http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Scan your disk and post the PIE and PIF results.
Noted for tomorrow. I doubt it's a disc issue though.
I tried running Ubuntu 9.04 live. It froze up at the loading screen.
KeithJohansen wrote:
Yeah, you mentioned that, which made me doubt the bad disk diagnosis. I can't think what it might be... Sad PSU? CPU fault? Thermal issue?
Could be a thermal issue. It's possible the CPU fan isn't making full contact with the CPU itself and the CPU is overheating. I doubt that though. If it was a CPU issue, could my computer have even DONE a full 11 hours of memtesting?

I hope the PSU isn't faulty.... I swear, if it's another faulty component, I will scream Mad
KeithJohansen wrote:

If you get a lot of PI errors and failures it means your drive isn't burning properly or your discs are crap (what brand are you using?) Do you have another drive to swap your current one out with as alex suggested?

KeithJohansen wrote:
It's possible the CPU fan isn't making full contact with the CPU itself and the CPU is overheating.

I hope you mean heatsink :/
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Yep, sorry, I meant the heatsink that the fan sits on top of. >_<;
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if my discs are crap. I have TDK CDs and Sony DVDs.
Sony disks are good. Definitely swap the drive. Find a friend to borrow one from if you have to. If that doesn't work, maybe mobo BIOS need flashed? I didn't feel like rereading the topic, so sorry if that was already suggested.
KeithJohansen wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Yep, sorry, I meant the heatsink that the fan sits on top of. >_<;
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if my discs are crap. I have TDK CDs and Sony DVDs.

Sony disks are good; TDKs have been hit-or-miss for me.
CDs are required to meet a minimum quality standard. Brand doesn't mean much of anything when it comes to CD-Rs. I always go for the cheapest CD-Rs on sale, and its worked out just fine so far. Then again, I don't have a crap burner either, so...
Kllrnohj wrote:
CDs are required to meet a minimum quality standard. Brand doesn't mean much of anything when it comes to CD-Rs. I always go for the cheapest CD-Rs on sale, and its worked out just fine so far. Then again, I don't have a crap burner either, so...

However that minimum is very low and says nothing about the supported burn speeds in my experience, I have bought Cds that way and after a failed burn found out they only burned at up to 2X (much slower than my drive was using).
Kllrnohj wrote:

You best be joking; brand makes A HELLUVA LOT OF DIFFERENCE. I'm assuming you've never worked with Memorex disks...or tried to burn something that needed an uncommon level of precision such as burning homebrew DC/PS/PS2 games to disks. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden all the way! Very Happy
Kllrnohj wrote:
Required by whom? Does this optical media conglomerate actually test the media of its members that thoroughly?
Necrobump

As it turns out, the 99%-probable reason why my computer was dysfunctional was because of the hard drive. I've unplugged the hard drive and I'm running Ubuntu live. I've been playing games on it for about an hour now (longest run time EVER) so I'm gonna safely say the HDD is the root of the problem. I'll go buy a replacement hard drive and see if that fixes it up.

[edit]
To recap, the issue was that I couldn't install an OS and the computer would freeze when running live CDs too.
[/edit]

and I shall end this with one final.....

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGHHHH! >_<

I feel moronic because this was like the first thing my tech-savvy 'rents kept telling me to check but I kept putting it off because it didn't seem logical to me >.>
Keith, very happy to hear you finally figured it out after three months of frustration. Smile I hope this does the trick fro you and you'll finally get to put those 4 cores of Core 2 Quad goodness to good use. Smile
I'm absolutely happy myself. Tomorrow I'll be able to go out and buy a hard drive or three (our Pentium 4 desktop "Minty" might be needing a new one too :/ but if not, I could use 2 or 3 hard drives in this beast Very Happy)

Furthermore, while I'm at it, I'll probably see about picking up some more RAM (to replace the faulty stick) and some speakers (because I don't think this computer has any O_o )
Woohoo, would that mean you could finally join us in our daily rounds of nail-bitingly-fun Unreal Tournament 2004? Smile
... my desktop froze again >.> ....

And no, sorry. I'm not really a computer gamer :/

..... [long line of expletives]

[edit]

I'm chalking it up to "running a live disc for 3 hours straight"... >.>
Unless somebody else has a better idea, I'm sticking to the plan and getting a new hard drive >.>
Is there any other computer you could hook the suspect hard drive to in order to test it? Failing that, do you have any of the IDE/SATA <--> USB adapters?
I have two other desktops but I don't think I'd be allowed to fiddle with the one and the other is ancient and probably not working right anyway. I suppose I could try hooking the drive up to the ancient one.

And no, I don't have any SATA<-->USB adapters

It's possible it's freezing from overheating. I'll try fiddling with the stupid heatsink-fan-thing later. But ugh.... >_<
If and when you boot the LiveCD back up, perhaps keep an eye on the CPU core temps and tell us what they're up to? That could definitely be the cause of the LiveCD freeze.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours