technically this is cheating since I used WINE, but I'm working on a native build too.

Hawt. And that's not cheating. If it runs, it runs. I heard somewhere that linux google apps were just packaged on top of wine. No verification on that, though.
I'd still prefer a real native build.
foamy3 wrote:
Hawt. And that's not cheating. If it runs, it runs. I heard somewhere that linux google apps were just packaged on top of wine. No verification on that, though.
I've heard that as well, but I'd imagine they're also working on a native build.

@Elfprince: very nicely done, although I also would like a native build for stability and speed purposes. Smile
Mind sharing your secrets? The only thing I can get to run is retail (under WINE, that is).
Any chances of a linux preview release I'd really like to be able to play BL on my laptop which ain't running Windows any time soon.
KermMartian wrote:
although I also would like a native build for stability and speed purposes. Smile

Stability, sure, but the windows version of Firefox in WINE runs faster than the native linux build. Rolling Eyes
I would say that that is more a reflection on the low quality of the Linux development for Firefox than the high quality of Wine Wink Not that it isn't awesome. Vista 64 won't run Starcraft, so I use Wine for that.
foamy3 wrote:
Stability, sure, but the windows version of Firefox in WINE runs faster than the native linux build. Rolling Eyes

In this case WINE will significantly slow things down, since it is adding wrappers on top of performance critical calls (all the OpenGL calls are wrapped, and the DirectX ones emulated - either way it hurts). Firefox on WINE is different since most of Firefox's code is run natively even in WINE (as in minimal OS calls that need to be wrapped)

Regardless, Firefox being faster in WINE would be a fluke, not the norm (and I'm guessing it has more to do with build flags and preprocessor branches than anything else)
elfprince13 wrote:
Vista 64 won't run Starcraft, so I use Wine for that.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout? I ran a short gameplay demonstration on a Vista 64 system, and several times outside the demonstration situation. If it doesn't run, I blame you or your hardware, not Vista.
I can get blockland to run, but not TBM. I haven't messed with my wine configuration at all.
Will_W wrote:
I can get blockland to run, but not TBM. I haven't messed with my wine configuration at all.

...and?
Wondering how elf got it running.
crazy voodoo.

Honestly, I just typed wine freebuild.exe
Yea, I suspect that the things the RTB and TBM guys did messed up it's compatability with WINE. As well, I am almost certain that the new engine fixed that. I got my mod, TNG, working under WINE, and I have no idea what I did to get that working.
I figured it out: I don't have freebuild, I have blockland.
Well, that's your first problem.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours