There's not really a good way to explain this, except its a pong variation.

Try it, and see if you can figure out whats going on Razz had my physics teacher entertained for a good 15 minutes

the controls are W+S, and Up+Down, and its 2 player only at this point.

Download Here
Ah, very nice. I once attempted something similar, but I could never get the collisions quite right.
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, very nice. I once attempted something similar, but I could never get the collisions quite right.

I cheated and didn't really use collisions, just checked the distance from the circle, and if the normal line from the center fell within a paddle.
Excellent, that's a very intelligent way to solve the problem without mucking about with pxlTests. Shouldn't be too much slower than a mess of tests, either.
KermMartian wrote:
Excellent, that's a very intelligent way to solve the problem without mucking about with pxlTests. Shouldn't be too much slower than a mess of tests, either.

lol, besides which, java doesn't really have pxlTests Wink

[edit]

I just uploaded a new version with rotation on the ball as well, *I* dont think it looks as good, but I had a request for it, if anyone wants to take a peek and let me know what you think, that would be great.

new version is Here (if you want the old version the old link still works)
How would you do the equivalent of graphics-based collision detection in Java, then? Is it not possible?
not that I'm aware of
KermMartian wrote:
How would you do the equivalent of graphics-based collision detection in Java, then? Is it not possible?

Who the hell uses "graphics based" collision detection?
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Who the hell uses "graphics based" collision detection?
Everyone writing TI-BASIC games that doesn't want to iterate and calculate their way through a list or matrix to see if something hit something else?
KermMartian wrote:
Everyone writing TI-BASIC games that doesn't want to iterate and calculate their way through a list or matrix to see if something hit something else?

When did this change from Java/computer languages to TI-Basic?
Er... He was just answering your question. In TI-BASIC I too use graphics based collision detection usually.
It seems fun but it is basicly circle pong though each paddle can only go on half of the screen.
TheStorm wrote:
It seems fun but it is basicly circle pong though each paddle can only go on half of the screen.

yes?
TheStorm wrote:

Did the name "RotoPong" imply something different? Hell, everything you just said I inferred from the title of the thread Rolling Eyes
EPIC BUMP TIME. http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=840
I just played against my self...and lost...

Besides the obvious. That is pretty neat! only thing I dislike is that you can nock the ball back onto your own side and thusly score against your self.
Yeah, though I find that happens most often when you're trying to be too tricky and spin it.
I remember there was a calc Pong contest at MaxCoderz and Greenfire and someone made a version of this in ASM for the 83+, it was really neat. Not sure if its lost or not though.
I think it's not lost: http://www.cemetech.net/projects/uti/viewtopic.php?p=118400#118400

It was mentioned when I posted about this the first time, on UTI, way back when.
KermMartian wrote:
You can use an Area to do this. The intersect(Area rhs) function sets the Area to the intersected area (essentially an AND). You can then use isEmpty() to see if there is anything in the area. If true, then they collided. This isn't quite pixel-based, but it allows vector-based graphics collision.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours