So as you all know, Doors CS 6 is on-track for a release in six and a half days. I'm going to be publicizing the release as widely as possible; for that, I'll need short and long feature lists, clear and technical descriptions, and of course a press release. Alex10819 and I did some brainstorming on the short feature list slash clear description this evening:

Alex10819 and KermMartian wrote:
DCS makes your calculator work like you wouldn't believe. Forget complicated menus, DCS has icons and a mouse. With the ability to run hardware, it's the most capable shell in the world.
=================

Doors CS programs can be smaller, faster, and better-looking than those for any other shell

Familiar mouse versus complicated drop down menus

no need to juggle multiple shells and apps - DCS can run them all

organize your programs with intuitive, nestable folders

ooh, and the battery meter Smile

DCS allows two or more calculators to be connected for chat, games,and more

Great support community

how about its stability and data protection? Protect your data with RAM recovery.. or something

DCS is easy to personalize. Pick your own background, even change your mouse cursor

More to come as I edit and improve stuff. Feel free to post your own ideas, including prose, images, and rollout suggestions.

Edit: A preliminary press release! Please read it over and provide suggestions and constructive criticism:

>> Doors CS 6 - Press Release Beta 2
Battery Meter: Did you ever fix it for the 84s? (wasn't there a problem were it was always full, regardless of battery power...?)

RAM recovery...or something: What the heck does that mean?

"With the ability to run hardware": Poorly worded - elaborate.

EDIT: The self-praising in the press release is a little akward, as is the promoting of Cemetech. Its supposed to push the product, not the creator and 'community' Very Happy
Vital keyword in that first post was "brainstorming:" those aren't completed thoughts or phrases, not by a long shot.

Re: the press release: according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_release), I need the following sections:

Wikipedia wrote:
* Headline - used to grab the attention of journalists and briefly summarize the news.
* Dateline - contains the release date and usually the originating city of the press release.
* Introduction - first paragraph in a press release, that generally gives basic answers to the questions of who, what, when, where and why.
* Body - further explanation, statistics, background, or other details relevant to the news.
* Boilerplate - generally a short "about" section, providing independent background on the issuing company, organization, or individual.
* Media Contact Information - name, phone number, email address, mailing address, or other contact information for the PR or other media relations contact person.
So you think I should shorten the boilerplate section a bit?
Kllrnohj wrote:
Battery Meter: Did you ever fix it for the 84s? (wasn't there a problem were it was always full, regardless of battery power...?)

RAM recovery...or something: What the heck does that mean?

"With the ability to run hardware": Poorly worded - elaborate.

EDIT: The self-praising in the press release is a little akward, as is the promoting of Cemetech. Its supposed to push the product, not the creator and 'community' Very Happy

And did you ever fix that Kerm? Because when my batteries died halfway through a test and it said full (it was a stupid test I was playing Calc's Minesweeper) and then they suddenly died I was in a very, VERY bad mood. Razz Anyways I think the "With the ablility to run hardware" is not correctly stated and, no offense Kerm, but the whole thing makes it sound cheesy. Read one of those big company press releases and look at how serious the thing is. When I read this one I felt like a guy with those big commentator voices should be reading it.
OMFG, are you people retarded? BRAINSTORMING! BRAIN-STOR-MING. It's nothing final, just random ideas of topics that we tossed out.

Edit: wikipedia on Brainstorming:
Quote:
# Focus on quantity: This rule is a means of enhancing divergent production, aiming to facilitate problem solving through the maxim, quantity breeds quality. The assumption is that the greater the number of ideas generated, the greater the chance of producing a radical and effective solution.
# No criticism: It is often emphasized that in group brainstorming, criticism should be put 'on hold'. Instead of immediately stating what might be wrong with an idea, the participants focus on extending or adding to it, reserving criticism for a later 'critical stage' of the process. By suspending judgment, one creates a supportive atmosphere where participants feel free to generate unusual ideas.

And can you elaborate on what you felt was "cheesy" about the press release? I suspect it's the extended Cemetech/Kerm Martian "about" section, but I'd rather hear what you have to say.
things 2 cover (aka: explain in detail)

Intelligent Writeback.
Calcnet2.
The GUI system.
support for MirageOS and ION.
SEs.
Associated Programs.
elfprince13 wrote:
things 2 cover (aka: explain in detail)

Intelligent Writeback.
Calcnet2.
The GUI system.
support for MirageOS and ION.
SEs.
Associated Programs.
Now that's some constructive brainstorming. Props @ elfprince.

Edit: updated the Press Release. More criticism!

Doors CS 6 Press Release Beta 2

Edit#2:

Short Feature List:

• With an integrated GUI API and Associated Program system, Doors CS programs can be smaller, faster, and better-looking than those for any other shell.
• Navigating Doors CS is easy if you’ve ever used a computer. Forget complicated menus and obscure keyboard shortcuts; instead use an intuitive mouse cursor to move and click on onscreen items.
• No need to juggle multiple shells such as MirageOS, Ion, and even the TI-OS itself: Doors CS can run all their files and many more.
• Tired of slowly searching through your program list? Organize your programs and files into nestable folders, then scroll quickly to the program you want.
• With CALCnet2, a built-in feature of Doors CS, you can connect two or more calculators together for chatting, multiplayer gaming, and more.
• If you’ve ever lost valuable projects to RAM Clears from bugs in other programs, you’ll be happy to discover Doors CS’s rock-solid stability and features to protect your programs against other programmers’ mistakes, including Intelligent Writeback and RAM Autorecover
• Doors CS 6, your way: customize everything from your mouse speed and cursor to your desktop background. You can also install small modules called SEs to further extend the features and capabilities of Doors CS.
• Never get frustrated again with a question or problem; just visit the helpful Cemetech support forum and any of over five hundred members will be happy to assist.
*bump* I know it's not 24 hours, but shut up, I am ROOT!

Anyway, I made a wiki page for the feature lists and descriptions so anyone who want to help hone them can:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Publicize
Since when has DCS had RAM recovery? Confused
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* I know it's not 24 hours, but shut up, I am ROOT!

Anyway, I made a wiki page for the feature lists and descriptions so anyone who want to help hone them can:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Publicize

no no no,its "sudo shutup"

and its a different form of RAM recovery than what you're thinking of (Kerm you should explain this)
Forget the RAM recovery; it's not really an important feature. All it means is Doors CS will recognize if a BASIC or ASM program quit/crashed to the homescreen and clean up after it.
KermMartian wrote:
OMFG, are you people retarded? BRAINSTORMING! BRAIN-STOR-MING. It's nothing final, just random ideas of topics that we tossed out.

Edit: wikipedia on Brainstorming:
Quote:
# Focus on quantity: This rule is a means of enhancing divergent production, aiming to facilitate problem solving through the maxim, quantity breeds quality. The assumption is that the greater the number of ideas generated, the greater the chance of producing a radical and effective solution.
# No criticism: It is often emphasized that in group brainstorming, criticism should be put 'on hold'. Instead of immediately stating what might be wrong with an idea, the participants focus on extending or adding to it, reserving criticism for a later 'critical stage' of the process. By suspending judgment, one creates a supportive atmosphere where participants feel free to generate unusual ideas.

And can you elaborate on what you felt was "cheesy" about the press release? I suspect it's the extended Cemetech/Kerm Martian "about" section, but I'd rather hear what you have to say.

Don't you want to tell you how to improve your brainstorm?

Here's what I think:
1. Elaborate more on its features instead of yourself
2. Mention others that have helped you. We know you did most of the work, but not all.
3. The whole article sounds slightly "preachy". Don't keep talking about how you want to revolutionize calculator use with this shell over and over.
Nice article Kerm. I do have a question though (though this may not be the best spot to put it...) Does the CALCnet2 really work yet? I've tried using it by enableing it and hooking up two calcs but it doesnt seem to work it just says "CALCnet2 Active" and "gCn Unavailable" I've also tried hooking it up to the computer with the gray and silver link because i also thought it had something to do with the computer. Maybe i'm just doing it wrong though...
@Calc Buffoon: No, you misunderstand. You're more than welcome to criticize both the stuff on the wiki page and the press release. I was asking that people not criticize the list in the very first post, as it wasn't finalized. Calc, did you read the second pdf, then one where I dropped all the stuff about Cemetech and shortened the paragraph on myself? Also, if you could, I'd appreciate some specifics about how to make it sound less preachy.

@rax: Thanks. Re: CALCnet2: it doesn't automatically do anything unless you have a specific program transferring over the network. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Also, if you could, I'd appreciate some specifics about how to make it sound less preachy.

OK... Now.... Lets start with, well, about everything:

Bold stuff is WAY to preachy/braggingish

Cemetech, the leader in freelydistributed
software for TI graphing calculators,
has fully tapped this potential with the new Doors CS 6.

And this entire bit here...
According to the leading calculator programming community hub, ticalc.org, Cemetech’s Christopher Mitchell (under the alias Kerm Martian) is the world’s most prolific graphing calculator programmer. He has released over three hundred freeware programs running the gamut from games to academic applications. Nearly six hundred thousand users have directly downloaded his work free of charge, and hundreds of thousands of others are thought to have received his programs via peer-to-peer sharing.
is just PLAIN wierd, seriously, jsut because you have the most downloads does NOT make you the most prolific (now that I think of it, get rid of that on the frontpage to)

I think you should basically eliminate most mention of Cemetech and you from the article, and when you submit it, cut down the file description from what it is now

But seriously, a PRESS RELEASE!??! WTF? I wasn't around when Mirage OS did their release, but I bet they didn't do it like this...

Sorry if this was a bit harsh, but if I were reading this as an outsider, I would think you were a total asshole
Nice article, from what I read. Did you ever actually make it so that selecting "Restart" in the Power menu actually does something? I have the latest release candidate on my Ti-84+ Silver Edition, and it doesn't seem to do anything.
Quote:
@rax: Thanks. Re: CALCnet2: it doesn't automatically do anything unless you have a specific program transferring over the network.

Will you be releasing that program?
harq: (1) he doesn't have the most downloads (2) he has the most programs which DOES make him the most prolific Wink
Quote:
Prolific adj. -highly productive

-Microsoft Word

And the options under the 'power' option are next to useless. 3 ways to exit, and you can just press clear... now... what am I going to do... and restart? it just flashs on and off... then shutdown, its called either On, or Clear, 2nd, On both of which are faster then going to the menu. sorry but I find it silly =\
elf: But some people (apparently, such as Harq) might not look at it that way, even if they are wrong

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours