DShiznit wrote:
It's not logical to assume that someone much older and more experienced than you would know their own <font color=red>censored</font> better than you would?

Correct. Age and experience do not equate knowledge. Indeed, I have seen many cases where age and experience kept the person locked in their incorrect ways, thus making them worse than someone with minimal experience.
You're missing the point of what I'm saying. I'm not saying he knows more in general than any of us, he probably doesn't. I'm saying he knows more about his own shit, being an experienced developer, than any of us, who aren't experienced developers yet.
Depends on what you consider experienced...

I believe what you're trying to say is that Luquado is wiser then us, and therefore we should take his word more seriously then others?
he's saying that Luq has spent significantly more time working with torque.

also, TGE 1.5 is about 2 days work at my new job (substitute teaching).....but I've got a few things I need to pay off first, but I may very well get my own license.
Sounds good. I'm going to get one anyway like we planned.
swivelgames wrote:
Sounds good. I'm going to get one anyway like we planned.

Okay Smile thank you.
You speak C++, Swivel?
Not fluently, but I've been teaching myself lately.

Mostly I was going to buy a license to help out the TBG team so they'd have a wider selection of feasable resources. But that wasn't the only thing I was going to use it for.
DShiznit wrote:
You're missing the point of what I'm saying. I'm not saying he knows more in general than any of us, he probably doesn't. I'm saying he knows more about his own <font color=red>censored</font>, being an experienced developer, than any of us, who aren't experienced developers yet.

No, actually, I fully understood your point. You missed mine. Experience at something does not equate knowledge in it, especially not when it comes to software development. For instance, there are many C# developers out there, but of all of them with 5+ years of experience how many are intimately familiar with the brand spanking new 3.5 features? Torque is still being actively developed, after all, it isn't stagnant. Indeed, I do believe that that is the topic of this thread, is it not?

Again, experience does not equate knowledge. I'm not saying this guy doesn't know his stuff, I'm saying that your statement wasn't a logical progression like you claimed.
Kllrnohj wrote:
No, actually, I fully understood your point. You missed mine. Experience at something does not equate knowledge in it, especially not when it comes to software development. For instance, there are many C# developers out there, but of all of them with 5+ years of experience how many are intimately familiar with the brand spanking new 3.5 features?
Kllrnohj is being a bit pedantic, but he's right; and, the C# example is actually spot-on based on what I'm going through trying to hire people at work right now...
Ok, but that doesn't change the fact that we can benefit from his experience, and I for one think we should.
DShiznit wrote:
Ok, but that doesn't change the fact that we can benefit from his experience, and I for one think we should.

Why do I even bother? Rolling Eyes

You can benefit from his KNOWLEDGE. Experience is borderline worthless in software development.
Knowledge is gained from experiencing things, whether it be learning from a textbook, or practicing hands-on. Rolling Eyes
DShiznit wrote:
Knowledge is gained from experiencing things, whether it be learning from a textbook, or practicing hands-on. Rolling Eyes

You don't "experience" a text book. Rolling Eyes

Knowledge is gained in many ways, one of which *can* be experience, yes, but in this industry (software development) it most often comes from reading and messing around with new tech - neither of which count as experience.
Quote:
ex⋅pe⋅ri⋅ence
   /ɪkˈspɪəriəns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ik-speer-ee-uhns] Show IPA Pronunciation
noun, verb, -enced, -enc⋅ing.
–noun

1. a particular instance of personally encountering or undergoing something: My encounter with the bear in the woods was a frightening experience.

Good Idea well since i gave 212GB to spare il beta test Laughing
SuperSonicWarBear wrote:
Good Idea well since i gave 212GB to spare il beta test 0x5

In English, please.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours