Code:
(01:11:37) lethalblackbelt: HAHA LEVEL 2!!!!!
(01:11:42) Swivelgames: XD
(01:13:13) lethalblackbelt: hehe cheat engine ftw XD
(01:13:58) Swivelgames: lol nice
(01:14:12) lethalblackbelt: it's like a gameshark for linux :D
(01:14:22) lethalblackbelt: remember those?
(01:15:26) Swivelgames: Oh hellz yeah
(01:15:38) lethalblackbelt: and game genies
(01:15:42) Swivelgames: Hahah, yeah
(01:15:46) Swivelgames: I used to get both of those :P
(01:15:52) Swivelgames: For all my games
(01:16:32) lethalblackbelt: I remember using the sega sandwich to play sonic the hedgehog 2, back before I found out about the debug code
(01:16:45) Swivelgames: Haha, holy shit yeah!
(01:17:17) lethalblackbelt: too bad no one makes cartridge-based systems anymore :(
(01:17:25) lethalblackbelt: they were the shit
(01:17:34) Swivelgames: Indeed! :P
(01:17:41) Swivelgames: Its just not practical anymore
(01:17:49) Swivelgames: Not with the current technology
(01:17:58) lethalblackbelt: we have the technology
(01:18:00) Swivelgames: Maybe something like a USB drive or SD card
(01:18:02) Swivelgames: :P
(01:18:02) Swivelgames: lol
(01:18:17) lethalblackbelt: but a $20 flash drive is more expensive than a $.10 DVD
(01:18:26) Swivelgames: What I mean is technology is somewhat passed that
(01:18:27) Swivelgames: Indeed
(01:18:56) lethalblackbelt: I bet you the next or second next gen of consoles is going to be entirely net based
(01:19:04) lethalblackbelt: no more physical media
(01:19:07) Swivelgames: Definitely
(01:19:14) Swivelgames: I can see that
(01:19:20) Swivelgames: Kinda like Steam
(01:19:22) lethalblackbelt: which would suck if you want to play games ~20 years down the road or buy second hand games
(01:19:42) Swivelgames: Very true
(01:20:24) Swivelgames: But knowing the people in the world, someone will probably buy it out once it goes out and keep it alive for a good amount of time after it's discountinued for a small amount of money.
(01:20:43) lethalblackbelt: unless you remove DRM on the purchased games and allow consumers to store their own backups of their games I don't that working
(01:20:55) lethalblackbelt: but then the game publishers wouldn't make any money
(01:21:02) Swivelgames: Well just look at it like Steam has it set up
(01:21:25) Swivelgames: You purchase a game to your account, and then no matter what PC you're on, if you're logged in you can play the game
(01:21:31) lethalblackbelt: but say I want to play a game on the original platform
(01:21:36) Swivelgames: The Steam Platform is very successful
(01:21:38) lethalblackbelt: can steam run on the Genesis?
(01:22:01) Swivelgames: Well, of course not. But we're talking about next-gen gaming consoles, no?
(01:22:08) lethalblackbelt: yes
(01:22:16) lethalblackbelt: but I'm using an analogy here
(01:22:28) lethalblackbelt: what if you wanted to play games on the original platform?
(01:22:42) lethalblackbelt: and you don't have a place to get the software?
(01:22:47) lethalblackbelt: *games
(01:22:50) Swivelgames: Then you'll need to get the PC software to emulate it, lol
(01:22:56) lethalblackbelt: because the servers are no longer around?
(01:23:01) Swivelgames: Then you're screwed
(01:23:01) lethalblackbelt: but look at the PS2
(01:23:02) Swivelgames: XD
(01:23:14) lethalblackbelt: it's been 8 years and still no *useable* emulator
(01:23:20) Swivelgames: True true
(01:23:24) lethalblackbelt: pcsx2 still has a long way to go
(01:23:29) lethalblackbelt: it's still hella slow
(01:23:29) Swivelgames: Indeed
(01:23:41) Swivelgames: But the PS2 is yet to be discontinued
(01:23:51) lethalblackbelt: true
(01:24:00) Swivelgames: They're still coming out with updated PS2 consoles, and making a large profit from them
(01:24:06) lethalblackbelt: but think about the next set of consoles and how long they'll take to reverse engineer
(01:24:12) Swivelgames: Theres a large amount of people still going out and buying PS2 consoles
(01:24:26) lethalblackbelt: btw PS3 slim is coming out soon
(01:24:37) Swivelgames: Nice, hehe
(01:24:58) Swivelgames: But yeah, that's one of the goals of console engineers
(01:25:20) Swivelgames: Think of how much money they'd lose if their systems could be revered engineered easily?
(01:25:32) lethalblackbelt: true
(01:25:35) Swivelgames: Emulators everywhere and then you'd lose a large audience
(01:25:45) Swivelgames: or, not audience, lol
(01:25:54) Swivelgames: a large amount of sales*
(01:26:04) lethalblackbelt: but once a console becomes obsolete it shouldn't matter
(01:26:34) lethalblackbelt: after all, SNES sales have been stagnant since what, 1996?
(01:26:51) Swivelgames: Indeed. And once the PS2 becomes obsolete, they should have it figured out, but it might take a little longer then normal :P
(01:26:57) Swivelgames: Indeed
(01:27:30) Swivelgames: But atm the PS2 is still a commonly-used console
(01:27:31) lethalblackbelt: but then with each successive generation it'll take longer and longer to reverse engineer to the point where it will no longer be feasible to write an emulator
(01:28:03) Swivelgames: But that's one of the goals.
(01:28:11) lethalblackbelt: true
(01:28:21) lethalblackbelt: but it screws us the consumer with their proprietary shit
(01:28:46) Swivelgames: Because of someone comes out with a console, and it sells, and it can't be reverese engineered, how much would one of those be worth if the only way you could play it is buy using the physical console?
(01:28:54) Swivelgames: Hehehe, very true :P
(01:28:59) Swivelgames: if someone comes*
(01:29:08) lethalblackbelt: hehe
(01:29:12) Swivelgames: by using*
(01:29:21) lethalblackbelt: but what if after 20 years there's still no emulator?
(01:29:32) lethalblackbelt: I doubt the console will still be profitabl
(01:29:33) Swivelgames: 10+ years down the road that thing will be incredibly expensive
(01:29:37) lethalblackbelt: *profitable
(01:29:45) Swivelgames: It'll be an antique
(01:29:49) lethalblackbelt: indeed
(01:29:53) lethalblackbelt: and rare to find
(01:29:58) Swivelgames: Indeed
(01:30:01) lethalblackbelt: working anyways
(01:30:09) Swivelgames: And 20+ years down the road and no emulator. Either no one cares or we're all stupid
(01:30:16) lethalblackbelt: hahaha
(01:30:41) Swivelgames: Technology continues to advance at an exponential rate. We'll know how to in 20+ years, I'm sure :P
(01:30:42) Swivelgames: hehehe
(01:31:10) lethalblackbelt: but then again, if we can at least rip the games it wouldn't be all bad
(01:31:26) lethalblackbelt: because we at least have them to work with in creating an emulator
(01:31:32) Swivelgames: Indeed
(01:31:39) lethalblackbelt: but then again that road takes the longest to get a working emu from
(01:31:43) Swivelgames: Ripping wouldn't be too difficult I'm sure
(01:32:05) lethalblackbelt: it took the PCSX2 team several years to reverse engineer demos to be able to play 1 commercial game
(01:32:38) lethalblackbelt: and another problem net distribution brings along
(01:32:50) lethalblackbelt: what about people like me with massive game libraries?
(01:32:55) Swivelgames: And it is indeed impressive that they've gone almost 9 years with out it being figured out completely
(01:33:18) lethalblackbelt: unless you pack each console with like a 10TB hard drive it's not going to be able to hold much
(01:33:43) lethalblackbelt: just take a look at the Xbox 360's new Games on Demand
(01:34:01) lethalblackbelt: aside from being stupidly overpriced ($30 for a $5 game from GameStop)
(01:34:10) lethalblackbelt: they're huge downloads
(01:34:19) lethalblackbelt: and my 360 has only a 20GB HDD
(01:34:29) lethalblackbelt: and I have 4 GB left on it
(01:34:35) Swivelgames: lol true. But its not a far-fetched idea to have a large HD like that in the somewhat near future
(01:34:49) lethalblackbelt: but then again there are rumors of a 1 TB drive coming next year from M$
(01:35:02) Swivelgames: 1TB for the 360?
(01:35:05) lethalblackbelt: yes
(01:35:22) lethalblackbelt: how else are you even going to try and hold a library of games on there?
(01:35:38) Swivelgames: Hehe, indeed :P
(01:36:09) lethalblackbelt: assuming the average 360 game is ~ 5GB, you'd only be able to hold 200 games max roughly
(01:36:23) Swivelgames: That's still a good amount
(01:36:28) Swivelgames: For just a TB
(01:36:33) lethalblackbelt: for most people they'd never reach anywhere near that high
(01:36:44) Swivelgames: and you know we'd be able to come out with 5TB drives here in the near future
(01:36:48) lethalblackbelt: but still, there are those of us who collect games
(01:36:48) Swivelgames: Exactly
(01:37:07) lethalblackbelt: true, but by the time we get HDD's that big games will become bigger as well
(01:37:15) lethalblackbelt: and you'd still only fit 200 games at a time
(01:37:24) lethalblackbelt: look at the SNES for example
(01:37:27) Swivelgames: But with something like Steam's infrastructure, you can have certain games downloaded and others just on your account that you can download and install whenever
(01:37:45) lethalblackbelt: each game was ~1 MB each, and back then we had tiny-ass HDDs
(01:37:49) lethalblackbelt: like .25 GB
(01:37:54) Swivelgames: Yeah
(01:38:05) lethalblackbelt: but now with 2 TB drives we can hold a million SNES games
(01:38:14) lethalblackbelt: even though only ~11K were made
(01:38:19) lethalblackbelt: :P
(01:38:46) Swivelgames: ^^,
(01:38:51) lethalblackbelt: so this would only be feasible if everyone bought a RAID 0 array w/mirroring for their collection :D
(01:39:01) Swivelgames: Hehehe, nice
(01:40:23) lethalblackbelt: physicists need to hurry up and get us those 1 molecule transistors into the marketplace already :/
(01:40:37) lethalblackbelt: then we can have 1 TB microSD cards :D
Lots of TL;DRs coming our way, UD. Still a great conversation, though. Anyone who has the time should definitely read Smile
Haha, good stuff, Swiv.

I think that the Steam platform is a good concept for our future, as in the end it's all about the space, providing that we can continue making HHDs smaller and smaller. Collecting does have a valid argument, though, past the sentimental value, in its ability to serve as a back-up, especially if said console were to be discontinued. I think a good way to compare this to would be the state of the music industry: physical CDs versus digital files (via iTunes, the Zune Marketplace, etc.). It's important to note, though, that at least they have some rudimentary sense of competition, and that may be a different story with video games being bought and downloaded on-console. It's all in the same digitalization argument of our world today... My three cents.
As far as sizes go, I found something pretty interesting:
http://www.unitysemi.com/index.html
Won't happen next gen, that's for sure. *MAYBE* after that, MAYBE, but unlikely. The size of games are growing at the same rate as the media. Rage, id's next game, will ship on TWO DVDs and the PS3 one will barely fit on a single Blue-Ray disk. Modern internet infrastructure is far too slow and bandwidth limited to handle ~20 GB downloads by millions of gamers. Next gen games will, of course, be even larger, further outpacing the capacity of the US's internet.

I expect to see digital distribution actually have a real place on next gen consoles, but no where near enough to upset the retail market.

As for PS2 emulators, that is because the PS2 has the most brain dead and retarded architecture of all time that doesn't make any damn sense. That is why it is hard to emulate and slow - not because of the raw speed of the console or anything like that. Emulating the XBox and XBox 360 are/will be considerably easier, as will the PS3.
Good sirs, I fear that although I am certain the above transcript of your conversation contains many useful and salient facts, it is with great regret that I declare it to be far above the threshold of my ability to concentrate at this particular juncture in my very tiring day, and it is with equal chagrin that I write to admit I did not read and examine your post to the full extent of which it is deserving.
KermMartian wrote:
Good sirs, I fear that although I am certain the above transcript of your conversation contains many useful and salient facts, it is with great regret that I declare it to be far above the threshold of my ability to concentrate at this particular juncture in my very tiring day, and it is with equal chagrin that I write to admit I did not read and examine your post to the full extent of which it is deserving.

Sounds like the sort of thing that's going to become a filter to replace instances of 'tl;dr'.
The Tari wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Sounds like the sort of thing that's going to become a filter to replace instances of 'tl;dr'.

Then we can make a quote pyramid more epic than the I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new pyramid Very Happy
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
The Tari wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Then we can make a quote pyramid more epic than the I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new pyramid Very Happy

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
The Tari wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

I have to say that downloading (and paying for) something digital is not as pleasing as purchasing something physical from the store. I've found this to be true with iTunes versus getting a CD; despite CDs being slightly cheaper on iTunes, it's still more fun to actually get a physical CD for your money (I intend to by physical CDs for all future purposes).

Also, I don't like the idea of adding the requirement of having a good internet connection into a gaming system to enjoy the games because good internet connections are expensive and very difficult to come by for many people. It's just another piece that could potentially fail and make your experience less enjoyable.

As for the issue of storage, as long as hard drives keep getting bigger and faster, games will continue to do so as well, so I doubt you will ever be able to store more than about 200 games on a hard drive that is (at the time) top of the line.

For the positive side, this would help with organization as in the difficulty in finding the particular game you want to play. It would also avoid the problem of scratching DVDs and the like.
The day games are downloads rather than physical copies will be the day I stop gaming. I don't trust current methods of data storage enough to keep, entirely, a 60$ game on.

Though, I'd be willing to keep games on my HDD if the games were available for download on the website (or if I were able to burn the game to a disc) and all I had to keep safe was the product key. I commonly remove games and programs from my computer so I have more space for my photos.
As I mentioned before, the Steam platform is very successful right now and continues to grow and support more and more significant mainstream games. Some games are released on the Steam platform then other platforms.

Hell, I own a Steam account with 25+ games on it. I have put more money in to Steam games then any other platform. It really is very convenient, and although you don't have the physical game, the game is always on your account and internet is not required to play the game (unless its multiplayer only of course), only to download it. Smile

It's quite convenient, because your collection of games go wherever you go, and the prices are get significantly cheaper Razz

And the platform itself is a free and small download.
comicIDIOT wrote:
The day games are downloads rather than physical copies will be the day I stop gaming. I don't trust current methods of data storage enough to keep, entirely, a 60$ game on.

Though, I'd be willing to keep games on my HDD if the games were available for download on the website (or if I were able to burn the game to a disc) and all I had to keep safe was the product key. I commonly remove games and programs from my computer so I have more space for my photos.

So you want something like the Adobe solution, or do you want even more.

Note: The Adobe solution I am referring to is the once you purchase it for download you can re download it for up to 3 years. I think you might not even need to keep the product key for that, I think that all you need is your Adobe account info.
That's the exact same with Steam. But, if you need to keep the product id / serial number for a game all you have to do is right click on it and click "Show Serial Number". If you need to enter the game to input the serial number, it leaves it in the bottom right corner of the screen while fullscreen until you press Shift+Tab to hide it.
b-flat wrote:
I have to say that downloading (and paying for) something digital is not as pleasing as purchasing something physical from the store. I've found this to be true with iTunes versus getting a CD; despite CDs being slightly cheaper on iTunes, it's still more fun to actually get a physical CD for your money (I intend to by physical CDs for all future purposes).

Not to mention iTunes quality is crap compared to a CD. I don't get why anyone would pay for MP3s that cost as much as a CD given the quality difference, just ridiculous.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Rage, id's next game, will ship on TWO DVDs and the PS3 one will barely fit on a single Blue-Ray disk.

Lost Odyssey is on 4 DVD-DL disks (and it's seriously f***ing long, but amazing).

Kllrnohj wrote:
b-flat wrote:

Not to mention iTunes quality is crap compared to a CD. I don't get why anyone would pay for MP3s that cost as much as a CD given the quality difference, just ridiculous.

CD rip -> FLAC FTW!
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Lost Odyssey is on 4 DVD-DL disks (and it's seriously f***ing long, but amazing).

Uh, all 360 games have been on DVD-DL disks. That said, only 7 GB is available, meaning that those 4 disks add up to 28 GB. I'm reasonably sure that the disks have at least SOME duplicated data, so that comes out to about a single layer Blue-Ray disk Wink

I haven't played Lost Odyssey yet. I really haven't been playing much games at all lately.
*bump*

http://bit.ly/A40PA
Stuff you get on iTunes is mp4.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours