calcy and I have set up an SVN repository, which has remotivated us to do some programming. We are approaching something that could be called release worthy (at least a playable--not moddable--demo, the code isn't yet to the state we want it in, but the user experience is). He's cleaned up a lot of stuff, including fixing at least one of the bugs that was causing CemetechAI to crash. The 1.5 version of the engine is still missing some features that the 1.4 alpha version did, so the first release may be windows only and missing some features + lag fixes.

Things being actively discussed + coming down the pipe:

• I now know exactly the solution I will implement to fix the performance issues with scope + ghosting
  • I now know exactly how I will implement the auto-updater, content packs and mods
  • smooth scaling and moving of bricks
  • LDraw support, which improves the size of our brick collection and paves the way for the following:

• "baked" vehicles
    • the removal of approximately 60MB of uncompressed data, significantly more than that on the download
    • much more customizable minifigs
    • interoperability with Lego CAD programs and POV-Ray
    • dynamic colors
    • real studs (although there is an LDraw primitive that replaces the bumpy studs with a flat circle....this could be a server setting)

the drawback of switching to LDraw is we lose backwards compatibility with TBM/Blockland builds, but it wouldn't be too hard to make a script to convert .save's into ldr or mpd format.
I think the advantages well outweigh the downsides of LDraw format, particularly the ability to render sweet PovRay images and use all the nifty parts available. Does that mean I can delete the TBG directory on Cemetech? Oh, and sidenote, may I get access to the repository so I can grab a copy and play it with you guys? Smile
KermMartian wrote:
I think the advantages well outweigh the downsides of LDraw format, particularly the ability to render sweet PovRay images and use all the nifty parts available. Does that mean I can delete the TBG directory on Cemetech? Oh, and sidenote, may I get access to the repository so I can grab a copy and play it with you guys? Smile

hang on to the TBG directory on Cemetech....I think. We may use it to host the website still. I've PMed you information so we can set you up wtih repo access.
hmm, evidently the new lighting system in 1.5 requires some changes to the brightness off our maps....the upside is that we now have fun things like shadows. also, don't mind the aliasing, I didn't have the AA settings in the graphics options dialog yet. anyway, here's me in Cemetech towers before any attempt at implementing the performance fix.

Couldn't the ldraw system just recreate the existing bricks when loading a TBM save? What kind of performance increase can we expect, 10, 20k? Will it apply to more than bricks, or is it part of some bullshit brick class like Retail? And finally, did you ever get anywhere with those physics? Oh, and can you add a method for hiding the player without hiding mounted objects(this would really help me with R2-D2)?
Hi, Cemetech Towers! Very Happy I suppose they make a good stress-test build? And I'm impressed you can pull 18.6fps with them hanging about.
DShiznit wrote:
Couldn't the ldraw system just recreate the existing bricks when loading a TBM save?

if I do a smart enough job of adding LDraw, we won't need datablocks for EVERY SINGLE brick. this is critical, since datablocking the LDraw library wouldn't leave us room for *anything* else. I'm sure you'll be able to do that, but it'll have to be a conversion that takes the name of the old TBM datablock and maps it to the corresponding LDraw brick, and possibly adjust the scale.

DShiznit wrote:
What kind of performance increase can we expect, 10, 20k? Will it apply to more than bricks, or is it part of some bullshit brick class like Retail?

This will be a system wide change to the client-server connection and the way scoping+ghosting are handled. Honestly, I have no idea what the performance increase will be. I expect it to be fairly high, but we don't really know what the next bottleneck will be. I'm also not sure how the modification will effect RAM usage, but again, under most conditions I'm hoping it won't be too much of an increase, hopefully only a few MB at most.

DShiznit wrote:
And finally, did you ever get anywhere with those physics?

I haven't even started playing with that yet. Other things are taking higher priority.

DShiznit wrote:
Oh, and can you add a method for hiding the player without hiding mounted objects(this would really help me with R2-D2)?

I'm pretty sure mounted objects are treated as part of the player mesh, but I don't know. Why mount R2-D2 though instead of just adding a new player datablock that uses R2 as the player model?

KermMartian wrote:
Hi, Cemetech Towers! Very Happy I suppose they make a good stress-test build? And I'm impressed you can pull 18.6fps with them hanging about.

I like my MacBook Pro Wink and yeah, they are a pretty good stress test. Though my fps does go down if I'm looking straight at both of them.
Quote:
Why mount R2-D2 though instead of just adding a new player datablock that uses R2 as the player model?

Because I don't know how to put in additional player models and swap them in-game. That would be an ideal sollution however... I could even make the head spin, and have the little arms pop out with the armready animation...

And wtf is up with all our nerdy locations!?
DShiznit wrote:
Because I don't know how to put in additional player models and swap them in-game. That would be an ideal sollution however... I could even make the head spin, and have the little arms pop out with the armready animation...

I would suggest checking out the player.cs in ~/data/shapes/player, the one in ~/server/scripts, and whatever the function for spawning a player is.

you could also make repulsors pop-out for the flying/jumping animation and pop-in for the landing

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours