some18kanal0n3 wrote:
I don't think the people with 1gig of RAM running at 1Ghz are going to care too much about TBG, let alone surfing the internet extensively these days

Haha, I don't know, building stuff with legos has "netbook user" written all over it. But I still think you should upgrade to the better engine. It's worth it for the staility, imho.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
we thought we'd ask for the community's input since you're the ones who will be playing the game.
Honestly, everyone here, just about, as a computer that was purchased in the last two years, give or take a few months. I don't think the people with 1gig of RAM running at 1Ghz are going to care too much about TBG, let alone surfing the internet extensively these days. Honestly. They probably don't have the need to speed up their system.

Any gamer will, eventually, upgrade their system. It's not like you've got people playing Roller Coaster Tycoon anymore. Prices are cheap enough to upgrade. I say get the newer engine, and those with "older" systems will catch up soon enough.

How old of a computer are you planning to support? 95? 98? 2000? Those with non-intel dual-core duo processors?

My primary computer, until 2 months ago, was a 700MHz P3, with half a gig of RAM, running XP. It got 25fps playing blockland. My desktop computer still is a 1GHz P3 with 256MB of RAM and on-board Intel graphics. Again, perfectly capable of playing of Blockland. It's not a game which is targeted at hardcore gamers. I still run into a LOT of families running Windows 2000 with kids who are exactly Blockland-playing-age, and at least for one of those families, the 2000 computer that they use was a recent upgrade.
elfprince13 wrote:
My primary computer, until 2 months ago, was a 700MHz P3, with half a gig of RAM, running XP. It got 25fps playing blockland. My desktop computer still is a 1GHz P3 with 256MB of RAM and on-board Intel graphics. Again, perfectly capable of playing of Blockland. It's not a game which is targeted at hardcore gamers. I still run into a LOT of families running Windows 2000 with kids who are exactly Blockland-playing-age, and at least for one of those families, the 2000 computer that they use was a recent upgrade.
Wow. Okay. I suppose different people will find other people using different OS's. Rolling Eyes
Hey there's nothing wrong with Windows 2000. Windows security is a joke no matter which port you're running, and 2000 is a lot simpler and more stable in my experience than the newer ones.
I am quite impressed (and satisfied) that this conversation has progressed as much as it has.

Personally I think the engine stability will be very helpful, but I am also leaning on the side of Luquado about switching to it right now. IMHO I also think switching to the new engine will motivate the developers because its like a new toy to play with. I mean, this isn't a job. We're developing this as a hobby and cause we (the players too) want to enjoy the end result! Therefore the developers are already motivated by their own willingness to contribute to the project because of the end result and using a new engine, that is not too different from the one we're all already familiar with, will be much more beneficial.
I would say change it now while everyone is informed and so you guys can make full use of its potential in the developemnt phase rather than introduce it later when the game is closer to completion.
My 2 cents. Evil or Very Mad
What exactly are the minimum requirements for TGEA, that way we can have a better understanding of which computers will be supported and which won't.
Windows-based Computers
Minimum Requirements:
Windows XP or Vista
Intel or AMD Processor @ 1 Ghz
256 MB RAM (1GM recommended for Vista)
100% DirectX compatible video card with 128 MB video RAM required
DirectX

Recommended Requirements:
Windows XP or Vista with latest service packs installed
Dual-Core Intel or AMD processor @ 2.0 GHZ or better
2 GB RAM
100% DirectX compatible ATI or nVidia based video card with 256 or more VRAM
DirectX

Apple-based Computers
Minimum Requirements:
OSX 10.5.6
Intel-based Macs only
2 GB RAM
ATI or nVidia shader model 2.0+ video cards with 256 MB video RAM required
XCode version 3.1.2 or better
None of my computers meet those requirements, so if you switch, you'll be condemning me to playing retail or waiting for Project A.
You don't have a computer capable of 1GHz of processing? =o

And you have less then 256MB of RAM?!

That computer was built in, what the, 80's then right? Somewhere... around there?
Ok my question is about the video card, if you have a comp with an embedded card how could it have 128mb of ram... but they don't seem bad, at least every thing but the video card should fit any comp newer than 2002.
I say go for it as long as the video card part can be offset by more computer ram or something like that.
You know what's sad? I dug up a not-so-old 1.6 GHz pentium 4 with 512MB RAM, and installed Ubuntu 8.10 on it, and it was hardly any faster than a pentium 2 with Xubuntu 7.04! Both of them were practiaclly crawling, however, compared to a plain old pentium with windows 98!

I mean, ok, sure, ubuntu is bloated, but not being able to outperform windows 98? That sure says something about the way we code today. Oh well, I guess that's the difference between calculators and computers: On computers, no one thinks it's a big deal to save a few dozen bytes or a few hundred processor cycles.

But still, yeah, that is kinda sad. If you live in the continental united states, I'm sure you can find a machine that meets those requirements for less than $100. I know that my local microcenter has a computer with twice those specs for $99, but I think you could get cheaper than that if you went to thrift stores and rummage sales.
TheStorm wrote:
Ok my question is about the video card, if you have a comp with an embedded card how could it have 128mb of ram... but they don't seem bad, at least every thing but the video card should fit any comp newer than 2002.
I say go for it as long as the video card part can be offset by more computer ram or something like that.

it can't.

Quote:

I mean, ok, sure, ubuntu is bloated, but not being able to outperform windows 98? That sure says something about the way we code today. Oh well, I guess that's the difference between calculators and computers: On computers, no one thinks it's a big deal to save a few dozen bytes or a few hundred processor cycles.

98 would be blazingly fast on a new machine Wink
jbr wrote:
You know what's sad? I dug up a not-so-old 1.6 GHz pentium 4 with 512MB RAM, and installed Ubuntu 8.10 on it, and it was hardly any faster than a pentium 2 with Xubuntu 7.04! Both of them were practiaclly crawling, however, compared to a plain old pentium with windows 98!

And windows 98 sucks ass, is full of security holes, would be raped by the internet, and generally wouldn't be able to do anything since nothing supports the old 9x kernel. Never mind that it still sat on top of DOS and was a hybrid 16-bit/32-bit system.

Quote:

Who said Ubuntu is bloated? It most certainly is not. It still fits on a 700MB CD including well over 300MB of extra apps (like firefox, openoffice, etc...). Also, Ubuntu defaults to higher quality modes, such as enabling compiz if it is available, and all sorts of other cool things that are well worth the CPU cycles and RAM space that Win 98 doesn't have. Besides, Ubuntu can boot in 5 seconds on an EeePC - lets see windows 98 do that.

There are plenty of stripped down distros is that is what you want. Look at DSL (D*mn small linux). Its 50mb and boots in like 7 seconds once installed.

Regardless, what you are actually comparing is the relative performance of applications, and not the OS itself. Either that, or you were missing drivers and were using the default VESA driver for Ubuntu or something along those lines.

Quote:

Onboard cards reserve a chunk of system RAM for their VRAM. It will still work

Quote:

What you want is impossible.

Quote:
98 would be blazingly fast on a new machine

No, it really wouldn't. You would never be able to find drivers to support modern machines, meaning everything would be using base drivers (like the VGA driver). That would be crazy slow.
I was mistaken, two of my PCs do meet the minimum requirements, but none meet the recommended ones. So I'm gonna be running real slow if we switch to TGEA.
All my computers have specs above the minimum requirements (except for my server towers, of course) and I have one computer (my main tower) that is above the recommended specs. w00h00 Razz

But yeah, I'm still waiting on the green-light for which one to get. Personally I have mixed opinions about both of them, and I also want to leave it up to the main developers.
I think at this point I'm definitely leaning towards 1.5.
Yeah, and anyway, if Luqado says you should or shouldn't do something, you should listen. He's been around longer than any of us([insert age joke here]) and it would be logical to assume he knows his shit better than we do.
DShiznit wrote:
Yeah, and anyway, if Luqado says you should or shouldn't do something, you should listen. He's been around longer than any of us([insert age joke here]) and it would be logical to assume he knows his <font color=red>censored</font> better than we do.

No, it would not be logical to assume that.
It's not logical to assume that someone much older and more experienced than you would know their own shit better than you would?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours