Here's a list of things I need to do. Bug me on a frequent basis about any of them that intrigue you, I need motivation.

* Finish the new SFGP site
* Finish my advanced Basic tutorials and put the contest page over on the new site
* Finish iPaint
* Experiment some more with adrive.
* Finish my PyCardGames api + PySabacc. maybe follow it up with PyNuts.
* TBG
* Update some of my java games to actually be coded well. In particular, the helicopter game is a dirty hack, and *not* thread safe like it should be. Also, speed should be tied to a timer and not frame rate. Maybe rewrite TanXz and my slime volleyball mods to have good graphics too....
* Finish the NetFalcon and the GCode Adjuster, and find schools that will pay me for them.
* Document my random Python snippets and put them online.
* Make the Tomahawk CMS be in a more generically useable state.
* Polish up a story or three.

Other things I'm doing that take priority:
* Village2Village Project website (reason for taking priority: $$$)
* Substitute teaching (reason for taking priority: $$$)
* Research project on graph theory + geographic networks (reason for taking priority: gets my name in a research publication before starting college, and possibly a free trip to California)
The game engine for Sabacc is almost complete, and once I finish a couple more functions its on to writing the network code and "driver" classes for AIs and local and remote clients. For now I'm just using a randomly driven AI test class. PyCardGames seems to be pretty complete, and if anyone wants to test it (or just give some feedback on the api), the code is here and the documentation is here. A random coolness to generate card images is here.

[edit]
transcript of a randomly controlled game. I just need to finish the code that determines who won, settling a tie, and handing out the money in the pot. I should also add a line that displays the current pot totals. The revealed cards are the ones each player has placed in the neutral field to prevent a shift, the unrevealed cards are the rest of their hand. At the end of the game, when someone calls it, all cards are locked in.

Code:
Gametype: 'Standard Sabacc'
60 cards left in deck

Players:
        Name: Bob       Credits: 200
        Cards:  ---,  ---,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Fred      Credits: 300

Name: Sally     Credits: 250

Name: Harold    Credits: 400

60 cards left in deck

Players:
        Name: Bob       Credits: 199
        Cards:  8 of Staves,  ---,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Fred      Credits: 299

Name: Sally     Credits: 244

Name: Harold    Credits: 391

60 cards left in deck

Players:
        Name: Bob       Credits: 194

Name: Fred      Credits: 294
        Cards:  Master of Coins,  ---,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Sally     Credits: 238

Name: Harold    Credits: 383

59 cards left in deck

Players:
        Name: Bob       Credits: 192

Name: Fred      Credits: 288
        Cards:  Master of Coins,  ---,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Sally     Credits: 227
        Cards:  ---,  ---,  5 of Flasks,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Harold    Credits: 369

59 cards left in deck

Players:
        Name: Bob       Credits: 188
        Cards:  8 of Staves,  Endurance,  10 of Sabers,  Mistress of Sabers, 

Name: Fred      Credits: 283
        Cards:  Master of Coins,  3 of Sabers,  Endurance,  6 of Coins, 

Name: Sally     Credits: 217
        Cards:  Moderation,  8 of Coins,  5 of Flasks,  11 of Sabers,  7 of Staves, 

Name: Harold    Credits: 358
        Cards:  3 of Staves,  4 of Staves,  7 of Flasks,  11 of Coins, 

{'Bob': (24, 23, 'Pure Sabacc'), 'Sally': (17, 17, None), 'Harold': (-24, 25, 'Bombed Out'), 'Fred': (15, 15, None)}
[(-24, 15, 17, 24), (25, 15, 17, 23), ('Bombed Out', None, None, 'Pure Sabacc')]

Code:
Name: Bob       Credits: 189    Score: 19
Name: Fred      Credits: 284    Score: 3
Name: Sally     Credits: 223    Score: Bombed Out
Name: Harold    Credits: 359    Score: 16
Sally bombed out with a total of 39 and must contribute 95 Credits to the Sabacc Pool.
Bob wins the Main Pool (95 Credits) with a total of 19.

All that's left for it to be functional is to finish tie-resolution. Then I get to write the client driver classes and a smarter AI.

[edit]
I got bored and started writing a z80 emulator in Python. I've finished the handlers for all the ex and ld opcodes.
How's iPaint coming along? I really like that program, I hope it'll get some work done on it soon.
yoman82 wrote:
How's iPaint coming along? I really like that program, I hope it'll get some work done on it soon.

I made a special topic for iPaint, because its been getting a lot of interest.
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3443
The long-term contest and tutorial pages have been ported over to my new site layout (although I didn't spend any time working on writing more of it).

Here's the new page: http://sfgp.cemetech.net/?page=badvtoc
Just to prove I'm being productive.

I rewrote the base for my emulator in Java, (for a speed boost). Still working on adding operations, but we'll get there.
elfprince13 wrote:
I rewrote the base for my emulator in Java, (for a speed boost).
XD
magicdanw wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I rewrote the base for my emulator in Java, (for a speed boost).
XD

Java gets its bad rap from
a) being taught as an introductory language to people who don't understand programming, and in a lot of cases, taught by people who don't understand it either.
b) Swing kinda sucks as a UI, and AWT is primitive.
c) the API is ENORMOUS.

http://blog.dhananjaynene.com/2008/07/performance-comparison-c-java-python-ruby-jython-jruby-groovy/
On a sidenote, I totally forgot that you had a subdomain at Cemetech. Another note to self, I think the domain name comes due very soon...
KermMartian wrote:
On a sidenote, I totally forgot that you had a subdomain at Cemetech. Another note to self, I think the domain name comes due very soon...

How much is it? If I can pull together any spare cash I might be able to contribute this year. We can discuss it on AIM....
elfprince13 wrote:

c) the API is ENORMOUS.

Errmm... how is a huge API a bad thing? If you're a good enough coder that you think you can do things better than the library writers, then you're wasting your talent by coding in Java.
@elfprince13: No, don't worry about it. Smile
@foamy3: I'm personally not a fan of Java; the only time I tried making something with it it took me days to put together about 100 lines of code, wading through all the different libraries.
foamy3 wrote:

Errmm... how is a huge API a bad thing? If you're a good enough coder that you think you can do things better than the library writers, then you're wasting your talent by coding in Java.

It is a good thing, but part of the reputation for java bloat comes from the size of the installation for the runtime.

KermMartian wrote:
@foamy3: I'm personally not a fan of Java; the only time I tried making something with it it took me days to put together about 100 lines of code, wading through all the different libraries.

That's part of the learning curve, just like any other language.....though I'm curious as to what you were doing with it? And Sun's javadoc generated API references (online and downloadable) are much better and far more comprehensive than the documentation I've seen for any other language, with the possible exception of php. Python's starting to be ok with the release of 2.6, but for the most its hard to navigate and there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive index of the standard modules.
KermMartian wrote:
@elfprince13: No, don't worry about it. Smile

I don't like Java, either. The end of my post was a jab against it. But I don't see how the API can slow you down. If you can't find something, either code it yourself or ask someone who knows. You only have to learn it once.
elfprince13 wrote:

They both epic suck. A lack of any good UI layout tools doesn't help matters, either.

Quote:
c) the API is ENORMOUS.

That would be a *good* thing.

Also, you missed some reasons. I'll sum it up simply as "braindead super-retarded language design decisions". Java forces good programmers to be mediocre.

@Kerm: You might want to remove that statement, as it really just means you suck at navigating basic documentation and/or google Wink
@Kllrnohj: Either that, or I am used to a more intuitive interface. Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

They both epic suck.

Fortunately there's SWT/

Quote:
Also, you missed some reasons. I'll sum it up simply as "braindead super-retarded language design decisions". Java forces good programmers to be mediocre.

The only thing I'm not really a fan of is the general lack of unsigned values (char's the only real unsigned numeric datatype).
While we're debating about GUIs, what python library should I use for a fullscreen, realtime video app with overlays? Ideally I'd like to be able to put text and geometric shapes in the overlays, and the image from a video stream in the background.
Why would you use python for anything in realtime?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours