Would it be possible to write return the Omnicalc custom menu as a string of each command separated by a space? If so, could someone write this for me?
Yeah, I think it should be pretty easy. I don't have the patience to examine the source to Omnicalc to figure out how it stores the tokens in the custom appvar, but once you get the tokens, there's a bcall to convert those to strings.
The Tari wrote:
Yeah, I think it should be pretty easy. I don't have the patience to examine the source to Omnicalc to figure out how it stores the tokens in the custom appvar, but once you get the tokens, there's a bcall to convert those to strings.
According to TI's bcall reference, that bcall would be Get_Tok_Strng. Point to a token using HL (one or two bytes) and it returns the token in OP3, with the string length in a and also in bc.
Yeah, looks like you guys beat me to it.

http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/custom.zip will return a space-separated string with the tokens in it. To do a literal string instead, change it to use GetTokStrng like above.

By the way, Omnicalc stores two bytes for each entry, as keycodes, so it's always 16 bytes big.
Yeah, I should have thought about this a little more carefully. Sorry for the inconvenience, but seeing as I don't write assembly, could someone rewrite this only without the spaces? Thanks.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Yeah, I should have thought about this a little more carefully. Sorry for the inconvenience, but seeing as I don't write assembly, could someone rewrite this only without the spaces? Thanks.
How are you going to figure out where one token ends and the next one begins then?
ZB, I'm not sure I know what you're asking for. Do you want the tokens as tokens, or converted to strings of letters and numbers? The latter is what everyone here assumes, but I can't find anywhere where you've actually said that's what you want.
Sorry about that. I should have been more specific. I would like a list of all the commands in the omnicalc custom menu, as tokens, without spaces. Is this possible?
Here's one without spaces. It's the one BrandonW posted, I just took out two lines and reassembled it.

http://www.mohawkondisplay.com/CUSTOM.8XP
magicdanw wrote:
Here's one without spaces. It's the one BrandonW posted, I just took out two lines and reassembled it.

http://www.mohawkondisplay.com/CUSTOM.8XP
I'm not sure that that's what he wants, though. It sounds like he's asking for a list of all the omnicalc tokens.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Would it be possible to write return the Omnicalc custom menu as a string of each command separated by a space? If so, could someone write this for me?

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sorry about that. I should have been more specific. I would like a list of all the commands in the omnicalc custom menu, as tokens, without spaces. Is this possible?

Here's a suggestion. The next time you ask for something, know what you want BEFORE you ask. Then, phrase it as CLEARLY AS POSSIBLE. So far all I can determine from what you said is that you fail, that is about it.
As harshly as Kllrnohj put it, he has a bit of a point: I have no real idea what exactly you're asking for. Can you please clarify?
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sorry about that. I should have been more specific.

Again, my apologies, for my unclear phrasing. I had thought about it beforehand and then only later did I come to a realization, one that would not have happened had I not posted this topic and seen the responses. Let me try this again:
I would like an assembly program that reads from the omnicalc appvar "custom" (which controls the custom menu, accessed through [var][var]), and returns a string of all 8 functions in that menu, in token form without spaces in betweeen them.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Here's a suggestion. The next time you ask for something, know what you want BEFORE you ask. Then, phrase it as CLEARLY AS POSSIBLE. So far all I can determine from what you said is that you fail, that is about it.
Are you a generally angry person? In your posts here on this forum, it seems to me you are almost always berating someone or something for no apparent reasons. I thought ZB was rather clear about what he wanted, and I'm not sure why everyone here seemed to think he wanted something different (the tokens converted to characters). As for the spaces, it's a perfectly reasonable request to have them removed, since it only involved commenting out two lines of code. It's not as if he decided he wanted something completely unlike what he asked for in the first place. And finally, "you fail?" What kind of remark is that? It's neither helpful nor (in my opinion) intelligent sounding at all!
magicdanw wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Are you a generally angry person? In your posts here on this forum, it seems to me you are almost always berating someone or something for no apparent reasons. I thought ZB was rather clear about what he wanted, and I'm not sure why everyone here seemed to think he wanted something different (the tokens converted to characters). As for the spaces, it's a perfectly reasonable request to have them removed, since it only involved commenting out two lines of code. It's not as if he decided he wanted something completely unlike what he asked for in the first place. And finally, "you fail?" What kind of remark is that? It's neither helpful nor (in my opinion) intelligent sounding at all!

Well, Dan, then you obviously don't pay attention. He ALWAYS has a reason. Kllrnhoj is a really smart guy who can almost always help you out. And if you show that you are worthy of his help, he will. If you obviously tried to solve your problem yourself (via google, etc), ask for what you need in an extremely clear manor, and don't act like an a while waiting for a response, Kllr can seem like a pretty nice guy. If you break any of those 3 rules (or maybe more), then he, with good reason, makes fun of you. Smile

Therefore, you fail.
I refrained from criticizing Kllr's remarks in the first place because I was at the crux of conflict but I think that I need to interject my opinion.
Quote:
Well, Dan, then you obviously don't pay attention. He ALWAYS has a reason. Kllrnhoj is a really smart guy who can almost always help you out. And if you show that you are worthy of his help, he will. If you obviously tried to solve your problem yourself (via google, etc), ask for what you need in an extremely clear manor, and don't act like an censored while waiting for a response, Kllr can seem like a pretty nice guy. If you break any of those 3 rules (or maybe more), then he, with good reason, makes fun of you. Smile

Therefore, you fail.

I think in all situations politeness overrides intelligence, and no matter how smart you are, you are still a ***hole if you are overly arrogant. Worthy of his help? Why do I need to be worthy of his help? Am I that low? Is he that egotistical? I think that answer to the latter question is yes. He can help even if it is a relatively simple problem from his view point, and he only fails even more miserably for berating someone in a completely unnecessary situation. And the fact of the matter is he didn't help me out, he came in only to clarify and be an ***hole, which didn't help me or really anyone at all. And foamy3, about your phrasing, I think you just proved my point. "Kllr can seem like a pretty nice guy," when in, point of fact, he isn't. A good facade is not adequate to hide someone like kllr, especially when it is loosely used. In my experience Kllr has repeatedly berated people for extremely in adequate reasons. Beligerent behavior towards others isn't appropriate in any situation, and his justification is far from reasonable. "With good reason." Heh. If you can show me any good reason for his treatment of me, rather than politely asking for clarification, then I will bow down to you. As it so happens, there is none. And rather than me being the one who fails, I believe it is Kllr, for being an egotistical ***hole with no reason at all.

EDIT: Oh, and if I'm not worthy of his help, why does he need to interject?
I am going to go with Dan on this one. Even if ZB had changed his request, that is no reason to be upset. Admittedly, his original question was a bit confusing, but he fixed that and apologized for it.
I'm gonna stay out of this one and let free speech take its course, but I recommend that it'll probably get resolved faster if we focus on solving ZB's problem.
Well, I thought I modified Brandon's program earlier to do what ZB wanted. If it doesn't work, or isn't what was requested, please let me know. Because I enjoy helping people since they are fellow human beings, regardless of whether they respect/fear me enough to ensure their request is perfectly phrased and shows the gratitude they obviously owe to a superior being such as myself. Cool
Okay, first off, my post was out of line. Not really sure why I made it. Yes, some of the quotes in it were just dumb. And rereading it, I'm obviously explaining Kllr's thinking. I don't know his mindset. That was just my interpretation of how I think he's thinking.

The 'worthy of his help' was a dumb comment on my end. But still, I fully agree with the stance that if you're asking for help you should be as polite as possible about it. Helping someone takes time out of your day. Therefore, if asked for help, you expect the request to be in an optimal format (ie, explained correctly). Of course, if you changed your mind, there's nothing wrong with that (Keep in mind, ZB, my post was bashing what magicdan said, not what you did). It possibly should have been more clear that you were indeed changing your mind, though. That would have made interpreting what you wanted a little easier.

And to Kllrnhoj, I'm sorry about what I said in my previous post. I put words in your mouth and tried to explain your stance without actually knowing it. I didn't mean for it to make you sound as egotistical as it did. I didn't reread it before posting, plus I was just kind of annoyed by the way the thread was going. Again, I apologize.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours