Just wondering, what did you use to do the lights? Did you use a bumpmap or actually model them?
I have a sky light, and a light-tracer on for the rendering.

Rubik's cube:
Looking good! I just want to mention that I've messed around with MoI a bit and I'm quite impressed so far. Thumbsup
Here is an hourglass that i created using ArtOfIllusion, the wood could look more realistic but overall i think i did a good job.

Currently trying to get my hands on Autodesk Inventor 2008, which may suck for some people, but it was my first 3D modeler and I am totally accustomed to its features and interface. MoI is the closest I've gotten, but it doesn't allow skinning of creations.
Ive never heard of autodesk. Here is a quick cube i created in about ten minutes using boolean modelling. I didn't add any textures because I am still learning how to create realistic wood as you can see by the hourglass:

may I see a wireframe? I'd like to see how messed up the model is, compared to 3ds max. Max sucks at boolean modeling. ;p
Sure can:

in your case it was o.k. but always be cautious of boolean modeling. It ruins the geometry of your model. ;p I've learned to stay away.
Groene07 wrote:
in your case it was o.k. but always be cautious of boolean modeling. It ruins the geometry of your model. ;p I've learned to stay away.
Yeah, I ran into that with 3ds max when trying to model the front of the CPRR1 train. :/
lol. Beware of boolean. I think the deciding factor in 3d art is not how well you model, because anyone could make something similar within any given time, but how you approach modeling it. First by determining where the model will be used, necessary constraints in modeling, and so forth. Then by creatively finding a way to get the intended result through cunning methods, others haven't thought to try before.

So for me, I'd actually spend an hour making a dice, rather than using boolean, to see if I could, and to find a comparable difficulty level as using boolean, but not ruining the geometry of the model.

(not harking on lafferjm, Just my opinion on what makes a 3d artist great imo.)

sorry if this didn't make sense to anyone. ;p
Groene07 wrote:

which only really matters if you need to keep the poly count down.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Groene07 wrote:

which only really matters if you need to keep the poly count down.
Not really. After a while repeated boolean modeling causes unexpected results; for example, cutting a curved corner off something that's already been subtracted from a few times can cause gaping holes to appear in a model in 3dsmax.
KermMartian wrote:
Not really. After a while repeated boolean modeling causes unexpected results; for example, cutting a curved corner off something that's already been subtracted from a few times can cause gaping holes to appear in a model in 3dsmax.

And you can then bridge/join the polys around the hole.
lol. It causes more of a mess than to simply take a moment to figure out a better way of modeling it.
Here is a render i created to practice the lathe, tube, boolean, and triangular mesh editor:

And here is a nice little picture of a table top:

Here is a render i created with only POVray. It has its own "language" to do the renders so i just used it to create the shapes. And i know there are not any shadows but i specified this. Also the light bulb is only there to show how to make it seem like light is emanating from an object.

Cool, well done, but the "light bulb" looks way too aliased for my tastes. If Kllrnohj is going to bug me about my aliasing, I'll bug you.
KermMartian wrote:
Cool, well done, but the "light bulb" looks way too aliased for my tastes. If Kllrnohj is going to bug me about my aliasing, I'll bug you.

The whole scene is aliased like crazy Very Happy Someone needs to find the anti-aliasing setting... (also known as "multi sampling" or "super sampling")
How is this for anti aliasing? Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours