» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOTE: I do want criticism on this but there is one criticism that will anger me greatly. In know that this program is relatively useless, limited and probably will not be used by anybody. Just hear me out.

Title: Lunar IDE
(Integrated Development Environment)
Concept:This is a BASIC program which allows one to develop, edit and run BASIC programs. I will possibly incorporate asm later (with the help of one of you guys / OTBP assembler) but at the moment this is not a goal. The program will hopefully help make developing and editing programs easier.
Features:
>> Indented, 8 line viewing. (Look here)
>>> Lines with ellipses will automatically scroll after several seconds.
>> Header helper:
>>> DCS (16*16, 8*8, Subprograms)
>>> MOS
>>> Hybrid
>> 3-5 letter command fill. How this works: Type in the first 3-5 letters of a command (depending on the command) and it will fill in the rest. Depending on the command the first 3, 4, or 5 letters are unique.
>> End helper: Identifies the number of Ends necessary that have not been typed.
>> Program exist checking. If you type the code "prgmABC" and prgmABC does not exist it will alert you.

For creating icons I might just jack some code from Tifreak8x/Kerm's icon generator if I'm lazy. I will of course put you guys in the credits if I do this.

What do you guys think? Other feature ideas? I haven't listed every minute detail that I have planned out but the broad strokes are listed above.
Comment lines plzkthx.
Good idea. A couple things:
1) Remember: This executes like a normal BASIC program. I'm not making my own language.
2) There are only two ways to do this (that I can think of)
a)
Code:
:"...Comment goes here...

b) Create another program or an appvar which has identical number of lines only with comments instead of commands.
Which would you recommend?

More updates: A preliminary search of all the commands shows that not every TI-OS command has a unique 3-5 first letters. Therefore, for the moment at least, these commands will be in an extra menu.
I Like the Idea but this would be better of if made in asm because other wise you will be using a lot of asm libs.
The idea seems interesting to try to build. However, if getting the commands is menu-based, then there is little advantage to the DE over the OS. Most of the major commands should be able to be recognized with the first 2 or so characters.

main commands:
For( - no other command starts with fo . . .
While( - the only other command that starts with w is web, and I've never used web so far...
Repeat( - requires three characters due to a bunch of ref commands
End - only other en command is eng, which is rarely used . . .

Recommendations:
Have a list of common commands that can be recognized effectively with 2 characters, then another with 3, etc. The goal of this program is to make programming easier and faster, so you should add as many as possible shortcuts.

Also, how fast is it going to be? It will need to be at least moderately fast, or there won't be much point to it.
You could set it up like the 86's where you can type in commands(or shortcuts) and then when you close it changes them into tokens.
@TheStorm: At the moment, the intent is to use only one asm lib (Celtic2).
The 86 thing is also an interesting idea. That would require a complete scan of the program... I'll think about it.

@b-flat: The major commands will be recognized based on the first 3-5 characters (including case sensitivity (no way to get around this)).
I'm going to compile it all into one string seeing as inString is pretty flexible for that sort of thing.
Anything that is non-recognizable using the first 3-5 characters will be put into a menu.
In all honesty I just use physical memory to find commands in ti-Basic...

Anyways, it would be interesting to make this platform for those who hardly know how to program in basic; ex: templates/"wizards", auto-syntax correction, and subroutines Very Happy
I also use physical memory to find them, although I usually find myself silently reciting something "program-right-3" as I do so.
I use physical memory is well, which allows me to code very fast. The other people at my school who code calculators haven't mastered that technique yet and are therefore impressed by my coding speed (all 2 of them).

This would be a good tool for beginning coders. I'll think about things that would make it easier for them.
Like Kerm, I often silently recite things, I once created a guessing game program in total darkness Very Happy and it worked! But anyways, mabye you could make it auto-program, as in if you use Repeat a lot, it goes to the top of the list for the R commands ect.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

This would be a good tool for beginning coders. I'll think about things that would make it easier for them.

1.) templates/GUI's (like the programmer gives a function (such as graph-drawing code, an equation, ec...) and then the user inputs variables
2.) loose syntax rules/automatic syntax correction
3.) Better command names (AKA kill "seq", "iPart", etc... Very Happy
4.) make it so that mode always quits no matter where in the program
5.) make an omnicalc-esque menu where common functions can be added...
6.) subroutine/calling rather than labels Very Happy This makes it easier to structure large code...
This actually sounds like quite a good idea the more I think about it. I look forward to seeing where you go with this.
rthprog wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

1.) templates/GUI's (like the programmer gives a function (such as graph-drawing code, an equation, ec...) and then the user inputs variables
2.) loose syntax rules/automatic syntax correction
3.) Better command names (AKA kill "seq", "iPart", etc... Very Happy
4.) make it so that mode always quits no matter where in the program
5.) make an omnicalc-esque menu where common functions can be added...
6.) subroutine/calling rather than labels Very Happy This makes it easier to structure large code...

@4 I wouldn't do this unless you make another way for programmers to access those mode settings.
Maybe put [Clear] or [Graph] instead of [Mode]? I mean, who hits graph while programming?
PLEAS make it so you have to press another button with [clear] to clear a line, many a time have a lost a huge boolean line by an accidental clear press.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
PLEAS make it so you have to press another button with [clear] to clear a line, many a time have a lost a huge boolean line by an accidental clear press.

Or just have it confirm if clear is pressed.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Myself as well, especially when I use the manual colon trick to compress the vertical space of my code.
Wow, alot of response. Let me address what I can.

I like all those ideas for new programmers, I'll see what I can add.

After you suggested the same keypress for quit, no matter where you are, I have decided on [GRAPH] will always be quit and [MODE] will always be the main menu.

I do intend to have a confirmation screen appear when you press the [CLEAR] to clear a line.

I now have my calculator back, so I will be able to resume coding, which is good because yesterday morning, I figured out exactly how to do the auto-complete (which was being buggy) but couldn't code it.

Thanks for all the responses, this is a lot of positive encouragement, and makes me want to finish this more than ever.
may i request the name be changed to Lunar IDE to make it more clear what the purpose is?

also,

using "
works fine for comments, but only if you're not using Ans much.

also, its a good idea to take them out once the program is done to save space + speed it up a little

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours