hey guys, in light of the bank statement I just got in the mail (guess I was eating a little too frequently at the mexican bakery in Costa Mesa), and the $1500 I owe my parents for the laptop I just ordered (I'm about $450 short of that), it looks like I'm gonna have to take the week off from TBG and make some money working for the tech ed teacher at the school, and doing computer-repair house calls. if anyone feels like chipping in a donation to help TBG development stay on track, that would be lovely. every $15 is an hour I can spend working on TBG and instead of fixing old ladies computers, mucking about with Python based GCode editors, and/or writing documentation for over-priced CAD software.

[edit]
also, feel free to specify that your donation should go to my TGE license fund rather than my pay-for-the-new-laptop fund. remember that 10 x $15 == a license.
Python G-Code editor, what, where, can I has. Razz
But seriously that sucks I wish I had some cash to spare but I don't atm.
And yeah, I know how you feel, I've been writing up lesson plans for some overpriced CAM software (MasterCAM X3) for my tech ed teacher, but in my case it's a class I will get credit for so I don't even get paid for all of my work.
you guys are lucky. I have to TEACH my tech ed teacher how to use cad...
DShiznit wrote:
Then your technology teacher isn't terribly qualified to teach Computer-Aided Design. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Then your technology teacher isn't terribly qualified to teach Computer-Aided Design. Razz

my teacher goes to seminars and asks the *writers* of the software questions that they can't answer, so he has me figure it out.

Quote:
Python G-Code editor, what, where, can I has.

I'm still working out a licensing scheme Razz the local high school gets free upgrades and an unlimited site-license because they pay for the development.

Quote:
overpriced CAM software

SURFCAM: $15,000 software that you can't use if you lose the USB dongle.

Quote:
but in my case it's a class I will get credit for so I don't even get paid for all of my work.

the joys of being a high school graduate Very Happy
elfprince13 wrote:

Quote:
Python G-Code editor, what, where, can I has.

I'm still working out a licensing scheme Razz the local high school gets free upgrades and an unlimited site-license because they pay for the development.

Ok keep me posted I might be interested in purchasing a copy from you, and my teacher might be too.

elfprince13 wrote:
Quote:
overpriced CAM software

SURFCAM: $15,000 software that you can't use if you lose the USB dongle.

Same goes for MasterCAM, which I personally prefer over SURFCAM, though I've only used SURFCAM once or twice so I really can't say much.

elfprince13 wrote:
Quote:
but in my case it's a class I will get credit for so I don't even get paid for all of my work.

the joys of being a high school graduate Very Happy
Only one more year for me thankfully.
TheStorm wrote:
Ok keep me posted I might be interested in purchasing a copy from you, and my teacher might be too.

definitely, talk to me on AIM or something.

TheStorm wrote:
Same goes for MasterCAM, which I personally prefer over SURFCAM, though I've only used SURFCAM once or twice so I really can't say much.

its NOT worth $15,000. crappy interface, and buggy as all get out
For all its thousands of dollars, I find AutoCAD to be a very well-made suite.
KermMartian wrote:
For all its thousands of dollars, I find AutoCAD to be a very well-made suite.

CADKey/KeyCreator is great for CAD, but their support is terrible.

also, did I mention that AutoCAD's plugin API is horrendous?
elfprince13 wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

its NOT worth $15,000. crappy interface, and buggy as all get out

Yeah MasterCAM has none of those issues, the only thing I dislike about it is that it makes it hare to modify what you have already drawn to the point where to make a change it is often just easier to redraw the entire thing or draw it in AutoCAD or SolidWorks and then import it in.
so, last official news for a week.
I compiled our first mac binaries with TGE 1.5, but it needs some work to catch us up to the level of the TGE 1.4 engine currently used. the windows binaries with TGE1.5 are next, but I haven't installed VS Express on my vista partition yet, and I don't have any blank CDs so I haven't installed Ubuntu yet.
you use VISTA? All the usable windows ports out there, and you use Vista?
DShiznit wrote:

Of course he is. If he is going to use Windows, why not use the version that is by far the best version of Windows to date?
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Of course he is. If he is going to use Windows, why not use the version that is by far the best version of Windows to date?
While I won't go that far yet, I'm beginning to think it isn't as horrible as I've been claiming.
Yeah, once I figured out how to use it effectively, Vista isn't as bad as it first appeared. I still only use it for gaming and printing, but I don't cry when I'm forced to use someone else's laptop anymore.

Although my girlfriend now prefers Ubuntu over Windows, so that makes things better. She ONLY uses windows for iTunes and wireless internet now. Smile
Mac FTW.

Windows Seven is still basically going to be Vista, but it won't require a good chunk of the RAM and stuff. I've rarely used Vista, so I'm not one to slam it for anything =/
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Mac FTW.

Windows Seven is still basically going to be Vista, but it won't require a good chunk of the RAM and stuff. I've rarely used Vista, so I'm not one to slam it for anything =/
It's supposed to be the Vista frontend with a cleaner backend, basically.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Mac FTW.

Sure, if you hate money.

Quote:

Windows 7 will have a near identical backend as Vista. It will use the same amount of RAM (aka, all of it) due to SuperFetch. Windows will ALWAYS use all of your RAM, and this is a very, very GOOD thing. It is purely a cosmetic overall. Vista had the backend changes and they were some much needed improvements - especially in the security area. Vista is so much more secure than XP.

If anything Windows 7 will use more resources than Vista due to a more demanding UI - but honestly if your video card can't drive it then you need to upgrade to something made within the last 5 years :/

KermMartian wrote:
It's supposed to be the Vista frontend with a cleaner backend, basically.

Other way around Kerm. Its the Vista backend with a redesigned frontend. The backend isn't changing much (if at all) Wink
I've used Vista, and it might not be bad per say, but I just don't like the way it uses ram. It keeps it in constant use with it's Super Fuck, or whatever it's called, when it's not even using it, which sounds to me like a great way to wear out RAM. Also, every computer I've used that has it has run slow, slower than my shit XP computer (I have 384mb of RAM, with only enough room to expand to 512 on this 10-year old ASUS motherboard, so what's the point of upgrading my RAM?), runs applications with incredible instability(frequent crashing, particularly when I alt+tab) and from what I've read, still uses 400mb of RAM when other applications demand more. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have the 350+ extra megs I save with XP than a bunch of features I've never needed in my life and will probably never use. If I could I'd even downgrade to 2000, as I almost never had problems with it when I used it. As it is, I'm running XP in the classic mode, and have had little trouble and exceptional performance(I can run current-gen games on this piece of shit, with only an early GeForce 6 series video card).

EDIT- we should seriously get back on topic though, have you made any more progress/money since your last post Elf?
i got in 5 hours or so today of work time, by the end of the week I'm hoping to rack in around 30 hours, also I may get some money for tutoring. my parents get the bill for the laptop this weekend, I'll probably have the paycheck from the school on monday. assuming i make enough this week I'll be back to work this weekend.

Vista seems to be ok once its up and running, although the new start menu is flipping annoying. is there any way to add a run entry and remove some of the garbage? unfortunately Vista takes at least 6x as long to boot to a useable desktop as OS X does.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours