Liazon wrote:
also I'm guess I need to request for an Ubuntu liveCD by mail right?

No, you can download it. I'm guessing that when you insert the installation CD, one of the options will be to use it as a live CD (maybe "Graphical Installation" or something).
bfr wrote:
Liazon wrote:
also I'm guess I need to request for an Ubuntu liveCD by mail right?

No, you can download it. I'm guessing that when you insert the installation CD, one of the options will be to use it as a live CD (maybe "Graphical Installation" or something).

The regular install CD that you download is also a LiveCD - the two are one and the same Smile

@Mexi: I was technically right in that you can't resize it, you can only shrink it Razz (not expand - which doesn't make any sense, but whatever). Also it only lets you shrink NTFS drives that are mapped, not FAT32 ones (not sure why, but whatever).
Back to the point of our Hardy Heron experiences:
I like the new Ubuntu version, though at first it didn't seem different at all. They finally fixed the broadcom wireless driver issue so I no longer have to bother with ndsiwrapper to get wireless working on my laptop. Firefox 3b5 is the same, if not a tad bit faster, than its Windows counterpart, though I still miss TabMixPlus. The new Wine is awesome (iirc, the last version for the gutsy WineHQ repo is only 0.9.59, while the hardy WineHQ repo is up-to-date with the now current 0.9.60), the new compiz effects are neat (though I kind of miss the "custom" appearance option from the main Appearance preferences), I haven't had sound problems so far (a miracle since I use HDA Intel, one of the worst cases of driver incompatibilities so far for Linux distros)... oh, and for those rare Linux gamers out there, Nexuiz 2.4 kicks major @$$. Cool
Nexuiz looks pretty cool. Cool You should check out OpenArena too.
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
The new Wine is awesome (iirc, the last version for the gutsy WineHQ repo is only 0.9.59, while the hardy WineHQ repo is up-to-date with the now current 0.9.60),

I use the debs from WineHQ - the Ubuntu ones were way too old and they botched them (somehow they forgot to link against a simple JPEG library for the amd64 version - fail. What pissed me off is that in the bugzilla they were like "Fixed in 8.04", which was still in beta at the time. GIVE THEM TO ME NEXT TIME!!!!)

Quote:
the new compiz effects are neat (though I kind of miss the "custom" appearance option from the main Appearance preferences)

Just use the Compiz settings manager thingy (its under preferences - right above "Appearances" if I remember correctly...)
I'm pretty sure FAT32 has some strange stuff that prevents it from being resized while in use, while NTFS was designed with the possibility of live resizing in mind.
bfr wrote:
Nexuiz looks pretty cool. Cool You should check out OpenArena too.

I actually like OpenArena better than Nexuiz because it is much easier to set up a singleplayer non-Deathmatch map and there is a lot less stuff going on at the same time to dissorient your vision. But I like Nexuiz's weapons with alt-fire better than Openarena's one-weapon, one-use approach. The only exception to the rule is, of course, the gauntlet, which never gets boring (shredding apart people using jumping platforms = win Cool )

@Kllrnohj: Yeah, I was talking about the WineHQ repo. Though the gutsy WineHQ repo isn't as outdated as the official Ubuntu gutsy repo (which is, iirc, currently at 0.9.19), it is still one version behind the hardy WineHQ repo.
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is pretty freaking awesome too - plays great on my system.

Oh, and if you are having fullscreen issues with OpenGL games, I have found the following to work well:

metacity --replace & sleep 3 && <GAME COMMAND> && compiz --replace &
Kllrnohj wrote:
Also it only lets you shrink NTFS drives that are mapped, not FAT32 ones (not sure why, but whatever).
That isn't true. I have always been able to shrink and expand my FAT32 drives on Vista. Maybe it is because I use Home Premium or something... Confused
JoostinOnline wrote:
That isn't true. I have always been able to shrink and expand my FAT32 drives on Vista. Maybe it is because I use Home Premium or something... Confused

Key word in there is "mapped" - aka, drives that show up as D:, E:, etc... If you unmount/unmap the drive, then all the resize options show up, but that wasn't the initial topic Smile

Oh, and I use Ultimate x64 - so I can do everything you can and then some Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
Oh, and I use Ultimate x64 - so I can do everything you can and then some Wink

Along with those great features from Vista Ultimate x64 you also get the option to buy more RAM or just have a slow system. Oh, and don't you forget that excessively high and unnecessary price! Very Happy J/K
I didn't pay anything for my 100% microsoft sanctioned (e.g., they sent it to me) copies of Windows Vista Ultimate (32 + 64 bit editions). don't know what you're complaining about with this "overpriced" comment Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
I didn't pay anything for my 100% microsoft sanctioned (e.g., they sent it to me) copies of Windows Vista Ultimate (32 + 64 bit editions). don't know what you're complaining about with this "overpriced" comment Wink

Ditto - hurray for the Windows Feedback Program + MSDN AA!

@Mexi: Ultimate doesn't use any more RAM than the regular versions do Rolling Eyes (but the x64 does mean I can use all 4GB of mah RAM, w00t)
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Ditto - hurray for the Windows Feedback Program + MSDN AA!

@Mexi: Ultimate doesn't use any more RAM than the regular versions do Rolling Eyes (but the x64 does mean I can use all 4GB of mah RAM, w00t)

or moar Very Happy

also, what's MSDN AA?
elfprince13 wrote:
also, what's MSDN AA?

MSDN AA = MSDN Academic Alliance Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
also, what's MSDN AA?

Basically, Microsoft trying to make itself more popular among college and some high school students by giving away free versions of Office 2007 and Vista to certified students. Not like anybody wants Office 2007 with its horrible GUI over a slightly-bloated and open-source OpenOffice...

PS. I have heard that the 64 bit versions of Vista are better than the 32 bit versions, with increased performance and almost no crashing (though you still get a slightly bogged-down computer and driver incompatibilities), so Kllrnohj might be better off with his version of Vista than a version of XP, depending on how fast is computer is and his everyday computing needs.
I run 32bit Ultimate on my computer and I have no issues with it at all with stability.

Also, the MSDNAA gives away a number of other pieces of software include Windows, Visual Studio, and a couple other things. Each college has a different offering, and it can change at any time.
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
also, what's MSDN AA?

Basically, Microsoft trying to make itself more popular among college and some high school students by giving away free versions of Office 2007 and Vista to certified students. Not like anybody wants Office 2007 with its horrible GUI over a slightly-bloated and open-source OpenOffice...

PS. I have heard that the 64 bit versions of Vista are better than the 32 bit versions, with increased performance and almost no crashing (though you still get a slightly bogged-down computer and driver incompatibilities), so Kllrnohj might be better off with his version of Vista than a version of XP, depending on how fast is computer is and his everyday computing needs.

Seriously, I think you have a bashing problem, it may be worse than Kllritus, then again, no it can't be worse than Kllritus, because at least Kllr makes a good point. Both the 64 and 32bit versions of Vista (I have 64bit Vista Home Premium) are VERY stable and I have actually not even had ONE crash in the past four months that I have had it. And I also use Microsoft Office 2007 because it is actually VERY nice with an excellent GUI. OpenOffice is great if you are one of those people who only constantly talk bad about other software because they actually charge money for their product. Don't get me wrong OpenOffice is great and I use it when I am running linux but if I have access to Office 2997 I will use that over OpenOffice any day.
Delnar_Ersike wrote:

The 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Vista are for all intent and purposes identical in speed, performance, and stability. All versions of Vista are rock-solid from what I've seen, with any crashes due to extremely poor driver support from manufacturers (its just downright embarrassing that manufacturers are taking this long to put out a decent driver). Also, the only people who have speed issues with Vista are the retards that didn't meet the recommended specs to begin with. If you do meet the recommended, Vista is all around snappier and more responsive than XP thanks to SuperFetch.

As for Office 2007, I have no idea what you are talking about. The GUI is mostly excellent, with a few issues here and there, but all around a solid improvement. It is also much quicker to load than OpenOffice, and Word in particular is much better than OpenOffice. Now, with that said, I wouldn't pay a dime for Office since OpenOffice is very solid and free, but since I get Office 2007 for free, why use an inferior product? Wink

The MSDN AA also includes things like Visual Studio 2003, 2005, AND 2008 (all Pro editions, naturally), Vista business (32 and 64), XP Pro (32 and 64), Virtual PC, One Note, etc... Office is actually one of the few MS products that ISN'T on the MSDN AA (at least, not for us)
I have too agree Office 2007 is nice once you get used to it, I still perfur 2003 but that just because I haven't had the time to get acustomed to 2007's new gui style.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours