31%  [ 6 ]
No!
 36%  [ 7 ]
I am neutral on this issue.
 15%  [ 3 ]
Forget Mac, I run a REAL OS
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

I love Macs. I've always used them. I like their simplicity, and they've always shipped with high-quality parts. They also have virtually no viruses. Very Happy
My PC is built with higher quality parts, was faster (at purchase time), and cost hundreds of dollars less than a Mac. I can play games, run Linux, do "complex" stuff (I'm tired of this "Its simple" crap - simplicity is for idiots, I want power!), and if a part breaks, I can do the unthinkable - I can replace it with whatever I want, not just what some Mac tech sells me (meaning I can replace it with a faster, cheaper part). A better question is what IS there to like about a Mac? Rolling Eyes
And the only reason they have "virtually no viruses" is because too few people use them to make it worthwhile for virus authors to bother with Macs.
I agree. Also, think of why a mac might be more stable. How many different hardware configurations are there for a mac? 20, maybe, that they make right now. Now lets take a look at the different hardware configurations for non-mac PCs out there. I would imagine it is about, a bulk of the computers out there. With that much variety and lack of control, it is no surprise really.
My opinion? Macs are OK for first-time computer newbs, but frankly, they suck.
What is it, like 2% of the world uses Mac's? I like 'em and all, they look and feel cool, but for the virus thing, yeah, what Kerm said, not as many hackers. THey are still subject to hacking, but 2%? Like I would waste a month writing a virus for the mac in which only 1 out of every 50 people would

But I did hear about this time where this dude found a big flaw in Mac OS and emailed Steve Jobs about the glitch and actually posted the details of it (not how to do it, just the flaw part), but Mr. Know-it-all-I-am-right-you-are-wrong Jobs said that there was no bug. He publicly said there was no hole in the security system. That dude got angry and geuss what? Like 30+ security holes were found be him in like a month. Macs aren't the best OS, they are also riddled with problems, its just they are a lot more user friendly, even since the getgo.

Macs vs. Windows vs. Linux is sorta like Coke vs. Pepsi... only with more people using Windows, but Linux and Mac are up there too. Its really a personal choice of what to use.
rivereye wrote:
I agree. Also, think of why a mac might be more stable. How many different hardware configurations are there for a mac? 20, maybe, that they make right now. Now lets take a look at the different hardware configurations for non-mac PCs out there. I would imagine it is about, a bulk of the computers out there. With that much variety and lack of control, it is no surprise really.

Who ever said Macs are more stable? Seriously, think about that. Apple is the only one saying Macs are more stable (them, and their fanboys - er, I mean "customers"). If you measure stability in terms of uptime, there are plenty of *nix (linux, freeBSD, etc...) OS'es that'll pimp-slap Macs so hard their dainty plastic enclosure will shatter Rolling Eyes

And I provide the following rebuttal to this entire thread: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

@Angel: You want "too", not "two" - go learn the differences or don't use them.
Hmm... don't have time for flaming Windows users right now. Maybe another time.
haveacalc wrote:
Hmm... don't have time for flaming Windows users right now. Maybe another time.

Who said anything about Windows users? This is a Mac vs. anything/everything thread - not a Mac vs. Windows thread. Why do people always confuse the two? Its like the only alternative to using a Mac is using Windows - excuse me, but there is also Linux, HURD, BSD, Unix, Solaris, etc....
Kllrnohj wrote:
rivereye wrote:

Who ever said Macs are more stable? Seriously, think about that. Apple is the only one saying Macs are more stable (them, and their fanboys - er, I mean "customers"). If you measure stability in terms of uptime, there are plenty of *nix (linux, freeBSD, etc...) OS'es that'll pimp-slap Macs so hard their dainty plastic enclosure will shatter Rolling Eyes

And I provide the following rebuttal to this entire thread: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

@Angel: You want "too", not "two" - go learn the differences or don't use them.

I prefer the aluminum and titanium enclosed ones Wink and the lack of viruses is only partially due to the market share, the other much more important reason is that unlike NT operating systems, *nix OSes are designed with permissioning in mind Wink simple? Macs can be just as complex as any other *nix boxen.
Wow, this got beaten to death real quick.
For my views on the matter, reread just about every other post in the topic.
Good grief! Surprised

I'm not saying that their better than everything else or that Windows and Linux are stupid. This August I'm getting a Toshiba tablet with Vista, and I'll probably put Linux on. I don't even like that you can't customize Macs or anything like that. I just like certain features of the OS, and Vista has all that and more. To use Apple's words, I'm "making the switch", but away from Macs.

PS

I thought this topic might be torched.

Our school used to have a few macs... they didn't last long... they were replaced because a few mice got broken by kids who thought it was broken when they couldn't right click...
hehe another down fall of macs. i have an old mac but I can't do anything with it. But I hear macs have some good video editing software but its all personal preference.
You just need to use computers for what they do best.

Macs: Video Editing
Linux: Web Hosting/General Usage
Windows: Solitaire
Macs are GREAT for video editing. I mean, look at final cut pro or even express. My friends and i are making a movie, and thanks to final cut express, we have been able to multiply people using something called mats. i'm not the post production por like my friend, but at leats i know you can make professional grade videos.
i don't doubt that there is Windows software that can challenge it, it's just that i haven't heard of any much.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CZBAD5KcyE0
check it out.
I like Macs. You can run all three OSes on them.
Nice trailer so are you in anyo of those shots?
TheStorm wrote:
Nice trailer so are you in anyo of those shots?

yep, a few. It's a movie about the revolutionary war. Nathaniel Swift goes to war leaving his wife Emily behind. When he comes home injured, he finds her to be dead. We had another movie up called extreme butts up which consisted of a flaming tennis ball thrown at a guys head, but our parents forced us to take it off. were trying to put it back on.
now, to actually write about the topic...i'm considering getting a mac because of some of its aspects such as style and its OS Leopar that will be out by the time i'm going to buy it. However, i'm used to PCs, so the switch will be awkward. Do you guys think it's worth it? THe laptop i plan on buying will be for recreational purposes, not programming or hard core working.[/quote]
clementop wrote:
Macs are GREAT for video editing. I mean, look at final cut pro or even express. My friends and i are making a movie, and thanks to final cut express, we have been able to multiply people using something called mats. i'm not the post production por like my friend, but at leats i know you can make professional grade videos.
i don't doubt that there is Windows software that can challenge it, it's just that i haven't heard of any much.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CZBAD5KcyE0
check it out.

Be careful - you are praising the hardware/OS ("Macs") for the accomplishments of a program (Final Cut Pro) - people always do this. Hello, wake up call. Macs aren't any better than PCs at video editing - because guess what? A Mac is a PC. If Final Cut Pro rules the video editing world - thats great, feel free to say so, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Macs somehow having an inherent benefit for video editing. If Final Cut Pro were to be ported to Linux/Windows, it would still be the exact same program, would function in the exact same way, and would maintain the same level of 'pwniness'.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours