# - thing pwned
-reasons

-------------------------

1. MirageOS
-DCS recognizes more program types
-DCS is more stable
-DCS does not randomly clear RAM or lose programs
-DCS has a better GUI
-If/When DCS crashes, it doesn't remain crashed.
2. Ion
- - It aint cheap lookin
3. Microsoft Windows
- DCS doesn't produce fatal errors at inconvenient timing
- DCS was not designed with blatantly obvious holes to save time
- DCS does not cost over $150 and does not supersede itself yearly with newer, more expensive yet still as crappy upgrades.
Okay, look, I haven't had DCS crash for a while, but I've NEVER had MOS crash. You may be able to say that the newer versions are as stable as MOS, but not more stable.
foamy3 wrote:
Okay, look, I haven't had DCS crash for a while, but I've NEVER had MOS crash. You may be able to say that the newer versions are as stable as MOS, but not more stable.
I've had MOS crash many, many times on me. Sad Mostly when working with BASIC headers or transfers.
When MOS crashed on me, it stayed crashed. Seriously, it wouldn't run at all from that point on. Executing it would cause immediate crash and burn
DCS > CrunchyOS:
- Kick-a$$ GUI
- More options (CrunchyOS has none!)
- Can run more program types
- Powersaving
- Supports extensions

CrunchyOS > DCS:
- Virtually no garbage collects. Friendlier to those with low archive space for this reason.
- Writebacks are stored in AppVars. If a program writes back bad data for some reason, simply deleting the AppVar is the equivelant of having to delete and reinstall the program - the program never modifies itself unless it explicitly does so, so you always have the original copy.
- Supports compressed programs and game levels.
- Heavily used programs can be stored witin the app itself. They're compressed, too, and can save a ton of space on calc.
- Recovers and reclaims RAM lost if a program - ASM or BASIC - crashes back to the homescreen (DCS might do this already but I'm not sure).
- Simple, easy-to-use interface.
- Very stable
KermMartian wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
I've had MOS crash many, many times on me. Sad Mostly when working with BASIC headers or transfers.

What version did you have? I know that the older versions of MOS had some serious problems with BASIC programs.
@Insanity: Doors CS also does automatic recovery of lost RAM. Smile
KermMartian wrote:

How do I use this?
If you're talking about RAM recovery after a calc reset, then ask Kerm (I know this can only be done on the SE calcs). If you're taking about recovering lost RAM after a crash to TIOS, then I'd think all you'd have to do is just reopen DCS and it'll do it's thing...
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

How do I use this?

automatic [aw-tuh-mat-ik]
–adjective
1. having the capability of starting, operating, moving, etc., independently
@Insanity I wasn't sure which you were talking about.
What it means is that if you have ASM or BASIC programs running under Doors CS and it quits to the TI-OS, the next time you run Doors CS it will recognize what happened and reallocate the lost memory.
MOS has never crashed on me and its GUI is suitable considering it doesn't have all the fancy stuff. DoorCS has crashed on me more than MOS. DoorCS 5 > MOS 0
Well duh DCS5 did... DCS5 was horrible with all the bugs =( The reviews on ticalc for it arent so hot either lol.
Yeah, if you haven't downloaded any of the newer versions, than I don't see how you can come up with a fair comparison of DCS to MOS... Even Kerm will admit to ver5 being uber buggy...
tifreak8x wrote:
Yeah, if you haven't downloaded any of the newer versions, than I don't see how you can come up with a fair comparison of DCS to MOS... Even Kerm will admit to ver5 being uber buggy...
Not "uber" buggy, but I released it way too soon; I definitely didn't give it the incredibly detailed bug-check cycle I've worked on for DCS6.
GUI is wonderful
RAM meter helpful
Battery meter helpful if it worked Smile.
More file supports.

Doors hasn't crashed on me since 5.2 so its really stable.
MOS never crashed but it doesn't have a GUI.
Hasn't crashed on you since 5.2? Pwnsome!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours