It seems hard to believe that Cemetech's first Happy Pi Day article was six years ago in 2003, but here we are today, four revisions of the site later, once again celebrating this very notable of tech enthusiast holidays. So have round apple pastries, and celebrate the most famous of the irrational numbers with us here once again. Oh, and as noted on ticalc.org, the US House of Representatives has officially made March 14th Pi Day.
Here's first 4 million digits of pi http://www.zenwerx.com/pi.php
Because that's not spam.
Do you think I should try and memorize that? Neutral
Longest string of a single digit in there: 999999
Maybe someone just had a six digit calculator Razz

EDIT: This was written before the original post was edited
Completely rewrote the first post and promoted this to the front page. Happy Pi Day, everyone!
I liked at the clock and was like, hey it's pi day, I bet there's an article on cemetech!

Been a while since I visited here.
noahbaby94 wrote:
It seems hard to believe that Cemetech's first Happy Pi Day article was six years ago in 2003, but here we are today, four revisions of the site later, once again celebrating this very notable of tech enthusiast holidays.

You haven't even been around for 6 months yet Razz
@jbr: I found '9999999' Razz

Happy Pi Day everyone =P
swivelgames wrote:

Happy Pi Day everyone =P

Same here. It's about half way down.
Would anyone be interested in the output of a program I intend to write just for this that would give us the longest single character repetition in the document?

EDIT: I wrote the program, and it claims there was an instance of 7 digits in a row that were all 3's (that is the first in the document to have that length).
swivelgames wrote:

Happy Pi Day everyone =P

I wrote that post before the edit, when there was only the first million digits. Half way down the first four million digits would have been outside of my search range.
Glenn wrote:
Would anyone be interested in the output of a program I intend to write just for this that would give us the longest single character repetition in the document?

EDIT: I wrote the program, and it claims there was an instance of 7 digits in a row that were all 3's (that is the first in the document to have that length).

Code:
import re
pi = "".join(re.split('\s+', re.findall('<pre>([0-9]\.\s)</pre>', pagesource)[0]))
pichains = re.findall('([0-9]{2,})', pi)
longest = ""
for chain in pichains:
  if len(chain) > len(longest):
    longest = chain
print chain
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
noahbaby94 wrote:
It seems hard to believe that Cemetech's first Happy Pi Day article was six years ago in 2003, but here we are today, four revisions of the site later, once again celebrating this very notable of tech enthusiast holidays.

I know Kerm re-wrote it I had 1 million digits of pi up.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
noahbaby94 wrote:

You must have missed the part where I rewrote his post and promoted it to the front page so there wouldn't be duplicate Happy Pi Day threads floating around everywhere.
It seems I did miss the part where you re-wrote from your point of view instead of noahbaby's Evil or Very Mad
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
It seems I did miss the part where you re-wrote from your point of view instead of noahbaby's Evil or Very Mad
Indeed, hence your confusion. Glad that we were able to get that straightened out. Smile

On-topic just a bit more, did anyone actually do anything to celebrate pi day?
I ate moar pi. actually, it was just one of the small cherry kind in a box, but it was all I had.
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Indeed, hence your confusion. Glad that we were able to get that straightened out. Smile

On-topic just a bit more, did anyone actually do anything to celebrate pi day?

I wore my Pi Day shirt. My sister made it for me a few years back.
Happy Pi Day 2010, everyone! I wish you many happy round apple pastries and returns of the day. Smile I think I'm at 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582 right now.
Celebrate Pi Day
With this nice Pi Day Haiku!
Pie sounds good right now...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours