Should BL-Reserve be added as a replacement for Green Hills 2
yes! I LOVE GREEN AND DARK!!!
 0%  [ 0 ]
No! I hate BL-Reserve!
 25%  [ 1 ]
i don't really care
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

I've begun work of integrating the first portion of DynLoad into the main codebase. This has several advantages:
1) it means content creation doesn't require the editing of core files.
2) it helps eliminate datablock bloat
3) it sets the stage for the auto-updater

console.log wrote:
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload.cs.
Executing core/server/scripts/constants.cs.
Executing core/server/scripts/serverCmd.cs.
Executing core/server/scripts/audioProfiles.cs.

Loading audioprofiles (*.audp) from: core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/footfall_closest3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/footfall_close3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/jump_closest3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/weaponswitch_closest3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/waterfall_looping3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/ambient_looping3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/ambientsound.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/sprayactivate_closest3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/mcptele_closest3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/breakbrick_close3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/clickrotate_closest3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/clickplant_closest3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/clickmove_closest3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/takeme_looping3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/sprayloop_closestlooping3d.audp.
Executing core/server/scripts/dynload/audioprofiles/sprayhit_closest3d.audp.
loaded 15 audioprofiles

Executing core/server/scripts/camera.cs.

now I just have the tedious job of transitioning the rest of the data over to the new setup. This includes audio profiles, particles, explosions, projectiles, items, tools, weapons, and vehicles.

also, the .audp file extension isn't necessarily a permanent thing, for now it helps narrow down my searches for unconverted datablocks. once I'm done with the conversions, should every type of content get its own extension, or I should stick with using .cs for everything?

[edit]

finished converting the audio profiles. I think I eliminated about 30 duplicated datablocks that just had different names. moving on to particle data. Also, I'm thinking it would be best to remove Bedroom 2 and Greener Hills 2 from the TBG distribution to further distance ourselves from the regular blockland community and avoid any accusations of theft. Green Hills 2 is as nearly as I can tell the same terrain file (with slightly different textures) as the original Blockland Green Hills map. Plague's Bedroom 2 seem's to at least his own creation, but graphically its VERY similar (read: identical with a computer added). In both cases its not as though the map fills a critical hole in the lineup. This is especially true for Bedroom 2, for which we have the IKEA Bedroom, and if anyone REALLY wants a lush, dark, map to take the place of Green Hills 2, I'd be willing to pop in Bri-Guy's BL-Reserve.
but editing core files till something broke was what made blockland0002 so much fun... does this new system simply exec copies of the core files that you can modify? Or is it like Retail's gay closed-source add-on system?
Elfprince, I think you should indeed include BL-Reserve instead of Greener Hills, or *idea* what about a remixed night version of Rolling Hills, one of my favorite maps?
KermMartian wrote:
Elfprince, I think you should indeed include BL-Reserve instead of Greener Hills, or *idea* what about a remixed night version of Rolling Hills, one of my favorite maps?

HOT IDEA Very Happy I <3 Rolling Hills.

DShiznit wrote:
does this new system simply exec copies of the core files that you can modify? Or is it like Retail's gay closed-source add-on system?

I've yet to work out the details of the system, but it *won't* be closed source. it will simply be encouraged that you work through the torquescript package system to change core functionality without editing the core files. this will also allow people to chain their mods easily.
why not a zip system, like Q3's pk3s, where you just make a zip containing modded files and they overwrite existing ones. Then core files can be modded without actually being modded, and the mods can be removed and changed easily.
DShiznit wrote:
why not a zip system, like Q3's pk3s, where you just make a zip containing modded files and they overwrite existing ones. Then core files can be modded without actually being modded, and the mods can be removed and changed easily.
It's better if it was a diff-type system, so conflicting mods could be integrated without any hassle.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours