does anyone here that programs in asm know of any emulators/compilers/anything that works on a mac, so i can learn asm?

p.s. how do you get a image in your sig?
You need to get rid of two things:
1. Your mac
2. the spaces between your img tags.
You could certainly run Brass with Mono for your assembler.
As for emulators, I believe you're out of luck. But that's what virtualization is for, yes?
I think alot of people on Revsoft use macs.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
You need to get rid of two things:
1. Your mac
2. the spaces between your img tags.
Don't get rid of your Mac. If need be you can always purchase a copy of Windows, run Boot Camp and you can run any Windows program - installed under the Windows Partition. That is one reason why I prefer Mac - Mac always run Windows but Windows can't always run Mac. Those of us with Macs have Macs for a reason, whether it be for Video Editing or Novel Writing - and don't say a Windows can do just that, everyone knows they can but the reason why Macs are more common for these is because the OS is easier to navigate and the interface is more user-friendly.

I have friends that are dedicated Windows users, but after using a Mac they are switching their work computers over to Macintosh but leaving they're personal computer as Windows.

In my opinion, Mac is better suited for almost every task except gaming and programming. I see a lot of Graphic Design, Photographers, Video editing companies and writers/editors with Mac and CAD, programmers and gamers with Windows. However, if someone were to come up to me and ask what OS to get, Windows or Mac, I'd say Mac. You have convenience and the ability to run Windows if situations demand. And please don't ask why one should just get Windows, I've already answered you.

And yes, you'll need to remove the space inside the image tags.
well one things for sure... im not getting rid of my mac.

and also, my sig still wont work.
Rhombus P. wrote:

Looks like it's working now.

Swivelgames, what about Hackintosh? Then you don't have to waste money on something with a white logo on it that iss $500 more than the comparable non-Mac hardware.
KermMartian wrote:
Rhombus P. wrote:

Looks like it's working now.

Swivelgames, what about Hackintosh? Then you don't have to waste money on something with a white logo on it that iss $500 more than the comparable non-Mac hardware.

It's all about the little white logo Wink
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
That is one reason why I prefer Mac - Mac always run Windows but Windows can't always run Mac.

Of course an OS can't run hardware, that doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Those of us with Macs have Macs for a reason

A dislike of money combined with a love affair with shiny things?

Quote:
but the reason why Macs are more common for these is because the OS is easier to navigate and the interface is more user-friendly.

Nope, not at all. Video/picture editing was one of the few (as in only) things that the old architecture was better than x86 for. Since Macs are now x86, there isn't any performance difference (the last benchmarks I saw actually had OS X trailing due to some libraries still running in emulation - I assume those have been replaced with proper ports by now).

And the OS X interface is *not* more user-friendly, hence why Windows has a vastly superior market share.

Quote:
In my opinion, Mac is better suited for almost every task except gaming and programming. I see a lot of Graphic Design, Photographers, Video editing companies and writers/editors with Mac and CAD, programmers and gamers with Windows. However, if someone were to come up to me and ask what OS to get, Windows or Mac, I'd say Mac. You have convenience and the ability to run Windows if situations demand. And please don't ask why one should just get Windows, I've already answered you.

I'd say get a PC and then put Windows or Linux on it. Given how stupid expensive Macs are, there just isn't a reason to get one unless you are so whipped that you will drop upwards of $500 just for the mediocre OS X (face it, it really isn't all that great or special)
On top of Brass and Mono, there is some more assembly-related software for Macs by Revsoft (like Will_W said, some people there use Macs). emulator, assembler, IDE that isn't finished yet but should be soon
Quote:
And the OS X interface is *not* more user-friendly, hence why Windows has a vastly superior market share.

the only reason windows has more market share is because MS lets windows run on any computer, while apple only lets mac run on Apple computers. if suddenly apple allowed MAC to run on PC's, i asure you it would be the other way around.

Quote:
I'd say get a PC and then put Windows or Linux on it. Given how stupid expensive Macs are, there just isn't a reason to get one unless you are so whipped that you will drop upwards of $500 just for the mediocre OS X (face it, it really isn't all that great or special)

lets just say, i'm not getting a PC. i may get windows to run on my mac for programing and games, but defiantly not cause i like it.
Rhombus P. wrote:
the only reason windows has more market share is because MS lets windows run on any computer, while apple only lets mac run on Apple computers. if suddenly apple allowed MAC to run on PC's, i asure you it would be the other way around.

History fail. Apple *DID* let other companies build machines to run the Mac OS. The company almost went bankrupt as a result, and good ol' Steve Jobs is the one who terminated the program. He even had OS 7.7 renamed to 8.0 so that they could legally terminate the 3rd party licensing.

So no, if Apple opened up OS X nothing would change. Most likely its market share would drop since it will encounter tons of compatibility and stability issues, causing the public to become disillusioned with Apple.

In terms of actual OS quality, OS X is rather sub par, with extremely limited compatibility.
bfr wrote:
On top of Brass and Mono, there is some more assembly-related software for Macs by Revsoft (like Will_W said, some people there use Macs). emulator, assembler, IDE that isn't finished yet but should be soon
To bring this back on topic, I'm quoting the only piece of actual helpful, topiacl information posted thus far. Razz
I found kllrnohj's post to be very topiacl Very Happy
Quote:

thanks, the emulator works good, but the assembler is in a weird file type, and wont run, any help on that?
Rhombus P. wrote:
Quote:

thanks, the emulator works good, but the assembler is in a weird file type, and wont run, any help on that?
It's a zip file containing a PowerPC 32-bit executable and an Intel 32-bit executable, what's the problem? Do you have an Intel Mac or a PPC one?
ya, i have a intel mac, but for some reason when ever i try to open it it opens in terminal, and then terminal says, "cannot execute binary file" or somthine like that. ill try it agian when i get home and experiment a little, but right now im at school.
Rhombus P. wrote:
ya, i have a intel mac, but for some reason when ever i try to open it it opens in terminal, and then terminal says, "cannot execute binary file" or somthine like that. ill try it agian when i get home and experiment a little, but right now im at school.
Ah, ok. That's very strange, check that it's permissioned +x (if that's even something you need to worry about on OS X?).
Rhombus P. wrote:

That usually means you're trying to run a Linux (ELF) or win32 (PE) binary on OS X (Mach-O).
okay, im home now and i tested it, and what it says when i try to open it is

Bus error
logout
[Process Complete]

i looked it up and it looks like other people are having the same problems.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours