I feel like we've done this before....
anyway

I'd be getting about 4x that, but our area is rural enough to not be a high priority upgrade for their network.

Sad

Kerm. I hate you. Smile
jbr wrote:
Dingdangit! I can't copy the link for some reason. Nothing happens to my clipboard when I try... Oh well, here are my results on the honor system:
25.68 Mb/s Down
3.20 Mb/s Up
10 ms Ping
ISP: Cox Communications

While the test was going, I was seeding a couple torrents, but they were only going at like 30 KB/s total, so I don't think it matters too much. I don't know how my download is so nice, because the advertized speed is like 15 Mbps... Or at least it was a few years ago... I guess I got a free upgrade! Who needs 20 Mbps upload anyway, huh?

You don't have 20Mbps up.
elfprince13 wrote:
[...]
At least once, no less, probably more. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
[...]
At least once, no less, probably more. Smile

The last thread is massively outdated.
Phear my ping!

this is at school - but pretty much everyone else was online at this time too as it was right before classes started. Otherwise download is usually higher, although I have actually sustained a download at 2 MB/s on Steam.
This is my school test where we are on a T1.

EDIT:

Just got home, look at my blazing fast home internet:
At home:
Here's FIOS at home:

KermMartian wrote:
Here's FIOS at home:

FIOS is available in our area and I thought it was supposed to be faster than any other home internet even in uploading (and with it being a fiber to the house as opposed to only fiber to the node it really should be).
KermMartian wrote:
Here's FIOS at home:

You must have cheap FiOS then; it's supposed to be WAY faster than that.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Here's FIOS at home:

You must have cheap FiOS then; it's supposed to be WAY faster than that.
Well, that is FiOS with my laptop on a WiFi access point about four rooms away through some walls.
Glenn wrote:

T1 is spec'd at 1.5 MB/s symmetrical. It is a pretty slow connection.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Glenn wrote:

T1 is spec'd at 1.5 MB/s symmetrical. It is a pretty slow connection.

I know, believe me I know. We are currently working on upgrading our internal network, then I will resume asking about more internet connectivity. We currently have a 10Mb/s hub for a T1 router, hopefully it will be upgraded soon. We do however have a gigabit switch below it and several (5 I think) airport base stations for 802.11G (I know N would be nice [and they support it] but as hardly any of the other wireless devices on the network are N that will not happen).
Seriously, 10Mbps? They've been making 10/100 routers for at least ten years or so now. I think it's time to upgrade. Shock
KermMartian wrote:
Seriously, 10Mbps? They've been making 10/100 routers for at least ten years or so now. I think it's time to upgrade. Shock

He said a "10mbps hub" too Wink

What I'm assuming he actually means is that the T1 modem connection is 10mbps, which really doesn't matter since T1 is only 1.5mbps.
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

He said a "10mbps hub" too Wink

What I'm assuming he actually means is that the T1 modem connection is 10mbps, which really doesn't matter since T1 is only 1.5mbps.

If I understand all of what i have seen on the T1 router itself and my talks with the head tech person for the school it is yes horrible as it is to think it a hub that is also a modem for up to 2 T1 connections, a DHCP server, and a few other things I'm sure. So in answer to your theory about it only being a modem, no it has 12 ports (I think) for LAN and we used to have all of the servers on it and have a few other thinks on it including several small 10/100Mbit switches to bring together more wires than could go into the router. Now we have all of our stuff on a 24 port 1000Mbit switch that is the only thing outside our T1 and power that plugs into the router. We did not even get close to 10Mbit on our router I think because it was always reporting collisions with it's indicator light. BTW does anyone know if any ISPs provide a minimum bandwidth that would be cheaper than a T1 or comparable in cost but still have the minimum be faster than a T1? I think that there are much cheaper ISPs with higher max bandwidth but as far as I know people like Cox and other providers won't provide a minimum and as we run our website from inside the main school building that is (I believe) a must have.
If it's reporting collisions all the time, it's very possible that one of your network devices is malfunctioning, which could drastically reduce your already limited bandwidth. If you're saying everything is plugged into a gigabit switch, then that's good; is that correct? The 10Mbps thing is just the up/downlink on the T1 modem?
Well standard cable and DSL will smoke a T1 for downstream, but suck at upstream. Since you are doing your own hosting, you are stuck with slow T1 or must pay out the butt for T3 or better.

Unless you can get fiber in your area.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Well standard cable and DSL will smoke a T1 for downstream, but suck at upstream. Since you are doing your own hosting, you are stuck with slow T1 or must pay out the butt for T3 or better.

Unless you can get fiber in your area.

A lot of the cable connections I saw on here looked like they'd smoke T1 for upstream too...even DSL in our area (not my house specifically, since we're in the boonies, but from my ISP) is 6/1 which is approaching T1 speeds for upload, and 4x the speed on download.

I haven't run a speed test from Middlebury campus, but when I was working there last summer, I was sustaining 2MB/s upload speeds over ftp. Hopefully Saint Mike's will be close to as good this fall (although I've already found out that they provide "limited" bandwidth for a applications....).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 12
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours