DTB is weapons / teams / capture-the-flag and a few other modes.
TheStorm wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
that's already included in DTB Wink
really I must have been playing an outdated version then... I don't remember having any of those features... well I guess I'll sush up then.

*cough*console*cough*
Calc and I talked a little bit a couple of days ago and started talking about some cool ideas. Modes was one that we were discussing and developing our ideas on. Heres a bit of what we came up with:

Modes include Sandbox/FreeBuild, Deathmatch, and BestBuild.

FreeBuild/Sandbox
    FreeBuild/Sandbox is obvious... build whenever and whatever. There are also weapons and such, but it can be switched on and off by admins and such. FreeBuild's score, yes score, is based on how many bricks are put down. This should be easy to do and if we have to we can just add something where it removes what ever points are added once someone kills and it adds points/takes them away whenever the user adds or removes a block.

Reason for scores in FreeBuild: When you open the scoreboard right now you see kills and it would be cool if you could see how many blocks each person has placed instead Razz

Next is Deathmatch:
    There will be rounds and the time in each round, and how many rounds there will be, will be determined by the admin or moderator who initiates the game mode.
    Deathmatch has intermissions when the round is over for building. So you can have building forts and such and then go at it when the round starts. That way it removes the "don't kill me plx, I'm build a fort!" complaint Razz

I had an idea for the score at first (to be different then just kills) but I quickly pushed it aside. Heres the idea: it could be based on kills and partially on how many bricks of other's you destroy. For instance, you destroy someones brick with a weapon and you get (say... uh...) 1 point for that... You kill someone and you get 3 points. The offset would probably have to be higher because its easier to kill a massive amount of bricks then a person for the same amount of points.

The next is BestBuild:
    There are a couple different ideas for BestBuild
    Options:
    1. You see who can build the most bricks in a given time limit. Admins/Mods can disqualify users for spamming, and users can petition to disqualify users if they think they're spamming (good when no one of authority is around).
    2. You build what you can in a given time limit and then each user votes (no voting for yourself, makes things less complicated). There's no need for disqualification here since winning is user dependant.
    Also, iGob _loading_ should be disabled when this is going on.
So those are the ideas Calc and I came up with a few days ago. Personally I think these would be built-in modes that can be accessed through a button in the admin window.

An idea for this also is to have a "Game Modes" button in the admin window which pops up a list where you can select available modes and initiate them.

Heres a screeny of an example:

That way theres a universal way to edit game mode settings and start the modes Smile
swivelgames wrote:

Heres a screeny of an example:

That way theres a universal way to edit game mode settings and start the modes Smile

you forgot to use teh sexy buttons. also, Capture the Flag/Capture the Crown. and Tag is on its way. there's also no reason these modes can't be changed during the course of the game (e.g. without restarting the server).

Swivel: the game mode should be stored in $Server::MissionType
elfprince13 wrote:
You forgot to use teh sexy buttons

Haha, I know, I just threw it together XD

elfprince13 wrote:
Capture the Flag/Capture the Crown. and Tag is on its way.

w00h00! Can't wait Smile

elfprince13 wrote:
there's also no reason these modes can't be changed during the course of the game (e.g. without restarting the server).

Exactly. The dialog would be good for swapping game modes quickly. This is one reason why I thought it would be good because each game mode could have its own setup dialog that opens when you highlight it on the menu and click "Setup..." as well as have its own initiation executed when you press the "Initiate Game" button.

This would make it easier then making each game mode have its own way of being found and then initiated XD

elfprince13 wrote:
Swivel: the game mode should be stored in $Server::MissionType

Awesome, good to know Razz
aight, the whole TBM server + client directories have been reuploaded. calc84, if you want to try and figure out the weirdness with the player design feel free. if that doesn't work, I have the old way of doing it saved in another file and we can switch back. Swivel, all the crashing GUIs (that I could find) have been fixed. also, a couple files have been added.

hopefully tonight I'll be folding TBM into the TBG core.
woot I'm glad to hear of all the progress I just wish I could help more.
If you need any models made, or edited, I can do that. I was top of my CAD class last year. Also, can you integrate TBM's interchangeable Gui skin system? It's a lot cooler than having to use the same old skin all the time.
DShiznit wrote:
If you need any models made, or edited, I can do that. I was top of my CAD class last year. Also, can you integrate TBM's interchangeable Gui skin system? It's a lot cooler than having to use the same old skin all the time.

we actually threw all the skins out because it was a lot of unnecessary data, but there's no reason it can't be added back in, we just won't be including skins in the default release. also, TBM skins will need a little porting to work with TBG because we use different GUI profiles and some newer controls.

CAD is definitely a little different than mesh modeling, but if you're interested, one thing that would be great is if you repair the TBM bricks that have an incorrect collision mesh.
like the slopes and cylinders.
DShiznit wrote:
like the slopes and cylinders.

lemme get the list for you, hold on.

Quote:
Error: shape tbm/data/shapes/bricks/arch1x3x2curve.dts-collision detail 1 (Collision-2) bounds box invalid!
Error: shape tbm/data/shapes/bricks/arch1x3x2curve.dts-collision detail 7 (Collision-2) bounds box invalid!
Warning: shape tbm/data/shapes/bricks/brick1x4x5window.dts collision detail 0 (Collision-1) bounds exceed that of shape.
Warning: shape tbm/data/shapes/bricks/rearwing.dts collision detail 0 (Collision-1) bounds exceed that of shape.
oh, ok no problem. I'm gonna redo the collisions on some of the cylinders anyway but I'll start with these two shapes
DShiznit wrote:
oh, ok no problem. I'm gonna redo the collisions on some of the cylinders anyway but I'll start with these two shapes

3 Wink
sorry for the double post, but some good news.
TBM2U1 has successfully been collapsed into the core release. In honor of this, I wrote a little map conversion tool, and typed up the following.

forartists.txt wrote:
FOR ARTISTS
===========

As many of you know, trying to port a terrain map from one
mod directory to another in Torque can be a bit of a hassle,
involving the world editor and texture painter, which take a
little bit more time than is necessary. Slightly exacerbating
this is the fact the The Building Game uses a slightly different
directory structure than is typical with most Torque games, in
order to improve organization. We ask that while your mission
files (*.mis) should still be placed under the
core/data/missions/ directory as is usual, your mission previews
should be placed in core/data/missions/previews and be in a 4:3
aspect ratio, no larger than 1024*768 and no smaller than 320*240.
We ask that all heightmapped terrains (*.ter) be placed in the same
directory as your terrain textures. This should be
core/data/terrains/YourName or core/data/terrains/YourName/YourMap.
If you choose to use terrain textures created by someone else, you
should make sure those textures are also redistributed, IN THEIR
ORIGINAL DIRECTORY, with your map (make sure you are allowed to do
this with the specific textures you are using), to ensure that all
users will be able to enjoy your creation.

To expediate the process of porting your map to TBG, we have a
created a script that will automatically change your heightmapped
terrain to use the correct path for its textures. To use this script
start up a server running your map. Next, press F11 to launch the
World Editor. Now press tilde (~) to open your console.
In the console type the following and press enter after both lines.
exec("core/editor/fixer.cs");
showTerrainPath();

you should see output which vaguely resembles the following:
core/data/terrains/Chris/tbm/data/terrains/Chris/grass42
core/data/terrains/Chris/tbm/data/terrains/Chris/grass5
core/data/terrains/Chris/tbm/data/terrains/Chris/rock_02

with more or fewer lines full depending on your map. the correct
directory for those textures is actually core/data/terrains/Chris.
This means we want to replace the first part of the path
"core/data/terrains/Chris/tbm" with "core." To do this, you would
type the following and press enter.
fixTerrainPath("core/data/terrains/Chris/tbm", "core");
Your screen may blink a couple of times or your mouse my lock up
for a second or two. Wait this out, you should see output that
resembles the following:
Fixing 8 materials
core/data/terrains/Chris/grass42
core/data/terrains/Chris/grass5
core/data/terrains/Chris/rock_02

Congratulations! your map has been patched. You can now press
tilde again to exit the console, and then F11 to exit the World
Editor GUI. Your terrain was automatically saved after the last
part of the script, so there is no need to the save the whole
mission using the File menu.

Progress:
Checklist for first demo release:
===========================
remove extraneous "skins" (easy) COMPLETE
rewrite any still-missing function (thanks Kier) COMPLETE
fix the inventory rotation... (medium) COMPLETE

ensure ALL gui's are usable + "pretty" (tedious but easy)
(e.g. everything lines up correctly, including the image on the loading GUI) partial

get IRC back in place (SAX replacement) partial
fold in iGob mod (easy) COMPLETE
fold in TBG (work!) COMPLETE
fold in DTB (easy?)
finish CemetechAI 4 (work!)
fold in CemetechAI 4 (easy)

clean+repair maps directory structure (tedious but easy) partial
fix poorly bounded bricks (DShiznit?) COMPLETE
remove all files which aren't used (easy)

design auto-updater (Python)

switch Mod_Image to "tbm/dtb" mode. (easy)
Wow, moving right along. I'm very imrpessed.
As am I!

Awesome news. I'm currently doing my work on the GUIs, though I'll be posting a list of the GUIs that are crashing my client. This may not be a problem for others because at the moment I'm running on a laptop with extremely low specs. Hopefully I'll get my desktop soon and be able to fix the ones that are crashing me =/
Swivel, be careful when you update off of ftp not to overwrite your current progress. however you should also check out the downloaded versions of the GUI's because I've fixed a couple that were crashing. I'm in the process of uploading the new version now.

[edit]

random weirdness, the skis (slidey foot things, not typo) in BL-Rolling Hills 2 cause the engine to exit without an error. possibly more getmodpaths anti-hacking?

[edit2]
being a half mile closer to our ISP's DSL repeater box does wonders for connection speed.

[edit3]
uploaded, those of you with FTP access should dedownload pretty much everything. if you have changes you might want to do this in a different directory and use diff to merge things.
elfprince13 wrote:
being a half mile closer to our ISP's DSL repeater box does wonders for connection speed.

I hate you Smile

I'm wondering, why are you using FTP, rather than a real version control system? Subversion would make things much easier for you.
The Tari wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

I hate you Smile

I'm wondering, why are you using FTP, rather than a real version control system? Subversion would make things much easier for you.
Because I've been too lazy to see if Cemetech's host supports SVN yet.
Kerm, it does, but it has to be part of your plan. meaning you can't do it on shared hosting unless you pay for a WebDev account.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours