I showed this off a little bit earlier, just with the logo, but now the site is in its natural habitat:
http://beta.taricorp.net/

I've built everything from the ground up; server-side is powered by Django.
Post impressions/suggestions of any sort below.
It's very blue. Blue is my favorite color.

It seems cool, but there's something about it that drives me insane. Could be the colors, I'm not sure. I can't pin it down.
Someone needs to buy you a color wheel or something. Seriously.
Needs moar gradient/glass effects and rounded corners. Also needs moar BETA stickers.
and also the logo should be transparent and not have a white background. You'll want to include pngfix.js to fix it in older IEs too.
elfprince13 wrote:
and also the logo should be transparent and not have a white background. You'll want to include pngfix.js to fix it in older IEs too.
Oh, I was being sarcastic about all the Web 2.0 effects, but what you said is something actually useful, you should definitely do both of those, Tari.
For sure with the transparency on the logo. I haven't gotten around to it yet, since I changed the overall background color late last night.

And as for the colors, I'm looking for input on those. I had it just white, which I liked, but others complained that the white margins were distracting.
As for that blue, I thought it was hideous, but others didn't mind it. It's back to white now, though.
I think the white space to the left is too large if the logo was made thinner and there was more items there it would be better and less blinding, perhaps use a light grey for a background color rather than the white or use a lighter BG color in your content div.
<thread-hijack> Hey Tari, I keep meaning to remind you, how is the contest judging going? </thread-hijack>
<thread-revival>
Site it now in its third iteration. V2 was with a Wordpress backend, which made things very easy for me to maintain but was rather brittle in terms of customizations I could make easily.

Now there's V3, which is a completely static site generated by Hyde. I haven't implemented anything for several of the main sections yet and some of the rarely-changing content could use more revision, but it's mostly online now.

http://www.taricorp.net/

I've done a bit of work in adding a commenting system as well, but have yet to iron out all the bugs. Thoughts?
If you could make the symbol at the top along with the random slogan a link to home that would be useful. Most people expect a home link somewhere in that area and thus it would improve accessibility.
Interestingly, not doing that was a decision in order to increase accessibility. Suggested by the WCAG guidelines, such that the first link on the page links down to the content block. I do agree, though, and have been tripped up by that a bit in my own browsing/testing as well.

Possible solution is to throw in a <link> in my document head which links to the content block as well- at least in links, it displays all <link>s (ugh pun) at the top of the page, but I can't speak for any other user agents (such as screen readers). Probably a worthwhile tradeoff..
Maybe move the "Home < Taricorp.net" thing to the other side and make it clearer that the "Home" link leads to the content. Maybe do Taricorp.net > Blog and have it on the left side in place of the right.

Edit: Oh I see it now, yeah move that to the other side, I think that would work much better.
That looks great, Tari, and you followed the theme you had shown us a few months back!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours