After being in my projects queue for about two years, I have finally gotten around to finishing Clove 2, the second prototype of my dataglove. Clove 2 is a bluetooth dataglove used for one-handed typing. It uses a 31-combination finger chording design with three modes to allow every key on a standard keyboard to be typed with minimal effort. The bluetooth functionality removes the need to tether it to a computer, and since it profiles as a standard HID Keyboard, a simple translation layer to perform key remapping, sticky modifiers, and mode switching is the only software required. It consists of three components, the glove itself, the bluetooth module, and a custom charger for the Bluetooth module.

I have released photos, a video, and full plans and instructions for building your own Clove 2, including parts lists and schematics. Check out the video below and click through to the Project Page for all of the information.

Clove 2 Bluetooth Dataglove Project Page

Click on any of the thumbnails below for the full-sized image
Dataglove overview Glove alone, back view Glove alone, palm view Inside the Bluetooth module

Sweet, nice work Kerm. Cool The movements of your hand remind me of sign language.
bfr wrote:
Sweet, nice work Kerm. Cool It kind of reminds me of sign language.
Actually, if I decide to use flex sensors instead of contacts in my next design (if there is one), then ASL translation might very well be possible.
KermMartian wrote:
bfr wrote:
Sweet, nice work Kerm. Cool It kind of reminds me of sign language.
Actually, if I decide to use flex sensors instead of contacts in my next design (if there is one), then ASL translation might very well be possible.
Not quite because many signs include whole are movement and using both hands. You could maybe get the whole ASL alphabet though.
Ah, my error, I was too vague. I did indeed mean just the alphabet, not the ideographic subset of ASL. The alphabet can be spelled out with one hand, correct?
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, my error, I was too vague. I did indeed mean just the alphabet, not the ideographic subset of ASL. The alphabet can be spelled out with one hand, correct?
Indeed, Kerm, indeed.

EDIT:
In fact, here's the chart itself: Link.
Heh. I loaded up hackaday this morning, and what was I greeted with at the top of the page?
http://www.hackaday.com/2008/07/12/clove-2-glove-for-one-handed-input/

Hackaday wrote:

[Christopher] put some extra effort in to making this user friendly by adding some features that you might not have thought of at first. For example, the ALT and shift keys work similar to a phone interface. When you press them, the next keystroke is effected. There is also audio feedback to let you know that this has happened. Each normal keystroke makes a click, while each modifier has a unique tone.

They're not being stingy with information either. The site has a complete writeup of how to make the glove yourself. Each step has a detailed description and pictures as well as downloadable schematics.

This method of input seems so unobtrusive. We can visualize this being used in warehouses or even by doctors for different types of input when keeping your hands available is necessary. Maybe a sock version should be next in line!

Very nice.
Thanks, Tari, I was happy to see that as well. Welcome, Hackaday'ers.
It looks like you may have some buyers for this by the way the people at hack a day are talking lol
Hackaday wrote:
[Christopher] put some extra effort in to making this user friendly by adding some features that you might not have thought of at first. For example, the ALT and shift keys work similar to a phone interface. When you press them, the next keystroke is effected.
This person clearly needs to use his TI calculator more often! Laughing

This looks really sweet, Kerm. If I had $60 to spend and adequate soldering skills, I'd definitely make one for myself! Smile
I hope someone does indeed make one; I'd be interested to see their changes and improvements.
If I ever did I'd make the letter numbers the same as their respective binary finger positions (in an inverse binary finger counting way, where a downed finger is a 1, and an up finger is a 0.)
Therefore since M is 13 in the alphabet, the finger position would be middle, ring, and thumb fingers pulled in.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/04/peregrine-wires-you-into-a-keyboard-we-go-hands-in/

Saw this on engadget when reviewing the recent doodads and gizmos. Looks a _tic_ familiar no? lol Not saying Kerm has a patent on this or anything, but it is humorous that Clove is bluetooth and this thing looks USB wired.
I don't have a patent, but I do have intellectual property on my idea and implementation; this seems a bit close for comfort. i_c-y showed me the link for this, and I was a bit taken aback by the blatant (although as you say, inferior) ripoff. Bleh
Yeah, I posted a link to engadget covering Clove and this new glove in #tcpa earlier yesterday. And I agree it may be a little close for comfort. I'd suggest contacting the developer?
CDI wrote:
Yeah, I posted a link to engadget covering Clove and this new glove in #tcpa earlier yesterday. And I agree it may be a little close for comfort. I'd suggest contacting the developer?
I think I shall do that. Thanks for letting me know about this; I'll let you guys know what their dev(s) say.
KermMartian wrote:
CDI wrote:
I think I shall do that. Thanks for letting me know about this; I'll let you guys know what their dev(s) say.
Note to self, get on this at some point.
*Not trying to necropost here. Wink

I was searching the internet to see what else was out there (if something was cheaper/could be combined with this), and I saw a "mouse glove" that uses visual sensors (base of thumb, tip of index and middle fingers) to act like a mouse, but only when in a "neutral flat position". I was wondering if the following adjustments could be made to clove 2:

1) A mouse feature (like mentioned above), so someone could navigate a little easier

2) Using 2 different gloves to break up the finger combinatios (so you wouldn't have 6 functions per pad). You could make each hand only have functions for what that hand could normally touch on a standard keyboard.

I personally believe that adding these 2 "abilities" to a clove 2 device would greatly increase speed/efficiency, and overall usability (not to mention higher market potential Razz). Would they be feasible to add? What are your thoughts on these additions?
1) Here's what I have planned for Clove 3, should it ever materialize: Accelerometer on the back of the glove, used for mousing. Make a fist, accelerometer is activated. Tilt your hand to move the mouse. Release the fist to stop the mouse. Release only the thumb/index finger to left/right click

(2) Yup, this would definitely be something to explore; I'd be curious to see if it would make things fast or slower. However, it might double the number of RF modules and microcontrollers I would need.

Yeah, I think it would be feasible to at least explore these ideas at some point. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours