Shhhhhh - let's not get into specifics. Evil or Very Mad
Is it bad that Eminem lyrics are suddenly running through my head? ("crazy-insane or insane crazy?") Did anyone get to have some festive pie today in order to fully celebrate pi day?
I'd sometimes do things like memorizing powers of two and digits of pi for fun. My method would simply be look at the next digit, retype the entire number from memory, and if I got it right, continue by looking at the next digit; otherwise start from the first digit and restart the process from the beginning. Repeat as many times as necessary to memorize the desired number of digits.

Since I didn't find a use for digits of pi, I quickly forgot most of the digits I had memorized. Currently, 3.1415926535 is about as far as I remember.

Powers of two are a lot more useful to me (since I'm into computing and software and such), so I remember them better. 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096 8192 16384 32768 65536 131072 262144. I once had more than that memorized but since I rarely needed anything beyond that, they didn't get permanently committed to memory.
I hope that most of us have powers of two memorized; I use them far too much in my professional work and personal projects to not have at least up to 65536 memorized. Smile That's a great method for number memorization; I should try the same for pi to build up my memorized quantity for next year's Pi Day.
Yeah, I think this method works well for things like this where the first items are the most important to remember, since they have to be recalled the most often, and it also ensures that items in the middle remain memorized while you're working on later items. It sort of dynamically adjusts itself in a sense, so that you end up spending more time on the difficult items where it's needed and wasting less on the parts you remember well.

In high school I came up with a somewhat similar method where I would quiz myself on a set of items and repeat all the incorrect ones in order (eliminating questions I answered correctly each time) until I finally get them all correct, then repeat the whole cycle several times for good measure. It turns out that TI's StudyCards app implements a similar method as an option, IIRC.
Travis, I recall studying like that way back in grammar school, but it's been a long time since I had to memorize something like that. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
I hope that most of us have powers of two memorized; I use them far too much in my professional work and personal projects to not have at least up to 65536 memorized. Smile

I don't. Sad However, I find it fairly easy to multiply off of a common number (64 is ^6, 1024 is ^10, etc.).
Yup yup, that's a good trick to use. Smile If you wrote assembly I think you'd probably have them memorized. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Yup yup, that's a good trick to use. Smile If you wrote assembly I think you'd probably have them memorized. Smile

If I wrote assembly......... I wish I could. I tried that once and couldn't make it past the first day because none of the computers I can work on can run everything I'm supposed to in order to make it all work.

I did drop Python a while back (due to not understanding certain things that were made clear through learning BASIC), so maybe I'll go and try that language now.
That's why you use the Doors CS SDK; it's pre-configured to run on just about anything, as long as Python (and on non-Windows, mono) is installed. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
That's why you use the Doors CS SDK; it's pre-configured to run on just about anything, as long as Python (and on non-Windows, mono) is installed. Smile
This.
You should already have Python installed, so that is a plus. Also, I think you are running Windows, so just downloading the SDK and some command prompt trickery, you can compile programs Smile
Thanks muchly, Tanner. Smile I don't want to sidetrack this thread too badly, though.
Happy Pi Day!
Hello, all! MIT is announcing their admissions decisions tonight:

Happy Pi Day everyone!
Happy Pi day to all! I hope you all manage to get either some Pi or pie today. I think this is all I remember at this point:

Tau is better.
It'll be a lot of fun on pi day, 2015 (or would that be 2016 with rounding)

KermMartian wrote:
I think this is all I remember at this point:

You must have a pretty good memory. That's what you knew back in 2010.
Emerov wrote:
It'll be a lot of fun on pi day, 2015 (or would that be 2016 with rounding)

KermMartian wrote:
I think this is all I remember at this point:

You must have a pretty good memory. That's what you knew back in 2010.
So it is, good eye and good catch. Smile You must be more of an optimist than me; to me that would mean that I need to get cracking on learning more. Wink
Happy Pi day! Just heard about it TODAY. Shock

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours