Hello
My name is Patricia. I am taking a calculus class and I am having trouble with antiderivatives. Especially when I need to use then for U substitution Indefinite and definite intergrals Does any one have a program that could help with that?
Here is a whole list of calculus programs:

http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/basic/math/calculus/
antiderivatives and U substitution are actually quite easy to learn (I'm in calculus). If you ever need help, just email me (CalcGeeks@gmail.com)
I am thinking that posting on here with questions on math specific things is just as alright. Smile

Welcome to the forums, Resinator.
Ah, welcome, Patricia/Resinator. Glad you took my advice and joined the forums. As lafferjm stated, ticalc.org has a large directory of math-related programs, but to the best of my memory there's nothing there that does true symbolic differentiation. Can anyone think of such a program?
Symbolic? (Wild guess, I really have no idea)
I wrote an "area under the curve" program, but that's about it.

Oh, and for definites, if you enter the equation into the y=, you can do 2nd, trace, 7. Then just enter your limits and it tells you. That is a definite integral, right?
Yeah it is because indefinite doesn't have the whole from a to b thing.
By "symbolic" I mean it can take (2x)/(x^2) and come up with ln(x^2).
You should only use a calculator program as a shortcut if you can program it yourself and know what everything does. While using somebody else's program might give you some insight into symbolic integration, you won't actually learn how to do it.

Side note: Exams are coming up in about two weeks, it's a little late to be just learning u-substitution isn't it?
brainiac256 wrote:
You should only use a calculator program as a shortcut if you can program it yourself and know what everything does. While using somebody else's program might give you some insight into symbolic integration, you won't actually learn how to do it.

Side note: Exams are coming up in about two weeks, it's a little late to be just learning u-substitution isn't it?

Who really cares...in my math class (I am only in Algebra I) I have the best math grade in the freshman class (103%) and I know how to do it all but I do it in my calculator anyway, if you know you can do it and even if you use someone else's program I really don't think it matters.
brainiac256 wrote:

My class just learned u-substitution about 2 weeks ago.

That's what sucks the most about a teacher strike. The college board doesn't adjust AP test dates...
u- and uv-substitution take a grand total of 5 minutes to learn...
Your right sometimes I don't come up with the right anti-derivative when i solve i just really wanted something as back up to check my answer. Anyways I think i feel a bit more comfortable with that now. What I really need help on is the rotation surface stuff. washer,shell, disk cylindrical i really that stuff is hard. I know there are programs for it but it seems like i am not entering the right stuff to get the answer in the programs.

Consider following y=x^2 y=0 x=1 Use cylindrical shells to find the volume generated by rotating the region bonded by the given curves about the y-axis. Sketch region and typical shell (I have trouble doing this as i don't really understand can't see it)
or

for

y=1/x^2 y=0 x=2 x=4 y=-2 Find Volume of solid obtained by roating the reion bonded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid and a typical disk or wisher.

Anyone have any hits or suggestions? I guess i don't understand what should I do first.
I'm not in calculus yet, but I clicked the calc link and the second program on the page was http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/326/32688.html

And the thrid one does it to I think, just search anti =P

Learn it yourself before you go and use programs to do it for you though!

EDIT: Oh, what a coincidence... Kerm WAS THE ONE THAT MADE IT!
There's this thing...
That's nice too bad they don't have the calculus program ready. I am so despearate i would buy it now.
Eww... paying for TI software...
Super Speler wrote:
Eww... paying for TI software...

You did, when you bought the calculator. You don't seriously think that the crappy hardware in the 83/84 actually comes anywhere near the ~$100 price tag, do you?
I got my 84+ for free from my cousin when she went to college Razz. I don't have 100 bucks to spend on a calculator.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours