http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/msg/52f04d4ab1121c9b

Interesting post...

Thoughts?
Wow, I have never seen Linux compared to human beings and it actually makes sense.

Linux is great and all, don't get me wrong, but it is not for the faint of heart from my experiences. I used Ubuntu for a while and when something goes wrong, it goes WRONG. I think that Linux is at the point where features and options are not a limitation and now focusing on being able to more easily interact with the system than with su becomes an option.

That is just my opinion and I have only used two different distributions of Linux, so if I am wrong please correct me.
Mexi1010 wrote:
Linux is great and all, don't get me wrong, but it is not for the faint of heart from my experiences. I used Ubuntu for a while and when something goes wrong, it goes WRONG. I think that Linux is at the point where features and options are not a limitation and now focusing on being able to more easily interact with the system than with su becomes an option.

What are you talking about? Linux problems are extremely mild compared to windows problems. Windows gets an issue? If it didn't BSOD, reboot. Thats basically your only choice - and it sucks because there are many times when a reboot just isn't an option (working on something, downloading file, etc...)

Linux, on the other hand, will never kernel panic (BSOD equivalent) in comparison, and just about *everything* can be fixed without rebooting

http://isnerd.net/2007/11/07/linux-server-survives-total-raid-failure/ <- Linux will even survive having the hard drives its installed to fail from under it and STILL WORK. Dude even got the basic router functionality they were using it for back up and running by making a ram-disk for the temp files. Now thats hawt.
I didn't know that, it is very good to know. I could not get Ubuntu installed on my computer. Every time I go to boot up the live CD it just reboots and goes to Vista. Anyone have an idea why this happens?

(If you need more info let me know.)
Mexi1010 wrote:
I didn't know that, it is very good to know. I could not get Ubuntu installed on my computer. Every time I go to boot up the live CD it just reboots and goes to Vista. Anyone have an idea why this happens?

(If you need more info let me know.)

CD doesn't default to booting before hard drive or you changed the boot order would be my two guesses. I just hit F8 (key might be different for you) on the POST screen to bring up the boot menu and select CD (that way I can have it default to hard-drive first to boot faster)

You might also have to hit enter or similar to actually boot the disk (look for a "hit key to boot from cd...." prompt or similar)
It boots the disk and everything, but is it supposed to reset my computer when I try to run the live CD. (I get the option and see the Ubuntu logo and all, but then I hit enter to start CD and it reboots my computer, of course, then booting from the HDD and if I boot from CD the same thing happens.)
Mexi1010 wrote:
It boots the disk and everything, but is it supposed to reset my computer when I try to run the live CD. (I get the option and see the Ubuntu logo and all, but then I hit enter to start CD and it reboots my computer, of course, then booting from the HDD and if I boot from CD the same thing happens.)

No, that isn't supposed to happen... No idea why without messing around with it. Try some of the various boot options (not the BIOS boot options, the ubuntu ones)

Or try the text-only installer
the only thing is though, that natural selection does not lead to perfection. It's more like survival of whatever is good at the time at that environment.
Liazon wrote:
the only thing is though, that natural selection does not lead to perfection. It's more like survival of whatever is good at the time at that environment.

Of course the best choice isn't going to be perfect - but I'll take "good and it actually exists." over "perfect but doesn't have a chance in hell of ever existing" Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours