KermMartian wrote:
Whoa, I had missed a rare post from CyberPrime! Great to hear about these efficiency ideas; efficiency will definitely be excellent for those of our members with weaker computers, now that we're going with the more intensive T3D engine.

It looks like something is going wrong with my caching based on some memory usage that appears to be growing inappropriately along with some very odd reports from the cache profiler. Not looking forward to tracking that down and I have a very busy two weeks coming up. =(
My physics homework was shorter than expected yesterday so I marathoned some time with Xcode, GDB and Instruments (some profiling tools) and crushed almost all of the known bugs (and a lot of other inefficient behavior) with my LDraw lexer/parser and the file caching mechanism.

There's one small memory leak remaining that has me baffled, but it isn't enough to be a show stopper preventing me from moving on to something else. I'll definitely work to track it down, but the priority is much lower than some problems with the cache that were wasted 70+MB of RAM or a couple memory leaks in the parser that were leaking 20+MB each.

[edit]

The plan is the first pass of the parser will generate the geometry. Subsequent calls to include the same file will instead generate only a few tokens: a series of tGEOMETRY tokens followed by a tEOF. The tGEOMETRY will signal the parser to utilize the existing meshes rather than attempt to regenerate them.
Started on the colour manager yesterday in the van ride between Skidmore and Saint Mike's. Investigated what will need to happen to have the bump maps use a separate set of coordinates from the diffuse textures, and wrote the routines to store an RGBA colour to one of 65536 4x4 patches of a 1024*1024 texture.
Superb! I'm happy to hear that LDraw support is progressing; I'm hoping that that rudimentary LDraw support will be live soon!
KermMartian wrote:
Superb! I'm happy to hear that LDraw support is progressing; I'm hoping that that rudimentary LDraw support will be live soon!

Agreed. "Rudimentary" should actually feature most of what will be needed from it, other than the iGob-replacement stuff. This is largely because I've been designing the whole system an interconnected fashion, so by the time we're rendering the models at all, everything else will be in place.
Shoot I need to finish that color conversion table.
DShiznit wrote:

If you get those two lookup tables all set, it would be pretty easy to convert iGobs into LDraw models.
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

If you get those two lookup tables all set, it would be pretty easy to convert iGobs into LDraw models.
That would be epic, then TOB users would have no reason not to switch once Freebuild is set to go.

Edit: Nice catch there elfprince13, I can't believe I did that...
TheStorm wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

That would be epic, then TOB users would have no reason not to switch once FreeBuild is set to go.
I'll have to get that table to you later. I'm doing some work for my Mom's boss right now, and let's just say my ability to purchase Portal 2 ASAP hangs in the balance...
DShiznit wrote:
I'll have to get that table to you later. I'm doing some work for my Mom's boss right now, and let's just say my ability to purchase Portal 2 ASAP hangs in the balance...

Say no more =)
Hehe, that's very important. Jonimus, I'm curious what you said before Elfprince corrected your post.
Incidentally, this work was all ported to ANTLRv4 instead of Lex/Yacc when the decision to move to JVM was made.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours