The OS contains some of the inormation of the ROM and the rest needs to be found... lemme check out something....

EDIT1: The OS is the main program that the computer or calculator runs. This is the system that you run on your calculator (TI-OS) and using that you can use all the internal parts of the calculator. The ROM is the data from the memory chip. Its the base code of the entire calculator. Think of it as a plate and the OS as the turkey, and everything else as gravy... all of it builds ulimately on the ROM.
Good try, but no, you fail.

ROM: A physical microchip on the calculator's "motherboard". ROM is Read-Only Memory; in this case it's technically EEPROM, or Electrically Eraseable and Programmable Read-Only Memory.

OS: The OS covers both the bootstrap code and the entirety of the code that processes input and produces output. It makes the calculator do something other than sit there and expend power.

In other words, a ROM dump is the OS, although a ROM dump may also contain archived info and apps because they're also stored in ROM, just on different pages from the OS.
Failure anf learning is better than failure and nothing gained, right? So the ROM is the computer chip that makes the calc work and the OS is the programming?
You both fail. Not really, but I just wanted to say that.

A ROM dump is a dump of all the memory on the calculator. It contains the OS, the boot code, and any archived data. So, it's basically everything.

The boot code doesn't count as part of the OS, in my mind. It can't be changed and is necessary for receiving and writing a new OS so that the rest of it can be used. You can write an entirely different OS on there, but the boot code remains.

And, I'm not sure if this was said, but...you need the OS plus the boot code to get an emulator working. The OS part can come from an 8XU on TI's site, but the boot code must come from a real calculator or the flash debugger's CLC file.
okay so then why don't my apps and other files show up on the emulator?
TheStorm wrote:
okay so then why don't my apps and other files show up on the emulator?
Because the ROM dumper that you used only dumps the boot code. It used the OS from an 8xu or clc file, which contains a clean, blank archive.
Thx for the help I think I get it now.
Now that i have Tiemu with a TI-84 rom image can i get screen shots from it (I looked and from what I could tell calc capture only works wit VTI and a 92 on tiemu)
I think it works with any windowed program...
More detail for the newb please. Razz
nvm I got it thx for the help.
calc capture can get a screen shot (still or animated) from any program that runs in windows, be it an emulator, or notepad )I think tifreak might have a ss of it in notepad).
As I said I figured it out but that will come in handy. BL anyone?
umm? wtf why is the video inverted on photobucket? and how do you guys do animated screen shots here?
I use the emulator from my mini-guide and CalcCapture. All I have is just saved the movie as a .gif files and then uploaded to [url]imageshack.us[/url]. This way, its really easy to get the pictures I need and want to post without much effort.

@Rivereye: I didn't know that... should've realised that could happen, but the again, I have a 1 track mind somethimes...
@The Storm: DON'T DOUBLE POST! USE THE EDIT BUTTON!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours