No
 7%  [ 1 ]
Which to be a what?
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

I'm thinkg we should start a thread on what we want to see in DCS6

My List:
MOS compatiblity
No showing of ION levels (produce errors when you click on them)
Ability to reoganize the Layout of Icons, not just apphabetical

Let's see what others have to say.
folders...

but w/ MOS support you would need it a flash app on the 83+ where you can actually use MOS...
-make DoorCS a flash APP for the 83+, well... later but just a suggestion
exactly...but Kerm won't listen
Everybody's saying FlashAPP...I might eventually give in if only to provide MOS and TICI 2.0 support. Do you guys really want it to be an App?

Edit: Better yet, vote in the poll above.
flash apps don't get take up RAM, nor get deleted if the calc locks up and the RAM must be clear. In short, flashApp pwns for an OS-replacement like DCS
Mmm, fair enough. Let's see what everyone else has to say.
I don't see what the problem of creating it in an app is Confused Am I correct to assume that apps are in assembly. With that assumption, couldn't you get the app builder or whatever from TI and then copy it in there. There's probably more to it then that, but the rewards are much better.

1. Doors will be a much more professional looking shell, unike the other basic shells that run out of the program menu.
2. Even if Doors crashes, It's safe from deletion right? (don't apps run out of rom?)
3. You will be able to provide MOS and TICI 2.0 support
4. With an App, can't you set up bcalls, providing authors with easier and more usefull commands.
5. Why not? I mean really why is it better to have the shell run from the programs menu and be limited in features? Personally, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to make it an App. (Plus in App form, future versions could rival Mirage or is that hope a Mirage Laughing )

Edit: Almost forgot the biggest plus of all. It would allow for a file size above 8000 or whatever, allowing for an increase in code size that could be used for various improvements and maybe that would help problems running programs bigger than Doors.
apps are forced at certain sizes tho, but this way Office DE could be intergrated with Doors CS and be in the same app Wink
Aps are from ROM, and it would take a serious crash to wipe the ROM, it can be done. And if you wanted it to run from the program menu, you write a small ASM program to do that (there is a call to do that)
Interesting, Rivereye has a good point. About the Office DE integration, i doubt I'd be willing to do that, but it's sounding more and more as if DCS6 might be an App. Of course, that would force me to abandon TI-83 support...
or, just have the Ti-83+ version an app, and leave the 83 as ASM program. I don't know how hard that would be.
I wouldn't be able to continue adding the same features on the 83 though. (
True True True, your the programer, your call.
Laughing I'll probably give in to popular demand, not many people use TI-83s anymore unfortunately. Sad
That, and there are many shells out there for it anyways, right now, for the 83+, it is ION and Mirage, Crunchy is rising, and TSE is there. I think DCS would compete good with Mirage with Mirage compatibility.
Oh ya I forgot that TI83's have no apps. That's unfortunate that you would have to quit on the TI83's, but the future is in 83+'s, 84's, 84+'s,83+se,84+se ecetra ecetra. Also it may be a good idea keeping with the idea that you should keep your shell for the upcoming calcs, you could make a special 84 version with clock support [similar to window's clock (and I know how this shell is all about windows)], and other 84 improvements if any. This may help advertise the shell to freshmen, and other students aquiring there first calc. Most likely they will be buying 84+se (if they are going to buy a Z80), and if you were to say this shell was made especially for 84's, you may start to take away from Mirage's customers. Are there any other features that 84's have, that 83+'s don't? I have a 84+se and would happy to help you develope for this new line of calculators if you want to go in this direction Very Happy
I will help to, my 84+SE is more than reasy.

@Chipmaster- There is no such thing as an 84, there are only 84+ and 84+SE, it is a common mistake.
You know, I need to get Doors listed in my archives. Just today, I have had 3 hits for Mirage OS...

And as to Crunchy, it is a nice shell, without all the crap that mirage has in it. Sometimes, simplicity is the best...
my 84+ came with a little pull out blue card with all the "new" stuff added to the 84s, as far as i can tell, its just USB support and the clock (USB file transfer support would be a nice feature Wink - mirage requires the old cable)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours