Also, the high activity on Cemetech/Omni also benefits to other TI forums, since it's obvious some members will look for multiple ones, then in turn, those boards get more active, bringing us more new members as well. For example, despite UTI low activity, I noticed it slowly wanted to pick up again lately, same for TI-BASIC Developper.

Now all we need to do is bring back Hays Laughing
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Now all we need to do is bring back Hays Laughing
Actually, you joke, but in the past having some cause for the community to unite against has been a positive force more than anything. It helps bind people together and form bonds of friendship, or something along those lines. Smile And I agree that high activity benefits everyone, especially in terms of OmnomIRC and SAX. It's too bad that you guys didn't jump on tiSAX when I was adding all the other sites like OTBP and UnSyntax to it. Sad
Yeah true, the hays days were fun ^^

As for OmnomIRC, the issue was that we used Invisionfree back then and even later, we were not too fond of having our IRC activity shared with Cemetech, because it would have conflicted with Omnimaga forum/IRC rules/policies or vice-versa. Both sites are just too different to allow this. (altough not as much as before) That said, a totally independent SAX could have been used, though. It would have needed to not use the database directly, though, due to 1and1 TOS regarding usage of chat scripts.
This is true. It would still be nice to have the posts shared back and forth across the sites, rather than just the one way, though. Something to think about for the future. Smile

Speaking of posting stats, I would love to have more charts and graphs that get automatically generated here and stored in the About section. I should work on that when I get bored on Doors CS.
Well so far Omnimaga channel notifies of new posts on UTI, Cemetech, Omnimaga and TI-Freakware. It used to notify from MaxCoderz too, but we taken the feed down, because it was too buggy. We planned to do Revsoft too, but it went down and Netham45 is busy now. There were plans for TI-BD as well, but we do not know if such thing is possible, given their different system.

And I like the post statistics in the about section idea. You should add a graphic showing monthly post stats too, and maybe even one that compares them by year, maybe inspired from this one, with better colors (matching Cemetech):

Very nice graphs, DJ. What happened to you guys in Summer 2008, did the site cease to exist during that period?
Oh you don't remember lol? Razz

Yeah it did. People begged for a temp board in January 2008 but after repeated anon raids and dropping activity we just moved on. Somehow in late August people started bugging me non stop (especially Necro) so I restart a brand new site from scratch hosted myself and we did. The Temporary board was deleted on March 4th and the new site opened on August 25th of that year.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Oh you don't remember 0x5? Razz

Yeah it did. People begged for a temp board in January 2008 but after repeated anon raids and dropping activity we just moved on. Somehow in late August people started bugging me non stop (especially Necro) so I restart a brand new site from scratch hosted myself and we did. The Temporary board was deleted on March 4th and the new site opened on August 25th of that year.
Ah, that makes sense, does the graph include statistics from the temporary board though? It looks like it does.
It does indeed. February should be about 50 posts less without the first spam attack (most of the attacks occured as PM spam and forced the disabling of registrations)
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
It does indeed. February should be about 50 posts less without the first spam attack (most of the attacks occured as PM spam and forced the disabling of registrations)
Ah, that sucks, but you seem to not have had many spambot registrations and attacks lately, correct? Cemetech has been happily more or less immune since the installation of Elfprince's anti-spambot mod.
Oh, that spam attack I am talking about was the 711chan/i/ raid of February 11th 2008 (apparently somebody posted a link to both Omnimaga and United-TI there). Prior that we had someone flood our IRC channel, and that forum anon raid was one of about 4 attacks we received that Winter. On the new forums we got one too but it was easily dealt with because of the SMF tools. We did get two spambot attacks on the new board, but as with the deliberate attack, it was dealt with easily. We rarely ever get bots nowadays because of the protections we got. On Invisionfree we got about 40 bots sign-ups a day, altough the protections we had prevented any from posting, so the only damage caused was the flooding of the member database
Ouch, I can't think why Omnimaga would be the target of a Chan raid. You don't seem very high-profile on the list of Chan causes like Scientology and the like. Sad
Well we used to not be liked much because of our strict rules regarding provocative or destructive criticism towards other members or their contributions to the community and it was viewed as censorship, but a few of those people felt it would be funny to either send their personal army to raid the forums.

That said I did not mind the raid as much as the fact the main spammer account impersonated someone else, though (Allynfolksjr/Nikky)

Oh well that stuff is the past now anyway and I think both sides slowly moved on to more productive stuff (read: calculator programming) Razz
That's good to hear; I hope everyone has grown past that stage of immaturity at this point. Razz
Yeah. OF COURSE there will always be some bad stuff happening everywhere now, but I feel in overall things seems fine.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 5 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours