It's been over half a year since the last challenge we should have a new challenge.Any ideas on what challenge?
I think it would be interesting to have a programming contest but because of the language diversity on the forum I don't suppose many would enter in a ... say ... PHP - based competition? 0x5

On a more serious note, a graphics contest would be interesting. I think we should actually come up with an idea that is original though, it seems like all competitions (no matter what forum you go to) are all the same... I personally have no ideas, but eh, someone else might? Razz
You should do a calculator programming contest, of course.
allynfolksjr wrote:
You should do a calculator programming contest, of course.
Indeed, I think that's a given.

Were there any close seconds for categories from the last time we picked topics for a contest?
Yes, it definitely needs to be a calculator programming contest. I don't know, though, about the specifics...
What about a useful calculator program contest? Judging would still be on the best quality program, not necessarily the *most* useful (though that would still be awarded points, obviously). The criteria for an entry would just have to be that it's a program that people want to keep on their calculator. Just no games.

Oh, and submitting a quadratic solver gets you permanently banned from Cemetech.
foamy3 wrote:

Oh, and submitting a quadratic solver gets you permanently banned from Cemetech.

Hey I spent 6 months on and off writing this.
Well I personally have been in the mood for a good contest for a while Razz

Calculator or not! Smile

(noahbaby94: I was actually going to write a program similar to that. I always write solvers and math programs during school when I bored Razz )
If we do a useful program contest would thinks like symbolic or Omnicalc be allowed? Most of the useful programs on my calc are one made to expand the CAS functions of Symbolic using well symbolic. and yes one of them is a quadratic solver. Razz but since when does a quadratic solver output the answer in exact form ie. (1+sqrt(5))/10.
I think that libs should be allowed, because I can't imagine a *useful* program written in pure Basic.
But I think that the usefulness of the program should be the main criteria, as quality can always be improved afterward...
If there were a contest about utilities and not games, I would enter it.
ZagorNBK wrote:
I think that libs should be allowed, because I can't imagine a *useful* program written in pure Basic.
But I think that the usefulness of the program should be the main criteria, as quality can always be improved afterward...

Are you kidding me? Libs, in most cases, only deal with speed. With anything other than gaming, speed loss isn't nearly as big of a deal.
Are YOU kidding me? You can't check for the existence of variables in BASIC, manipulate programs, and so on without assembly helper programs...they're extremely important for utility programs. Unless you like editing the BASIC shell you downloaded with program names so it knows how to execute them.
brandonw wrote:
Are YOU kidding me? You can't check for the existence of variables in BASIC, manipulate programs, and so on without assembly helper programs...they're extremely important for utility programs. Unless you like editing the BASIC shell you downloaded with program names so it knows how to execute them.

I agree totaly. Over %50 of the useful programs on my calc use asm libs in some way, Symbolic mainly but also omnicalc and Prettypt.
Hell I even have a beefed up Symbolic Quadratic solver. This is the only case where I think asm libs must be allowes.
I agree, libs should be allowed.
allynfolksjr wrote:
I agree, libs should be allowed.
Since Nikky agrees, I disagree: either pure BASIC or pure ASM. I like the idea of an open contest that's graded primarily on the criteria of 'usefulness' rather than being pigeonholed into categories and graded primarily on programming skill. That's not to say that speed, graphics, and size wouldn't still be important, of course.
And you say I shouldn't feed the troll. What about a hybrid compitition in it's own section that uses both asm utilities and basic.
What if hybrid was allowed and judged with pure ASM?
I agree with that, if you all are still pushing for the use of libs...

If we were going to allow basic libs and judge with pure ASM that seems fine imho.
I think there should be 3 categories:
-one in pure Basic
-one in pure asm
-one in "advanced" Basic where libs can be used

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours