Not sure if it's appropriate or anything, but I thought I'd plug my own shell-like thing here, which is called Noshell.

It's an 83+/84+ Flash application that installs a parser hook which allows you to run any program (RAM or archived, BASIC, assembly, Ion, or MirageOS) from the homescreen as if they were BASIC (no Asm( token).

It also features optional program writeback, nesting (so archived BASIC programs can run MirageOS programs and nifty stuff like that), and chaining with other parser hooks (like xLIB).

Feel free to try it out at http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/noshell.zip if you want. Testing it for issues would be kinda helpful, since I'm hesitant about uploading to ticalc.org.
I played a couple games using it last night, worked fine so far, but they were no-stub asm games. I will try to check it against MOS/Ion games later...
Seems like a nifty idea; I remember someone telling me about it, but I never got to see it in action.
Cool! I'll try it out. Smile
Um, it reset my RAM when I launched a locked, archived, BASIC program. Neutral
plz to support DCS, otherwise no go for me Sad
Sting::Ray wrote:
Um, it reset my RAM when I launched a locked, archived, BASIC program. Neutral

My mistake, sorry, really, really dumb problem. It's fixed and re-uploaded now.
OK. I'll try it again. Smile
Cool. *bfr downloads*
Still resets RAM... Neutral
elfprince13 wrote:
plz to support DCS, otherwise no go for me Sad

Me agree and would make this the greatest shell (no-shell) ever.!!!
If it didn't crash so much... Rolling Eyes
Yeah, still screwing up for me, too. I added some stuff and then forgot to check the rest of the code to see if it still works, that's the source of the problem. Sorry. :/ I'll get it re-uploaded ASAP.
Brandon, I love how people spend years sweating over code to make shells, and then you waltz in and make a complete shell in a matter of days. Very Happy
Before you say "complete", try downloading it! Razz
It's basically libraries with some clever hooks. All the debugging (most?) for shells goes into the GUI anyways, so why not do away with it all together?
Wait, it works on your calculator? Not fair! Mad
Double post! (aww, it's gone)

And no, I haven't tried it at all. I expect it wouldn't work if I tried it, since Brandon made changes but didn't test them. Smile
The Tari wrote:
It's basically libraries with some clever hooks. All the debugging (most?) for shells goes into the GUI anyways, so why not do away with it all together?
True. And this could be my competitiveness and jealousy talking, but I think a lot of users prefer a GUI - witness the fate of Venus, technologically amazing in its nostubishness but never really caught on.
How competitive and jealous! Razz

I agree, I like a GUI more as well.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours