1. Let's go on the assumption that all the background CALCnet communication and/or AI work will take enough processing power to make super-fast scrolling unlikely. I think the second one seems to have fairly universal appeal for a balance between detail and being able to see a few things at once.
2. Awesome
3. Of course!
4. Thanks for the reminder, I'll try to be careful. Smile

@DJ Omni, willrandship, _player, Sonlen: Doors CS 4.0 was BASIC with a custom 14-function ASM library that handled program liting and execution, powering off, contrast, the mouse, and related fun stuff. However, in that context "Doors CS 4.0 optimized" does indeed mean the icon+header.
ah, regarding number 1, it doesnt have to be super fast, but faster than slow Very Happy
qazz42 wrote:
ah, regarding number 1, it doesnt have to be super fast, but faster than slow Very Happy
Well, I think I can guarantee that I'll make it render faster than the BASIC version. Wink
I would love to be a tester for this too. Very Happy
I noticed calcNET in the first post on this page, that would be a multi-player thing then?
heh, multiplayer sims for the calc. epic idea Very Happy
Sonlen wrote:
I noticed calcNET in the first post on this page, that would be a multi-player thing then?
The original was single-player, but I think it would be a ton of fun to have a multiplayer RTS game for the calculators. Smile Qazz: More like AoE than The Simms.
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
The original was single-player, but I think it would be a ton of fun to have a multiplayer RTS game for the calculators. Smile Qazz: More like AoE than The Simms.

I had that thought not too long after I mentioned my post.
Glad to hear it. Smile Again, I know that all of this is a very ambitious plan, so bear with me if I don't have the time to attempt any or all of it or if I decide to scale back my plans over time.
KermMartian wrote:
Glad to hear it. Smile Again, I know that all of this is a very ambitious plan, so bear with me if I don't have the time to attempt any or all of it or if I decide to scale back my plans over time.

I do have a question though, how do you plan on showing the graphics? If you decide something with XLib I could work on something for you. Very Happy
Nono, this is going to be pure ASM for the graphics, even if all I end up doing is re-writing the Civ Sim I rendering engine. Smile I'd be happy to have your help creating sprites, though.
KermMartian wrote:
Nono, this is going to be pure ASM for the graphics, even if all I end up doing is re-writing the Civ Sim I rendering engine. Smile I'd be happy to have your help creating sprites, though.

Considering how simple the sprites looked in those images, if that is close to what you want, I should be able to do that with "nice-looking" sprites at the least. Very Happy

If you could get me a list of what you want and possibly a dimension they should fit in, I could get started shortly. Very Happy
Well, that's the thing, I neither have a good idea what buildings and units I want to have yet, nor how I'm going to differentiate between different players' units and buildings, since I have neither color nor grayscale to work with. Smile I would appreciate any feedback on that.
KermMartian wrote:
Well, that's the thing, I neither have a good idea what buildings and units I want to have yet, nor how I'm going to differentiate between different players' units and buildings, since I have neither color nor grayscale to work with. Smile I would appreciate any feedback on that.

I could work on some "concept art" if you could give me an idea for the orientation of what you need, and any basic structures you want then I ought to be able to get something going.
Well, I'd like something like a barracks, a marketplace?, a farm, a farm, maybe a forest, and some stones/gold. Some of the buildings should get more advanced as they progress through three stages.
KermMartian wrote:
Well, I'd like something like a barracks, a marketplace?, a farm, a farm, maybe a forest, and some stones/gold. Some of the buildings should get more advanced as they progress through three stages.

How many layers/stories, should they be angled, birds-eye, front view, etc...
Also a preferred size, monochrome/gray-scale(if so how many levels)?
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

or this one game that I remember in the ad's of websites. it used *imagry* to get you to play it..... cant remember the name though
Yeah, I remember that one, but I think that was more of a massively-multiplayer game. Smile
*bump* I missed Sonlen's post:

Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

They should follow the size and style of the middle stuff in this screenie. I can be more precise if you want.

Oh, although I still rather have the third one, I will admit I do like that greyscale you are using. (or is that greyscale? It is harder to tell in still screenies)
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* I missed Sonlen's post:

Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

They should follow the size and style of the middle stuff in this screenie. I can be more precise if you want.

I think I can get that, but I do have a question, the three stages, how exactly would you like those to work out?

qazz42 wrote:
Oh, although I still rather have the third one, I will admit I do like that greyscale you are using. (or is that greyscale? It is harder to tell in still screenies)

Those are not greyscale. :p

Here is what I have so far, from left to right are stages 1 to 3, in order:

I decided to add them to a "mock-up" screen to show how they would appear at that size in the game.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours