DJ Omnimaga wrote:
The only thing I dislike about Opera is when you use CTRL+F search and start your query with a space (for example, if you want to search for the word " hello " instead of "*hello ", it crashes Opera.
Really? That sounds like a pretty big and pretty fixable bug. :S
KermMartian wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
The only thing I dislike about Opera is when you use CTRL+F search and start your query with a space (for example, if you want to search for the word " hello " instead of "*hello ", it crashes Opera.
Really? That sounds like a pretty big and pretty fixable bug. :S
Indeed, which is why many people reported it in the 10.50 betas and it has been long fixed to my knowledge (it's certainly not in 10.60 3433).
benryves wrote:
One of the things I particularly like about Opera is just how customisable it is. What settings are you referring to?

Customizable compared to what? Hell, even IE 8 has it soundly beat in that category.

Things I hate:
Changing download behavior is done per mime-type with no way to change the default behavior
Tabs show up as separate windows in Windows 7's taskbar
Waaaaaay too aggressive at caching (seriously, when closing the browser, restarting the computer, and then opening the page results in you getting a cached version, that is just wrong)

+a whole bunch of other stuff I don't remember anymore.
this topic is getting out of hand haha...

-.-
Kllrnohj wrote:
Changing download behavior is done per mime-type with no way to change the default behavior
How should it be done, given that the file types are defined by their MIME type? Extensions are virtually meaningless on the web.
Quote:
opera:config#Use%20Windows%207%20Taskbar%20Thumbnails
Quote:
Waaaaaay too aggressive at caching (seriously, when closing the browser, restarting the computer, and then opening the page results in you getting a cached version, that is just wrong)
That I agree with, though I've found it less of a problem in later versions. Easily configurable with Setting->Preferences->Advanced->History, though.
benryves wrote:
Quote:
Just to stir the controversy a bit, that is certainly an easily-found way to change it. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
Quote:
Just to stir the controversy a bit, that is certainly an easily-found way to change it. Very Happy
It's a direct link, but you could type "windows 7" or "thumbnail" or "taskbar" into the search box at the top of opera:config (no different to about:config in Firefox, really). There may be a checkbox for it somewhere in the settings UI but I don't use Windows 7.
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
Quote:

You have no idea how hard I just lol-ed.
Glad that we were able to provide you some amusement. Very Happy In all seriousness, though, I guess that's just about:config and scrolling downwards.
benryves wrote:
How should it be done, given that the file types are defined by their MIME type? Extensions are virtually meaningless on the web.

No, you misunderstood. I want to set a *GLOBAL* default. As in, do this unless I tell you differently. Instead, I would have to change the settings for 30 or so preconfigured mime-types. Screw that.

Quote:

Silly me, how could I possibly have missed that? Razz

Even IE8 gives you the option to change that in its option menu.

Quote:
That I agree with, though I've found it less of a problem in later versions. Easily configurable with Setting->Preferences->Advanced->History, though.

I shouldn't have to tell the browser how to do proper caching, nor should I have to dive into opera:config to change basic settings. Hence my problem with Opera, the default settings *SUCK* and the options menu *SUCKS*. Since it doesn't do anything particularly better than any other browser, I'm not going to put up with its shenanigans.

Also, IE9 just raped Chrome in speed:

Note to Kerm: enable fullscreen on embedded youtube videos already, yeesh. This tiny little window with no fullscreen just sucks.
Reading the associated article yields some interesting information as well.
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/06/23/internet-explorer-9-vs-chrome-6-developer-video-speed-benchmark/

Nice find. Although, my only retort would be this:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/17/2010/01/500x_nine_tab_load.jpg

Developer and Preview versions of Chrome have always been substantially slower then the released versions. I'm interested to see the benchmarks of the released versions of these browsers Smile
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/06/firefox-update-brings-protection-from-flash-crashes.ars

Now having 500 youtube vids open won't crash FF Very Happy
Kllrnohj wrote:
Also, IE9 just raped Chrome in speed:

Note to Kerm: enable fullscreen on embedded youtube videos already, yeesh. This tiny little window with no fullscreen just sucks.

Hardware acceleration?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Yeah, that popped up the moment my FF session crashed due to shoddy Flash coding yesterday. Smile
Quite similar to Chrome's plugin crash isolation Smile

Also, check this out: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/06/25/firefox-friday-five-3-6-4-tabs-on-top-your-own-out-of-process/
Fascinating read there, Swivelgames. I can't say I'm a big fan of that tabs-on-top idea, but I'm glad Firefox is making progress into process isolation of plugins, and I think that makes a lot more sense actually than splitting processes on a tab basis.
elfprince13 wrote:
Hardware acceleration?

Are you asking if IE9 has it, or what it is?

To answer the former, IE9 has hardware acceleration. Supposedly so does Chrome 6 dev.

As for what it is, it uses the GPU to speed up drawing - you know, what the GPU is supposed to be used for.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 5 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours