Kllrnohj wrote:
I've seen real time raytracing done on three networked PS3s running Linux....

Biggest problem with raytracing is the current lack of GPU acceleration - all that untapped power pissed away.... (FYI: A modern GPU can do significantly more calculations per second than your CPU can)

we're getting there Smile and of what complexity was the raytracing?
A bit offtopic, but speaking of GPU utilization, I believe I saw a recent article on Digg about a Mac image editor that had built-in sharing of the image processing load between the CPU and GPU.
elfprince13 wrote:
we're getting there Smile and of what complexity was the raytracing?

Single car - of course, it had all the typical stuff. Dynamic lighting, reflections/refractions, etc...

They had a video of it - I think it was on youtube.

EDIT: A quick google search pulled this up: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/04/05/real-time-ray-tracing-on-the-playstation-3
Even with the GPU, I don't think we are at the point where we can get reasonable speeds with raytracing in something like a shooter, where there can be hundreds of objects on screen at one time, almost all in motion.

I did some "Digging" and found links to a. a 26 year old who made an experimental version of quake3 that uses raytracing, and also to a group of researchers who developed more efficient algorithms for it, and are making raytraced versions of quake 3 and 4 (and also, it said that these algorithms are going to be used in openrt) These will really take off once quad-core becomes the norm and gpu's are used effectively.
Of course not, but you are underestimating just how much speed is available in a modern GPU. Not nearly enough for raytracing currently, but GPU power is roughly doubling with every generation - not something the current CPU market can boast.
Take a look at this: http://medvis.vrvis.at/projects/visualization/

I had no idea raycasting could be used for such detail (and yes it uses the gpu Klr, its not raytracing, but still amazing).

I was doing some research on raycasting and such on Gamedev and the internet in general when I stumbled upon this (I've become interested in raycasting and raytracing now, thanks Calc84! Razz )
I'm making the sprites for my game right now. Would you, Kerm and/or rivereye (I guess only Kerm, since it's ASM), have anything wrong with me posting them when I'm done? I'm fueled by outside motivation, and I daresay I need it with at the pace I'm going at.
haveacalc wrote:
I'm making the sprites for my game right now. Would you, Kerm and/or rivereye (I guess only Kerm, since it's ASM), have anything wrong with me posting them when I'm done? I'm fueled by motivation, and I daresay I need it with at the pace I'm going at.
As long as they don't reveal too much specific about your project, I wouldn't have a huge problem with it.
Heh, there's no way I can reveal any more about my project... Very Happy
just as long as it is low key about what is in it.
Oh god! Sudden and random inspiration through a warped mix of Ngame, Mario, and Fallup =P

Not very original, but I need something to keep my basic skillz at a reasonable level =P
As I found info about on internet, it is different sights on where the limits or requirements between a platform game and other games. What is the absolute limits and requirements for the platform games in the contest Question
basically, if you jump from a platform to platform, and have side scrolling in some way, you should be good.
Does vertical scrolling count cuz that is my current idea.
I would think so.
Yeah virtical scrolling will be easier for me to do.
Ooh, vertical scrolling; sounds cool! Smile
It is a cool idea (I know what it is). I was doing something similar to what he's doing, but I didn't want to spend hours and hours agonizing over a smooth-scrolling (on both axes), collision-detecting tilemapper, so I gave up the idea.
ah, that sounds like a lot of fun though, ah well.
Well i actually changed my idea a little because the first one wasn't much of a game so I reworked it using an idea the Tari was going to use.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours