elfprince13 wrote:
Razz so you *do* still have to tell it what kind of formatting you want. granted, being able to pass in an object is a cool, but I'm having trouble envisioning a situation where that would be more useful than the old way of doing it.

Yes, but you don't have to specify the *TYPE* of the object. That is the point. Formatting stays the same regardless of the number's TYPE (indeed, regardless of the object type - classes can handle the format string however they want). The old way requires you to know the type.

Old busted way is basically sprintf - everything breaks if the type is wrong.

And honestly, who wants to remember if they are supposed to use %s or %d or %f or is it %F etc.... Especially in a language like Python where you never care what the type is - right up until you want to print it. I can't tell you how many times I've just done

Code:
print 'blah blah: %s' % str(some_argument)

because I didn't know what the type would be.
on that note....the only thing that irks me about python occasionally is that when you print an object or try to concatenate it to a string it doesn't automatically call __str__() on the object.
It doesn't? O_o That's a new one on me.
calc84maniac wrote:
It doesn't? O_o That's a new one on me.

nope, or at least not always. For example.

Code:
>>> print sabacc.players
[<sabacc.SabaccPlayer instance at 0x8e698>, <sabacc.SabaccPlayer instance at 0x8e6c0>, <sabacc.SabaccPlayer instance at 0x8e6e8>, <sabacc.SabaccPlayer instance at 0x8e710>]
>>> print [player.__str__() for player in sabacc.players]
['Name: Bob\tCredits: 189', 'Name: Fred\tCredits: 276', 'Name: Sally\tCredits: 335', 'Name: Harold\tCredits: 350']
>>> print sabacc.players[0]
Name: Bob       Credits: 189
elfprince13 wrote:
on that note....the only thing that irks me about python occasionally is that when you print an object or try to concatenate it to a string it doesn't automatically call __str__() on the object.

Of course it doesn't. It calls repr() on it, which in turn invokes the class's __repr__() method.

Code:
>>> class foo:
...     def __repr__(self):
...             return "see?"
>>> class bar:
...     def __str__(self):
...             return 'heh'
>>> foo()
see?
>>> bar()
<__main__.bar object at 0x027C20B0>
>>> print(foo())
see?
>>> print(bar())
heh
>>>

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours