Hey guys, i'm looking to buy the cheapest gaming desktop computer i can.
these are some features i was hoping for:
- 4GBs RAM
- 2.7 Ghz processor
- 64 bit processor
- around $400. $480 max.
- 500GB hard drive
- good graphics card. one that could run crysis.

remember, i want to find the best desktop that's suited specifically for gaming. something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103236

all suggestions are welcome.
niemo wrote:
- around $400. $480 max.
- good graphics card. one that could run crysis.

That isn't happening. Cards that can run Crysis start at about $150 (Radeon 5770), but cards that can run Crysis maxed out at good resolution (1920x1080 or higher) cost $300-400 (Radeon 5850 or 5870, or GeForce GTX 470)

Quote:

That isn't a gaming rig at all. It would throw up trying to play Portal.

Simply put, though, your budget is too low. Are you open to building the computer yourself?
a good graphics card isn't necessary, i found a cheap one that looks good.

Quote:
That isn't a gaming rig at all. It would throw up trying to play Portal.

the desktop i linked to might not be a gaming rig, i just gave it as an example to what i'm looking for.

EDIT: i forgot to add, i would not be open to building it myself.
[Ninja'd by Kllrnohj, then niemo again]
niemo wrote:

Maybe.. or maybe you don't know what you're doing and are actually looking at an overpriced piece of crap card. Details/link and let us verify your assessment.

niemo wrote:
remember, i want to find the best desktop that's suited specifically for gaming. something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103236

all suggestions are welcome.

Never mind that that will perform terribly in any game you throw at it (think just barely capable of Crysis at minimum settings). Blame the integrated graphics for that one, anyway.

You probably won't get much (graphics-wise, anyway) out of an OEM system- you're much better off building one yourself. It requires a little bit of knowing-what-you're-doing, but definitely worth the little extra effort.

It comes down to this: that budget will get you a decent system with crap graphics. If you were to build one yourself and add another $50-$100 to your budget, that would get you something capable of properly running newer games.

Anyway, the closest to your stated specs (ignoring graphics) I could find by a brand I trust on newegg is $429.99 plus $19.99 shipping:
Lenovo IdeaCentre H215
I spent a bit of time browsing components, and you could get a system a little bit better than that in terms of everything that's not graphics for around $380 with ~$20 shipping. In either case, adding reasonably competent graphics would add another $80-$100 (where reasonably competent means capable of running newer games at low-medium detail).
I'm with Kllrnohj and Tari on this one. A reasonable price on a good configuration is going to take some building on your own. What is your objection to some DIY, niemo, lack of experience and knowledge, or traction from the people providing the funds?
You can play Starcraft or Warcraft II on the rig he linked to...
allynfolksjr wrote:
Sure, but neither of those really qualifies as a "modern" game a la Crysis. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Sure, but neither of those really qualifies as a "modern" game a la Crysis. Razz
The former is still much better than several recent games, though Razz

Games aren't all about graphics after all Wink
Oh, no argument there; I still think a game from 2004 is one of the best games around six or more years later (Unreal Tournament 2004, of course). Nevertheless, I don't think that's what niemo had in mind. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Oh, no argument there; I still think a game from 2004 is one of the best games around six or more years later (Unreal Tournament 2004, of course). Nevertheless, I don't think that's what niemo had in mind. Smile

UT2004 was merely good when it came out, and age hasn't been kind to it.

niemo wrote:

No you didn't, because you have no clue what to look for in a graphics card. Hell, you don't even know what to look for in a CPU, as indicated by your 2.7ghz requirement.

The Tari wrote:
You probably won't get much (graphics-wise, anyway) out of an OEM system- you're much better off building one yourself. It requires a little bit of knowing-what-you're-doing, but definitely worth the little extra effort.

Agreed, or he can bump his budget up a little bit, buy an OEM system, and toss in a new video card.

Quote:
Anyway, the closest to your stated specs (ignoring graphics) I could find by a brand I trust on newegg is $429.99 plus $19.99 shipping:
Lenovo IdeaCentre H215

While it meets his requirements more or less, his requirements were stupid. The CPU in that is a POS. The Athlon II are budget Phenom IIs, and the Phenom II can barely compete clock for clock against the Core 2.

Quote:
In either case, adding reasonably competent graphics would add another $80-$100 (where reasonably competent means capable of running newer games at low-medium detail).

Actually, if you hunt around you can find used 4870s and GTX 260s at the ~$100 mark, or if used isn't an option, the 5750 (think 4850 speeds). If he games on a 22" or so (1680x1050), that can still do most games on all high settings, possibly even with AA. Or there are older cards like the 9800GT or even 9600GT, which are still quite reasonable.

What none of them will do is Crysis well. The 4850 I had struggled on all high at 1680x1050, forget about very high.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours