14%  [ 2 ]
Puzzle
 50%  [ 7 ]
Math
 0%  [ 0 ]
RPG
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

I would like to participate, in the Basic section. (I think of using xLib. Can I?).
And about the prize, I think that the winner should have the right to choose an item from http://www.cafepress.com/cemetech.
ZagorNBK wrote:
I would like to participate, in the Basic section. (I think of using xLib. Can I?).
And about the prize, I think that the winner should have the right to choose an item from http://www.cafepress.com/cemetech.
Eh, I think we should stick with either pure BASIC or pure ASM. Can you work within that?
Well, I can't do asm as I am not enough experienced in it (though I am learning) and pure Basic is very slow and the graphics arn't great. But I think that I can do it without xLib.
Have you not looked at pokemon purple? Razz It is almost pure basic, except for 3 little asm programs Smile

I am sure you can do it. Wink
ZagorNBK wrote:
Well, I can't do asm as I am not enough experienced in it (though I am learning) and pure Basic is very slow and the graphics arn't great. But I think that I can do it without xLib.
Then you're doing it wrong. As tifreak8x says, BASIC is quite powerful on its own if you learn to use it without the crutch of hybrid BASIC. Smile
My vote would be the Black T-shirt but that's just me. And considering it looks like it will be a puzzle game I don't think I'll be able to do asm, so I'm less likley to win. for the prize that is, also I agree it should be pure basic only unless we want a hybrid basic section for the contest.
TheStorm wrote:
My vote would be the Black T-shirt but that's just me. And considering it looks like it will be a puzzle game I don't think I'll be able to do asm, so I'm less likley to win. for the prize that is, also I agree it should be pure basic only unless we want a hybrid basic section for the contest.
Nope, as a judge I think I'll make a ruling, no hybrid BASIC. So Storm, we'll probably just have a pure BASIC section unless people from other sites want to contribute ASM submissions.
Could we have some criteria? Such as the relative importance of speed to memory to size? And when are we going to start?
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Could we have some criteria? Such as the relative importance of speed to memory to size? And when are we going to start?

What's the difference between memory and size?
foamy3 wrote:
Well, size as in the physical size of the code in the program (if you don't optimize, the size gets bigger); that much memory is always taken up as long as the program's on your calculator. By memory, he means the resources that are temporarily taken up while the program is running (such as creating a temporary list to save scores). Having things like memory leaks make the calc use more memory.

On a computer:
Size=The size of an application to be installed.
Memory=The amount of RAM and processes used while running the program.
jfabi82 wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
Well, size as in the physical size of the code in the program (if you don't optimize, the size gets bigger); that much memory is always taken up as long as the program's on your calculator. By memory, he means the resources that are temporarily taken up while the program is running (such as creating a temporary list to save scores). Having things like memory leaks make the calc use more memory.

On a computer:

Ah, I wasn't taking Lists, Strings, and variables into account. I just figured that since the entire program was stored in RAM, there really wasn't much variation.
About the memory thing if the program is done right everything can be archived until its run.
I have come up with an idea for a puzzle game I just need to find a good tile mapper routine so I can start on the engine. If I must I'll do it in BASIC if I can't find a good four way, non-smooth scrolling routine. Yes it must be non-smooth scrolling but I can't say any more than that. If it is in BASIC it will have ASCII graphics but as a puzzle game that won't matter much.
TheStorm wrote:
About the memory thing if the program is done right everything can be archived until its run.
I have come up with an idea for a puzzle game I just need to find a good tile mapper routine so I can start on the engine, if I must I'll do it in basic if I can't find a good four way, non-smooth scrolling routine. Yes it must be non-smooth scrolling but I can't say any more than that. if it is in basic it will be ascii graphics but as a puzzle game that won't matter much.
Holy mackerel, Storm, lay off on murdering the English language. Let's see how that should have read:

TheStorm wrote:
Regarding the memory issue: if the program is written correctly almost everything can be archived until the program is run. I have come up with an idea for a puzzle game; I just need to find a good tile mapper routine so I can start on the engine. If I must, I'll do it in BASIC, especially if I can't find a good four-way, non-smooth scrolling routine. Yes, it must be non-smooth scrolling but I can't be any more specific than that. If the program is in BASIC it will be ASCII graphics, but for a puzzle game that won't be as significant.

See? Capital letters can be fun too.
But back on topic, glad to hear you have an idea. Judges and participants: what rules are we setting on external libraries and routines?
jfabi82 wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

On a computer:

Actually, I was just being stupid. There wasn't a difference in my mind when I said it.
I might enter for basic depending on the chosen category.
lafferjm wrote:
I might enter for basic depending on the chosen category.
Almost definitely puzle at this point, as far as I can see. You should definitely enter.
KermMartian wrote:
Holy mackerel, Storm, lay off on murdering the English language.

Aside from captilizing BASIC and ASCII that post is not as bad as that statment makes it sound. Murder is definitaly an overstatement. I will fix the capitlization but the rest is just fine, it may not be the greatest grammer it is not murdering it either.
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Holy mackerel, Storm, lay off on murdering the English language.

Aside from captilizing BASIC and ASCII that post is not as bad as that statment makes it sound. Murder is definitaly an overstatement. I will fix the capitlization but the rest is just fine, it may not be the greatest grammer it is not murdering it either.
I'll admit I've seen worse, but your lack of punctuation is painful. Sad

Let's get back on topic. Smile
Well I've found a few tile mapper routines but the more I think about it I'm a little over my head if I atempt my origonal idea. I may be able to implement some of it but there is a lot of things to take into account if I do go through with it. I have found a few tilemapper routines but they are all smooth scrolling so I'll just have to move the charicter 8 pixels at a time and to make the map/puzzle dynamic I'll have to copy it some where that has enough space which limits the map size a lot. Well I guess not a 64x96 map is preatty big. well anyways I plan to start codeing soon so hopefuly I'll at least have somewhat of a demo by the contest end.
Um, in the past contests I don't think we were allowed to use other people's routines...

Just saying..

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours