What mp3 player should I get? (specify specific model)
Ipod Touch
 16%  [ 2 ]
Normal Ipod
 0%  [ 0 ]
Zune
 33%  [ 4 ]
Zen
 33%  [ 4 ]
Archos
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (specify)
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

My birthday is coming up and I am considering buying myself an mp3 player of some sort. I have done some research and considered a lot, but I want to know what you guys think.

Tari has suggested the CSmiling Catn A3, so consider that too, although it is a bit big =P
n/a3/tech_specs.html" rel="ugc" target="_blank" class="postlink">http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cSmiling Catn/a3/tech_specs.html

I think the Ipod Touch is pretty cool, but 600 dollars or so for 32 gb? hell no.

Normal Ipods are... ok I guess... Personally, I kind of hate the wheel, but that might just be me.

A person at my school has a Zune and it is actually pretty nice, and extremely sturdy.

Zen players seem to be one of the best bets for me, and I am mainly considering these:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15752
and
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=16999
I really like how those are, not sure what everyone else thinks. One is 300 and the 60 gb one is about 350.

My last idea is the Archos players (I think the 605 or 405 look like ones that would be the right dimensions for "school use"). I honestly have no idea what everyone thinks of them, but internet on it would be pretty nice =D
I did more research on the Archos, and it seems that they really nickle and dime you on plugins and such, and also that their customer service sucks. Still looks pretty nice though...

Wifi is a plus, so is radio, and a high capacity sd card reader would make it even better!
I agree that the Zen is going to be your best bet goven the feature set you're looking for.
If you don't mind spending a little more than other players would cost you, I say the n/a3/" rel="ugc" target="_blank" class="postlink">CSmiling Catn A3. It just wins. See the link.
The Tari wrote:
If you don't mind spending a little more than other players would cost you, I say the n/a3/" rel="ugc" target="_blank" class="postlink">CSmiling Catn A3. It just wins. See the link.

It seems to be nice, but it is a bit big and, from what I have read, the music navigation sucks and so does the joystick for navigation. The battery is also an area of concern for me.
My friend has an archos and he loves it, but it is one of the bigger ones (don't remember the number, sorry)

My vote is on the Zen - Creative is great, I love them. That cSmiling Catn, though, looks hawt...
Kllrnohj wrote:
My friend has an archos and he loves it, but it is one of the bigger ones (don't remember the number, sorry)

My vote is on the Zen - Creative is great, I love them. That cSmiling Catn, though, looks hawt...

I will probably get zen, but which one? the 32 gb one or one of the zen vision w? I am going to try and get my mom to pay for 100 dollars or so for my Birthday =)

EDIT: I have looked more closely at user reviews, and it seems that the Creative Zen suffers from firmware problems and a cheap feel. The new Zune, however, seems to be quite good. Honestly, if the Ipod Touch had an sdhc slot, I would buy the 16 or 8 gb one, the 32 gb one is way to expensive. =\
Cowin A3, Zen(whatever), zune. In that order would be what I suggest. I like my 30gb zune but the computer side software has some issues, like failing. The Cowin A3 just wins is features and files it supports but is large and I'm not sure how easy it is to use. The zens are nice players but have a cheap feel to them and I'm not sure how well they last.
I've always had a thing for Iriver's because they support ogg vorbis, which is the primary format I use for music. My T10 2GB is great for it's size and has FM radio with support for many popular audio formats, Unfortunately, the really nice players like the E100 are not sold in the US. the clix are OK but are about 1 year behind everybody else, and by the time the E100 comes here (if it does) it will probably be bested by something else. you can find E100's on eBay sometimes, but good luck finding a US store selling it.

The Cowan's don't look too bad. They support a lot of formats. Never messed with one. Definitely got my attention if Iriver Omni's on North America like I think there trying to do.

Never messed with an Archos. a lot of people like them though. I wouldn't touch them personally because they don't support OGG or FLAC, but I'm crazy like that.

Played with Zunes for awile. They're ok. don't know anything about the software. don't support much formats other than windows media stuff. they don't come up as a hard drive either.

Stay away from Apple. Overpriced, Underpowered and break a lot with support that can best be described as the finger. Only good thing there is Itunes, and unless you buy a ton of music that's not that great of an incentive.

Zen's I haven't played too much with. Considering it's coming from Creative, I would say that the PC software will be some overbloated unnecessary monster that will kill your PC. At least that's been my experience with their Sound card SW. At least you can avoid using it since they usually come up as a hard drive. They also do not support OGG so they would be off my personal list.

Basically a music player choice come down to three things.

1) What formats does it support. Pretty much all of them support MP3 and WMA. Most support non DRM AAC, and few support FLAC and OGG. Personally I like OGG Vorbis because it's Open source and sounds just as good as MP3 with half to 1/3 of the file size, which basically equals more music on the player. FLAC is basically a lossless version of OGG, and is the standard for lossless audio.

Video wise, WMV and AVI are popular. XVID and DIVX are on some of them. Most AVI's you'll find on the internet are either DIVX or XVID.

2) Do you want FM. If you do, you don't want an Apple. Just about everything else has FM

3) Software support. Ideally, you don't want a unit tied to software, such as an Ipod or a Zune. The best players out there use UMS and show up as a hard drive when you plug it into a PC. Some players want to use Microsoft's Media Transfer Protocol or MTP. Basically you're tied to WMP. many players out there can switch between the two setups.
We were shopping today, and I looked at the Zunes. I actually like them quite a bit, and the 80 gb one is only 250 dollars with a nice large screen and everything. I will probably lean towards that, primarily because it is the only one that is sold in any local stores. Circuit City may, possibly, might have a Creative Zen for me to look at... hmmm...

While ogg support is nice and my music was all in .ogg for quite a while, I ended up converting it so I could put it on other people's Ipod's and such. Something that natively supports divx and xvid would be nice, but neither the Zen or Zune do, although the Zen vision w does, it seems a bit big and does not have an sd card for me to expand it. =\
With the Zune there are hacks that allow you to view it as a Hard drive but it is read only unless you are syncing at the time so send a large video or something if you want to have it be unlocked for a long time.
it really depends on your memroy requierments;

I would highly suggest for a larger flash player
- iriver E100
- zune8 (thats what I have, I love it except for the zune software which honestly blows); the player's interface itself is wonderful, like a touchscreen with tactile feedback if you want it =D
- toshiba gigabeat (any model)

if a touch screen is that important to you, there is also the Smasung P2 and the Meizu knock-off (which I heard got shut down @ CES btw). Personally I dont really like the P2 (particularly the wierd new OS)

regarding the Zen; I dont particularly like the wierd toggle (I find it wierdly slow) and its priced simliarly to the iPod touch 32gb anways ...

BTW have you considered a clix2 (my friend loves his)?

I dont believe you're looking for a smaller player based on your descriptions, but anyways if you want a iPod shuffle-esque player theres always the iRiver S10,Sansa Fuze, Sansa Clip, and the Zen Stone.
I got a Zune 80, and I love it =D
I love the video, watching Obama's race speech right now.

If I had wanted a smaller capacity I would have gotten an Iriver or something. Touchscreens are to expensive, otherwise I would have bought the samsung p8 or whatever it is.
Good choice, if I say so. I <3 my Zune 30, discounting the computer-side software (which isn't _too_ bad), as well.
Harq wrote:

otherwise I would have bought the samsung p8 or whatever it is.

grr.. its P2 =D Good Idea
The Tari wrote:
Good choice, if I say so. I <3 my Zune 30, discounting the computer-side software (which isn't _too_ bad), as well.

The Zune 30 is a brick =O
You could kill small animals with that thing =P
I really like my Zune 80 though (and the Zune 4 and 8 look good to, although I wouldn't get those, not enough memory)

Anyways, off to write my English explication...
Meizu miniplayer ftw. Cheap chinese knockoff, sure, but it's got more features than an iPod, and they're working on porting rockbox to it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours