my calc called Xenon.So far it can only run ion programs and I'm stuck with a crappy text based GUI that can't even display icons. Sad I was hoping maybe you could give me the source to DoorsCS 4 or 5 to toy around with and come up with something a little more decent.
If you have a problem, why not ask a specific question instead of just taking his code? And if only Kerm can help you, why would you make a thread instead of a private message? This thread is just full of fail.
foamy3 wrote:
If you have a problem, why not ask a specific question instead of just taking his code? And if only Kerm can help you, why would you make a thread instead of a private message? This thread is just full of fail.
Seconded. If you (xenon) had bothered to read my response to you in one of your ten other topics:

Please forgive my sarcasm, I'm annoyed that you're still posting new topics with the exact same title when we clearly indicated in the SECOND of your currently three duplicate topics that one should reply to a thread one created rather than constantly creating new threads about similar topics. The source to a fairly recent version is indeed available to those who ask nicely, but the license states that the source is primarily available only to those looking to further their knowledge of ASM, and the reuse of code in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
KermMartian wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
Seconded. If you (xenon) had bothered to read my response to you in one of your ten other topics:

Please forgive my sarcasm, I'm annoyed that you're still posting new topics with the exact same title when we clearly indicated in the SECOND of your currently three duplicate topics that one should reply to a thread one created rather than constantly creating new threads about similar topics. The source to a fairly recent version is indeed available to those who ask nicely, but the license states that the source is primarily available only to those looking to further their knowledge of ASM, and the reuse of code in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.

Not a fan of GPL are you? Razz
For some things, not for this. I don't think it's fair that Joe Noob who's barely computer-literate can download the Phoenix source, change one sprite and Patrick's name, and claim it's his game. I'd rather not have thousands upon thousands of hours of work stolen so egregiously.
So use something like CC Attribution, if you don't want people taking your code and claiming it's their own. Even better, you could do Attribution, Non-Commercial, and No-Derivative if you're really paranoid about it.
Here the catch...I didn't really write it exactly...More or less i replaced all the words "Plasma" in the Plasma OS shell with Xenon.Obviously with idiacy of my ideas from a week ago you woudn't think i wrote it would you?Pathetic I know... Sad But it beats spending my time displaying "HELLO" as many ways as possible...But since the answers no, i might as well forget it as I most likely won't understand any code you throw at me.
Sorry about making a new topic all the time, (new to forums)
xenonparadox wrote:
Here the catch...I didn't really write it exactly...More or less i replaced all the words "Plasma" in the Plasma OS shell with Xenon.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Well xenonparadox, I understand where you're coming from. I, myself, find that the best way to learn a language is to get thrown right into it. By experimenting with fully functional code, you get a feel for how it works. That's how I learned TI-BASIC and PHP.

However, the problem I see at hand is that you're jumping in a little TOO far. You need to take steps, not leaps of faith, into the pool Wink

And on another note, I'd like to reiterate a line from my own forum's Rules/FAQ thread:
Quote:
  • Ask Questions
    If you aren't sure of something, ask an admin or mod. There's no such thing as a dumb question, but there are dumb mistakes.

If you're really new to forums, ask around how things work. Read the rules and guidelines (if there is a page/thread about them). Definitely Private Message forum staff or a member who knows a thing or two if you're even the slightest bit unsure of something. Smile
KeithJohansen wrote:
Well xenonparadox, I understand where you're coming from. I, myself, find that the best way to learn a language is to get thrown right into it. By experimenting with fully functional code, you get a feel for how it works. That's how I learned TI-BASIC and PHP.

I agree, I regularly look at code samples to get a feel for the basics of some function, it will be a lot harder here with asm as there are no really good guides with code samples unlike PHP, but it is definetly doable.

KeithJohansen wrote:
However, the problem I see at hand is that you're jumping in a little TOO far. You need to take steps, not leaps of faith, into the pool Wink

I also agree with that statement, I would recommend looking at code from small asm programs that publish their code with the final copy and work your way up to apps then further to big complex apps like DCS

KeithJohansen wrote:
And on another note, I'd like to reiterate a line from my own forum's Rules/FAQ thread:
Quote:
  • Ask Questions
    If you aren't sure of something, ask an admin or mod. There's no such thing as a dumb question, but there are dumb mistakes.

If you're really new to forums, ask around how things work. Read the rules and guidelines (if there is a page/thread about them). Definitely Private Message forum staff or a member who knows a thing or two if you're even the slightest bit unsure of something. Smile

Also seconded, questions are good. Sometimes questions will paint you as someone who is new to a concept but that isn't a bad thing in this case, you need to learn how netiquette (sp?) and how different forums operate, this involves asking questions, or looking like a idiot/jerk if you mess up to badly or often which will often happen if you don't ask questions about things you are unsure of. I am not sure how many people I speak for on this but I think that most of us would be happy to answer reasonable questions (which is just about anything but not things like can I buy the moon?) and would prefer that to having someone just try to learn the hard way (by making mistakes).
I don't have a problem creating apps, after I developed Asm Maker that was a piece of cake, the problem is i've gotten bored with what ialready know but can't base asm programming as anything similar to what i know.Its like every time you learn a new command youre trying to learn a new language.
I was eager to create windows shell using custom sprites to give Doors more appeal to me and possibly cutting out the stuff I don't care for like the background enabler i never use because its too hard to see the screen.
But anyway, can someone tell me how to keep a shell from crashing after it runs a program and maybe how to make a shell run mirage PROGRAMS?
MirageOS is a shell. Why would you want a shell to run another shell?
KeithJohansen wrote:

Same reason people keep making BASIC shells.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:

It makes sense, doesn't it?
swivelgames wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:

It makes sense, doesn't it?

Extra layers ftw Good Idea
I have a couple of Q's

(1)How do you stop a shell from crashing after running a program?

(2)How do you make a shell recognize and run Mirage Programs?

(3)How do you make a shell recognize and run Basic programs?
xenonparadox wrote:
I have a couple of Q's

(1)How do you stop a shell from crashing after running a program?

(2)How do you make a shell recognize and run Mirage Programs?

(3)How do you make a shell recognize and run Basic programs?

1. Code it better?

2. In ASM or BASIC? If BASIC, why?

3. As in detect the BASIC programs on the calc and then add them to a menu to be executed like in the TIOS?
LET ME BE CLEARER...

(1) How do you stop an asm shell from crashing after running a program(be specific, is there a rom call or something?)

(2)How do you make a asm shell recognize and run mirage programs.(For some reason mine can only detect Ion.)

(3)How do you make a asm shell recognize and run Basic programs?(I wanty and needy i thinky)
If I were a mod I could remove the duplicate post, BUT seeing as how no one trusts me with authority (no idea why), it shall remain...

xenonparadox wrote:
LET ME BE CLEARER...

(1) How do you stop an asm shell from crashing after running a program(be specific, is there a rom call or something?)

(2)How do you make a asm shell recognize and run mirage programs.(For some reason mine can only detect Ion.)

(3)How do you make a asm shell recognize and run Basic programs?(I wanty and needy i thinky)

These are seriously vague, but:

1. Usually it's the program that's being run that crashes instead of the shell.

2. ???????

3. PROFIT!
xenonparadox wrote:
LET ME BE CLEARER...

I'll try to help, although you're not being very descriptive in what you're doing already that you need help with (code examples are GOOD things).

(1) Run your shell in a debugger, and step through the program's execution. It probably is returning to the wrong point in memory.

(2) The programs that a shell recognizes is based on whatever restrictions you place on which programs to show. So...look at the MirageOS header...and make your shell display programs that have one. As for running it, you've gotta recreate the MirageOS routines and put them at the right spot in memory. Might want to look at any of the open source shells for examples (DCS, Noshell, CalcUtil)

(3) Again, to recognize a program, just make your shell not "not recognize" it. A basic program looks like a program that isn't an assembly program with BBh, 6Dh at the beginning (did I get the magic numbers right?) As for running it, you'll probably pass the name to b_call ParseInp, though you'll need to play around with hooks in order to make everything work perfectly.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours