http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=7902807&nav=menu183_2

essentially, we owned. There were like 2 oil resellers/proponents at the hearing, and they were forgotten about after the 3rd or 4th of one of us who started off with, "I am also a member of the Vermont Sustainable Heating Initiative"

unfortunately, WCAX didn't record the whole thing, and the local station that did hasn't posted it online anywhere yet. I'll try and find then. also, techno dancing on the state house lawn == win.
Excellent job sir, I'm glad to see that you're making good progress on this project. Where are you guys going from here with it?
KermMartian wrote:
Excellent job sir, I'm glad to see that you're making good progress on this project. Where are you guys going from here with it?

keeping up the pressure at the state level, looking for grant money to start a pilot project, and beginning to push out onto the national stage
I still ask has it become economic enough to turn switchgrass(and other high celulose plants) into fuel or are the enzymes required sill too exspensive. oh and also make sure they the don't even look at corn enthonol because it is waistfull, because it onlyuses the kernal and not the rest of the plant, and not economic, considering it takes over a gallon of gas to make o gallon of ethonol.
TheStorm wrote:
I still ask has it become economic enough to turn switchgrass(and other high celulose plants) into fuel or are the enzymes required sill too exspensive. oh and also make sure they the don't even look at corn enthonol because it is waistfull, because it onlyuses the kernal and not the rest of the plant, and not economic, considering it takes over a gallon of gas to make o gallon of ethonol.

we're not looking at ethanol. we're looking at solid biomass fuels and home heating for precisely those reasons. VT has the resources to heat entirely with local fuel without hurting food production. you should check out our website (in my signature), and read what we're actually proposing.
By the way, I wanted to mention to you, the web design for that site makes me very sad. Any chance of that getting fixed?
KermMartian wrote:
By the way, I wanted to mention to you, the web design for that site makes me very sad. Any chance of that getting fixed?

of course, just suggest things you want fixed, I only spent 15minutesish on it, plus a couple minutes adding links when we ended up on the news.
1. Default the background of the middle part to green, don't make me have to mouseover to get it readable.
2. The fish is...eh. You need a logo that looks more professional and/or contextual.
improvement? I think yes.
elfprince13 wrote:
improvement? I think yes.
Muuuch better. Well done there, sir.
woot! good for you!
elfprince13 wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
I still ask has it become economic enough to turn switch grass(and other high cellulose plants) into fuel or are the enzymes required sill too expensive. oh and also make sure they the don't even look at corn enthanol because it is waistfull, because it only uses the kernel and not the rest of the plant, and not economic, considering it takes over a gallon of gas to make o gallon of ethonol.

we're not looking at ethanol. we're looking at solid biomass fuels and home heating for precisely those reasons. VT has the resources to heat entirely with local fuel without hurting food production. you should check out our website (in my signature), and read what we're actually proposing.

I saw your site and I like the improvements but my question is still are the enzymes used to convert the prairie grass(switch grass seems to be the best of these) into the pellets/biofuels cheap enough to be economical. It is great that you realize that ethanol is not the answer but last I heard the solution you are suggesting is still too expensive to be useful.
TheStorm wrote:
I saw your site and I like the improvements but my question is still are the enzymes used to convert the prairie grass(switch grass seems to be the best of these) into the pellets/biofuels cheap enough to be economical. It is great that you realize that ethanol is not the answer but last I heard the solution you are suggesting is still too expensive to be useful.

there are no enzymes involved with the conversion process, and for self drying biomass like prairie grasses, or waxed cardboard diverted from the solid waste stream there's about a 6% net energy loss in the pelletizing process. Localized pelletizing plants minimize the transportation costs from field->pellet->stove.

This project represents the culmination of 2 years of research and quantitative analysis, we have the numbers to prove that the whole state can be heat off locally grown pellet fuels, and that if the whole state were to switch it would provide a 1.1 to 2.5 billion dollar a year lift to the state economy (depending on what number you accept for multiplier effect)
keep in mind he's talking about VT, which is a conveniently small state in both population and physical size.

He's not asking the entire country to convert.

just wondering, are these pellets analogous to burning wood except less polution and not actually killing trees, but rather rather prolific grass?
Liazon wrote:
keep in mind he's talking about VT, which is a conveniently small state in both population and physical size.

He's not asking the entire country to convert.

just wondering, are these pellets analogous to burning wood except less polution and not actually killing trees, but rather rather prolific grass?

you can burn anything you can turn into pellets (e.g. cardboard, sawdust, hemp, corn, grass, wood, anything, a mixture is actually best), but its similar, except much safer, has about 1/4 the moisture content, and burns at 85% efficiency (meaning you can vent at ground level with no chimney) instead of >50%.
our radio interview on 91.1 WGDR in .mp3 format

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours