I've just seen this on ticalc.org:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articles/14/145/145103.html

This is hallucinating!
What do YOU think of this?
Didn't Michael Vincent's OS get shut down before he released it? What'll stop TI from stopping Brandon's OS2?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Didn't Michael Vincent's OS get shut down before he released it? What'll stop TI from stopping Brandon's OS2?
I think the idea is he's done so much OS hacking and patching, that if they still cared (it now being ten years since the 83+ first was released) that they no longer care about it enough to threaten legal action for OS modification. Of course, it might also be that they just haven't noticed yet, and it's only a matter of time before he receives a flurry of cease-and-desist actions.,
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I think the idea is he's done so much OS hacking and patching, that if they still cared (it now being ten years since the 83+ first was released) that they no longer care about it enough to threaten legal action for OS modification. Of course, it might also be that they just haven't noticed yet, and it's only a matter of time before he receives a flurry of cease-and-desist actions.,

I'm pretty sure they don't care as he has had many TI-OS patches available for a while as well and has written a few letters to them telling them fix their crappy code..
Considering that they no longer care about the 83+ line of OS, 1.19 has been out for a few years now, I don't think they are going to really be concerned about it. Now if he started in on the 84+, I would imagine that they would tackle him before he got very far.
Yeah, Texas Instruments doesn't care about the 83+ and what not anymore. They'd probably care a little more if someone came up with a way to create a different OS for NSpire or something more recent, but no one cares about the 83 anymore.
tifreak8x wrote:
Considering that they no longer care about the 83+ line of OS, 1.19 has been out for a few years now, I don't think they are going to really be concerned about it. Now if he started in on the 84+, I would imagine that they would tackle him before he got very far.

He Actually is aiming for the 83+se/84+/84+SE support more than the 83+ but again I don't think TI will care. From their lack of activity with the 84+/SE OS in the past two years I'd say all they really care about is the Nspire.
yeah, I only exclude the thought of the 84+ for the time being since it is still a newer model calc, and from what I have gathered, and could be way off on, adding specific things for the 84+ OS would be something that could be directly built on an 83+OS anyways, but making it 84+ only.

*shrugs*

The development process is of course up to brandon, and I am sure as things progress he will tell us what he is planning. =p
Svakk wrote:
Yeah, Texas Instruments doesn't care about the 83+ and what not anymore. They'd probably care a little more if someone came up with a way to create a different OS for NSpire or something more recent, but no one cares about the 83 anymore.

TheStorm wrote:
From their lack of activity with the 84+/SE OS in the past two years I'd say all they really care about is the Nspire.

Didn't I just say that??? 0x5
Svakk wrote:
Didn't I just say that???

Yes, but we like him more than you.
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Nothing would make me happier than to get a cease-and-desist order. Really.

I really doubt they care anymore, and the community being in the state it's in right now, I think a new OS is the perfect thing to breathe new life into the community. A replacement OS is the ultimate achievement, a culmination of more than a decade of work. We owe it to the people who came before us, and potentially after us, to do this.
Alright, I know we discussed how the VAT will work, how do you plan to do menus? Is this something still being thought out or have you decided on a course already for it?

Myself personally wouldn't mind seeing the use of small text for the menus in a scrollable fashion, but I am unsure how easy that would be for you to do.
I hadn't given thought to that yet. I've been so focused on getting the core essentials working that I haven't given any thought to the system monitor or menus or how they'll work.

That's not a bad idea, though. I would want things to be as flexible and customizable as possible, because I know it's going to be hard to please everyone. Probably initially I would just do it like the TI-OS does it and then revisit ways of customizing it.

That's the real intention behind this thing: to get to a solid point comparable to the TI-OS, and then make the sweeping structural changes we want to make to make things like that possible, which we normally couldn't do to the TI-OS through patches and the like.

I know how third-party OS projects go, and I know myself, I'll get distracted by something shiny and end up doing something else for a while and leave you guys hanging, so I'm trying my best to get a solid foundation out there so that if I do happen to fall off a cliff or something, it can be picked up or branched by anyone if you don't like the direction I'm taking. That's the kind of development I want to encourage.
I see, and that makes sense. ^_^

Tho, for one of the things I would like in a menu.. I would be happier than you would know if under the VARS button, you have a submenu for them extra characters not easily accessible. Granted, would make a few certain programs obsolete, but would make it much easier to get at the ones that is wanted more easily.

If it is possible that is.

Hmm.. as awesome as this project is.. and as much discussion that I am sure is to ensue about it from here alone, I am tempted to make you a featured member and give you your own subforum for discussion. I have a feeling this topic will gain many pages quickly. =p
whatever you do, do not send the third party os, csx to your calculator i tried it last night and i no longer have it.
Why, what's wrong with it?
lafferjm wrote:
whatever you do, do not send the third party os, csx to your calculator i tried it last night and i no longer have it.
The OS or the calculator?
KermMartian wrote:
lafferjm wrote:
The OS or the calculator?

I think he means the OS
I can't even turn my calculator on anymore. I've tried removing the batteries for a few hours and that didn't work.
lafferjm wrote:
I can't even turn my calculator on anymore. I've tried removing the batteries for a few hours and that didn't work.

Did you put them back in?

And did you take out the little watch battery thing, too?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours