magicdanw wrote:
I hear what Kllrnohj is saying, but I don't think it all makes sense. I believe that logically, there must be a soul that is independent of our bodies. All our actions can be explained by neurons firing in a big chain reaction that was caused by The Big Bang oh so long ago. However, we have consciousness. We see things through our eyes, and recognize our thoughts. I don't believe this is possible if our consciousness is not due to an external presence - a soul. Were it not for a soul, we would act exactly the way we do, but there would be no "I," no consciousness, to be aware of internal thought and reflection. It would simply go unnoticed as one of many neuron firings.

But why can't consciousness be a function of firing neurons? Our brain processes sight, this we know (we even know where in the brain it happens), our brain processes our thoughts, and our brain processes our feelings (easily seen and interpreted by EKGs).

In fact, everything you do, say, think, and feel can all be directly observed with various scans. If the "soul" were external to the physical body, there would be some missing information. A lack of processing in various areas. But this doesn't happen. Indeed, alterations to the brain can result in drastically different behavior, speech, and feelings. Brain damage can cause peaceful people to become violent, and violent people to become peaceful. If such behaviors were indeed external, this wouldn't happen. You can even teach your brain to talk directly to computers and control things on a screen, and your brain tricks yourself into believing it is an extension of yourself (as in, moving a box on a screen becomes as natural as moving your own fingers - you don't have to "think" about the action, you simply "do" the action). All of that is obviously physical, as it is done by inserting wires in special locations. Remove or move the wires, and you have to re-train the brain (or it might not work at all depending on where the wires are placed)

Self awareness is overrated. I can write a simple AI program that knows it exists, that is simple. Programming it to actually accomplish things (such as being able to learn) is far more difficult than programming it to recognize itself. Heck, computers are far more self aware than humans are. Think about it, anything involving yourself is always vague and generalized. You feel hot or cold, not temperatures. You feel sick in general areas, but don't know what specifically. So clearly you can't mean self aware in terms of knowing what is currently occurring in yourself, since you don't know what is happening inside you.

I assume you won't agree with my above paragraph, so how do you define self aware? What is the criteria to becoming "self aware"?
Kllrnohj wrote:
Self awareness is overrated. I can write a simple AI program that knows it exists, that is simple...

I assume you won't agree with my above paragraph, so how do you define self aware? What is the criteria to becoming "self aware"?
It's tricky for me to describe this phenomena, because it's something that an individual can only experience for him- or herself. It's similar to Decarte's concept of "Je pense, donc je suis." (I think, therefore I am.) As I experience the world, and my thoughts, I feel as though I am some entity that is viewing the world through the lens of this body. If my body existed but my soul did not, why would I feel that I am looking through a lens, rather than just being this body. I would go through the same actions, but I would not have a sense that there is some fundamental I observing it all.

As I said, it's very hard to put this sensation into words, and of course you cannot trust anything I say. But you can try to sense if you yourself feel anything like what I'm trying to describe, and if so, maybe you can trust that. After all, all we can be certain of in this world, is that we exist. We think, therefore we are.
Kllrnohj wrote:
I can write a simple AI program that knows it exists, that is simple.

Is it really aware that it exists? Or does it just perform its function without any consciousness. In order to say that something is aware of its existence, I think it would have to realize that it exists by itself. If you just program it to know that it exists, then its function is just to tell you that it exists.

That's hard to put into words. Maybe you could show us such a program?
Repeat LIFE = 0
Exist
End
magicdanw wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Self awareness is overrated. I can write a simple AI program that knows it exists, that is simple...

It's tricky for me to describe this phenomena, because it's something that an individual can only experience for him- or herself. It's similar to Decarte's concept of "Je pense, donc je suis." (I think, therefore I am.) As I experience the world, and my thoughts, I feel as though I am some entity that is viewing the world through the lens of this body. If my body existed but my soul did not, why would I feel that I am looking through a lens, rather than just being this body. I would go through the same actions, but I would not have a sense that there is some fundamental I observing it all.

As I said, it's very hard to put this sensation into words, and of course you cannot trust anything I say. But you can try to sense if you yourself feel anything like what I'm trying to describe, and if so, maybe you can trust that. After all, all we can be certain of in this world, is that we exist. We think, therefore we are.

How can you be so sure we exist? It could all be an illusion Neutral
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
magicdanw wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

Doesn't an illusion require that we think, though?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
magicdanw wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

This is part of my point. If life is an illusion, it's just an illusion of some other kind of existence. We're here to witness the illusion, and so we must exist in some form detached from the illusion.
kllrnohj wrote:
But why can't consciousness be a function of firing neurons? Our brain processes sight, this we know (we even know where in the brain it happens), our brain processes our thoughts, and our brain processes our feelings (easily seen and interpreted by EKGs).

You're taking a correlation between related events, and drawing cause and effect from that based on the assumption we live in a purely physical universe, and then using the assumed cause and effect as an argument for a purely physical universe. How do you know that our brain is causing emotion rather than responding to emotion?

kllrnohj wrote:
In fact, everything you do, say, think, and feel can all be directly observed with various scans. If the "soul" were external to the physical body, there would be some missing information. A lack of processing in various areas. But this doesn't happen. Indeed, alterations to the brain can result in drastically different behavior, speech, and feelings. Brain damage can cause peaceful people to become violent, and violent people to become peaceful. If such behaviors were indeed external, this wouldn't happen. You can even teach your brain to talk directly to computers and control things on a screen, and your brain tricks yourself into believing it is an extension of yourself (as in, moving a box on a screen becomes as natural as moving your own fingers - you don't have to "think" about the action, you simply "do" the action). All of that is obviously physical, as it is done by inserting wires in special locations. Remove or move the wires, and you have to re-train the brain (or it might not work at all depending on where the wires are placed)

Obviously physical reactions are controlled by the physical portion of your brain. Your soul doesn't animate your muscles, your brain does. But where does the decision to move the box on the computer come from?
elfprince13 wrote:
But where does the decision to move the box on the computer come from?

your brain.

There is no basis for the concept of a "soul"; if I have a soul, then every living thing must also have a soul. As far as I am concerned, the brain is quite like a computer... given the same conditions/inputs(including past experiences), it will always produce the same reaction. Conciousness is merely a by-product; "I" is simply a conglomerate of a.) long-term memory, b.) short term memory, and c.) current memory, as to say what one is planning to do at this very moment. ... If the "soul" is not a material object, then what exactly is it? Sure, you can define it as the entirety of one's experiences in order to describe it as one's "being", but a spiritual definition is just a bunch of pointless crap.

We've already had a lengthy discussion about religion, (thanks to Eeems) and debating the existence of souls in order to convince others one way or another will be just as futile.
Quote:
if I have a soul, then every living thing must also have a soul.

yes? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
As far as I am concerned, the brain is quite like a computer... given the same conditions/inputs(including past experiences), it will always produce the same reaction.

Which is sadly an untestable hypothesis, and thus equally as unscientific as a claim that we have souls. You will never find two brains with identical DNA and identical past experience.

Quote:
Conciousness is merely a by-product; "I" is simply a conglomerate of a.) long-term memory, b.) short term memory, and c.) current memory, as to say what one is planning to do at this very moment.

On what are you basing this claim? Computers have long and short term memory, and certainly don't exhibit behaviors consistent with being self aware.

Quote:
If the "soul" is not a material object, then what exactly is it? Sure, you can define it as the entirety of one's experiences in order to describe it as one's "being", but a spiritual definition is just a bunch of pointless crap.

^_^ again, you're beginning with the assumption that all there is, is the physical universe. It's circular reasoning.
a) There are no such things as spiritual souls because there is only the physical universe.
b) There is only the physical universe because there is no spiritual component to the universe.

Anyway, I suggest you read Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. For all that they're sci-fi, OSC writes from a Mormon worldview and his discussion of auias would do remarkably well as an explanation of souls. Not the silliness with "going Outside," but rather of consciousness existing outside of memory and interacting with the material world.
magicdanw wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
magicdanw wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

This is part of my point. If life is an illusion, it's just an illusion of some other kind of existence. We're here to witness the illusion, and so we must exist in some form detached from the illusion.

Or what if you're part of the illusion itself? YOUR EXISTENCE IS A LIE!!!

elfprince13 wrote:
rthprog wrote:
As far as I am concerned, the brain is quite like a computer... given the same conditions/inputs(including past experiences), it will always produce the same reaction.

Which is sadly an untestable hypothesis, and thus equally as unscientific as a claim that we have souls. You will never find two brains with identical DNA and identical past experience.

So then what we need to do is clone a human adult (as another human adult, not a fetus and wait for it to grow up) and see if they behave exactly the same, or if they don't.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Quote:
Engrave this Quote It is known that there is an infinite number of worlds, but that not every one is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite nuber of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so if every planet in the Universe has a populations of zero then the entire population of the Universe must also be zero, and any people you may actually meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
rthprog wrote:

So then what we need to do is clone a human adult (as another human adult, not a fetus and wait for it to grow up) and see if they behave exactly the same, or if they don't.

To really test it, you'd have to clone the same fetus, raise both fetuses to a full sized baby under identical in-vitro conditions, and then transfer the babies to identical rooms with no human interaction and automated to provide food and light on identical schedules. So I lied, if/when human cloning is perfected, it would be possible to test the hypothesis if you were willing be arrested for false imprisonment (or thrown in the loony bin) after you published your paper.
magicdanw wrote:

It feels like you are looking through a lens because your brain *IS* looking through a lens. All of your senses are external to the brain.

I do believe what you are trying to argue is that our consciousness is not computable (ie, you cannot "program" consciousness). To an extent this is true, BUT if you introduce selective randomness into the system then you can simulate consciousness with a physical computer. Our brains are rather bad computers. The same input does not create the same output. This is what gives us consciousness, creativity, and the ability to think. Computational failures are the spark of life.

Quote:
Is it really aware that it exists? Or does it just perform its function without any consciousness. In order to say that something is aware of its existence, I think it would have to realize that it exists by itself. If you just program it to know that it exists, then its function is just to tell you that it exists.

That's hard to put into words. Maybe you could show us such a program?

Of course it knows it exists. Your computer knows it exists already. Not only that, but it knows to actively monitor itself (such as system temperatures). The ability to THINK is the hard part. The ability to make decisions is the hard part. To simply be aware of yourself is quite simple.

But here would be a simple program that mimics "I think, therefore I am"

Code:
if (true)
{
    return "I exist";
}

Quote:
You're taking a correlation between related events, and drawing cause and effect from that based on the assumption we live in a purely physical universe, and then using the assumed cause and effect as an argument for a purely physical universe. How do you know that our brain is causing emotion rather than responding to emotion?

I would counter that those are two sides of the same coin. And no, I am not mapping a correlation to a cause/effect. We have already mapped the brain. We *know* where certain things are processed. In what areas, etc... People with damage in those areas suffer from reduced ability in those areas. Eg, brain damage can cause extreme apathy, for example. Shocks to various parts of the brain can cause you to feel different emotions. I can cause you to feel love, happiness, or pain by shocking various parts of your brain. Clearly your brain is the cause of emotion.

Quote:

Not only is it not untestable, but we already *KNOW* that the brain is a computer. We also know that identical inputs in the brain don't result in identical output, which is how creativity works. We have even taught a rat brain grown in a dish how to fly an F-22: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20041018/brain.html

Unless you want to counter that brains grown in a lab also have souls, in which case I would counter that you are simply over-complicating things to forcibly make your theory fit. After all, at that point a soul will have been directly tied to brain material and not to a creature.
elfprince13 wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Quote:
Engrave this Quote It is known that there is an infinite number of worlds, but that not every one is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite nuber of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so if every planet in the Universe has a populations of zero then the entire population of the Universe must also be zero, and any people you may actually meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
rthprog wrote:

To really test it, you'd have to clone the same fetus, raise both fetuses to a full sized baby under identical in-vitro conditions, and then transfer the babies to identical rooms with no human interaction and automated to provide food and light on identical schedules. So I lied, if/when human cloning is perfected, it would be possible to test the hypothesis if you were willing be arrested for false imprisonment (or thrown in the loony bin) after you published your paper.

When I said cloning I was referring to making a complete copy of one adult, not one solely based on DNA.

Code:
if (true)
{
    return "I exist";
}

Thats like tatooing "I think therefore I am" on a dead guy and claiming he has consciousness.
Will_W wrote:

Code:
if (true)
{
    return "I exist";
}

Thats like tatooing "I think therefore I am" on a dead guy and claiming he has consciousness.

if an object can tell you that it exists, then it "knows" it exists. That does not mean, however, that it can make any practical use of this knowledge; there is a big difference between "knowing" and "understanding"...

an object that knows it exists, yet cannot use that knowledge is not conscious. To be conscious, an object must react, preferably based to some extent on memory.
Will_W wrote:

Code:
if (true)
{
    return "I exist";
}

Not it isn't, not at all. If it can execute code ("think"), then it is able to run the if(true), thus it exists. If it can't execute the code, then clearly the if (true) will never run thus it'll never say it exists.

It is a near perfect match to "I think therefore I am", just replacing "think" with "execute code" - but only because we don't have a computer that can truly think yet (which is why I identify it as the hard part)

If the computer is dead, but has that program loaded, it will still never claim existence since it is unable to run the code to state that it exists. Same with a dead guy.

@rthprog: Exactly. Being self aware is simple and overrated. It is the act of thinking that is hard.
It doesn't know that it exists, it just knows the words "I exists"
Will_W wrote:
It doesn't know that it exists, it just knows the words "I exists"

You can replace the "return 'I exist'" with whatever you want Very Happy Rolling Eyes

You don't *know* that you exist, you only believe that you exist in some potential reality.

Would you rather I have this instead?

Code:
bool i_exist = false;
if (true)
{
i_exist = true;
}

There, now it knows that it exists Rolling Eyes
Kllrnohj wrote:
Would you rather I have this instead?

Code:
bool i_exist = false;
if (true)
{
i_exist = true;
}
Come on, the universe isn't written in C - it's written in Java! It used to be C, but sorcerers hacked it too much.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours