elfprince13 wrote:
I've started porting ldlite.l to TGE code.

so you are converting Ldraw bricks to torque? cuz thats cool! ^_^
We're actually making it so you can simply drop LDraw files into Freebuild and use them.
oh. so its the *convert* *copy* and *paste* thing?
No, i thinks its more copy paste BAM ingame. no conversion
Xyno76 wrote:
oh. so its the *convert* *copy* and *paste* thing?

just the other way around. The engine will convert the files.
Xyno76 wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I've started porting ldlite.l to TGE code.

so you are converting Ldraw bricks to torque? cuz thats cool! ^_^

I'm making Torque capable of rendering them directly.
Is the engine going to convert them to a more torque-friendly format or is it going to render them as is?

EDIT: I cannot read.
CyberPrime wrote:

just the other way around. The engine will convert the files.

I think that answers your question.
EmperorWiggy wrote:
Is the engine going to convert them to a more torque-friendly format or is it going to render them as is?

As is. Though I will probably utilize primitive substitution to save polys. Replace the studs and tubes on each brick with a decal.
elfprince13 wrote:
EmperorWiggy wrote:

As is. Though I will probably utilize primitive substitution to save polys. Replace the studs and tubes on each brick with a decal.

Oh sweet, that would be helpful. Does that mean the engine could read other models of the same format (I don't remember what format LDraw things use) without too much work?
It should be able to handle any LDraw .dat, .ldr, or .mpd. I'll also be implementing some FreeBuild specific metacommands for things like node placement.
I means we can design it in LeoCad or ML cad and then pull it into Freebuild to play around with.
Exactly, TheStorm. Also, elfprince13, once we do that engine modification to play with the brick position updating do you think we could bring back the studs? I suppose we will have to see. I suppose that studs are pretty high poly for something so minuscule.
CyberPrime wrote:
Exactly, TheStorm. Also, elfprince13, once we do that engine modification to play with the brick position updating do you think we could bring back the studs? I suppose we will have to see. I suppose that studs are pretty high poly for something so minuscule.
Better yet, make it a client-side setting.
Yea, perhaps it could be a clientside setting. That would involve restarting the game once it was switched, though, I think.
no, just re-loading all the bricks without the primitive substitution.
Oh, alright. That might not take too long, but it would be a delay.
Well, after several hours of durking about, and making an attempt to understand the various components of the parser, I've gotten the compiler down to 22 errors, most of which seem to be related to a couple undefined variables and functions that need to be exchanged for Torque-friendly equivalents. Then it's on to work with the yacc code, which I'm anticipating will be a little more work.
Bump. Spent all afternoon + evening working the Yacc side of things, and getting stuff to play nicely together.

Down to 33 errors, between both portions of the code, and all of which are just functions that I don't have an equivalent for in game yet.

Also, I need to redirect the YY_INPUT function.
I am doing some work on gathering new data for my research project from this spring/last winter, so won't be too much new progress today, but I've come to the conclusion that the part's cache should be stored and indexed more efficiently than just linearly searching an array. At the moment I have a trie of some sort in mind for this.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours