Yes, I am leaving for the summer to go to Princeton to take an AP US History class. I am probably not going to have access to the internet very often unless my dad changes his mind and pays the $50 fee to use wireless internet. I sure hope he does.
do you have the money to pay for it? Where is everyone going, soon this forum will have no one on it at this rate.
Yes we have the money to pay for it my dad is just like,

Mexi1010's Dad said, not wrote:

The library is right there why the f*#& would you need an internet connection?!?
I meant you, as in one person, not your family.
Bye. Good luck, I guess.
bfr wrote:
Bye. Good luck, I guess.

Thanks.

And rivereye, if you mean do I have the money to pay for it, then the answer is yes.
Wow, these are the times when we at Cemetech get bored xD

It seems like every year theres a time like this were no one is on O_O
Fear not, it often picks up near the end of July / beginning of August as people start to prepare for school.

And Mexi, that is EXCESSIVELY lame to have to pay to get on their wireless network.
I will probably find a way around paying. We have roommates and we HAVE to have a laptop with us, so chances are my roommate will have payed for the internet and he can just give me the WEP key or w/e they use.
Mexi1010 wrote:
I will probably find a way around paying. We have roommates and we HAVE to have a laptop with us, so chances are my roommate will have payed for the internet and he can just give me the WEP key or w/e they use.
Chances are strong that they do MAC address filtering, in which case you're screwed. They might also use a PEAP domain, in which case you're still screwed.
Bah...is there anyway around that...but what if I connected to the internet through my roommates computer? Would that still not work? (There has to be a way around...)
You know, aircrack-ng ( http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php ) and/or airsnort ( http://airsnort.shmoo.com/ ) can also give you the WEP key... Evil or Very Mad

However, if they are having you pay then it is probably more than just a WEP key, and they might have some sort of user login system...

EDIT: You could connect through your roomates computer just fine - just use windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or iptables in linux. Just note that you can't do wireless this way (since he will be using his wireless to connect to the internet - you will probably need to connect to his computer via ethernet)

@Kerm: MAC filtering is weak - you can spoof that fairly easily (easy in that he already knows a valid MAC - that of his roomates).
Probably...the worst part is (yes it is true) they make you install NORTON! AHH!!! Evil or Very Mad
Kllrnohj: I discounted MAC spoofing because that wouldn't allow both of them to be online at the same time.
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj: I discounted MAC spoofing because that wouldn't allow both of them to be online at the same time.

Unless it is an exceedingly stupid system, that is true. However, when they both want to be online see above about ICS or iptables Smile (assuming a close proximity to each other, of course).
So if we shared an internet connection our Ethernet cards would have to be connected with a network cable? I could have sworn remembering connecting to my cousin's laptop without a cable before...
Mexi1010 wrote:
So if we shared an internet connection our Ethernet cards would have to be connected with a network cable? I could have sworn remembering connecting to my cousin's laptop without a cable before...

Unless he has two wireless cards, yes. One network adapter can only be connected to, *gasp*, one network! So if his wireless card is connected to the school's wireless network, then it obviously can't connect to your laptop. Not to mention most wireless cards don't support running in AP mode, and thus can't receive incomming connections anyway. You probably connected to your cousin's laptop wirelessly through a wireless router/switch (as in your laptop and his laptop weren't connecting directly to each other).
I was at Princeton for my Dad's 50th reunion, it's really nice there, I might consider going there as an undergraduate.

They have 2 networks, both unencrypted, one for visitors and one for students Laughing
I see...I am going to make sure I bring a network cable. Very Happy
Mexi1010 wrote:
I see...I am going to make sure I bring a network cable. Very Happy

Just to err on the side of caution (and because it is technically the "proper" way), make sure that it is a crossover ethernet cable.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours