Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
What material?
I can't remember now >.< I think I wanted to do it with perfboard.
Well here's an idea. If you're using it to transmit only written material, Braille might be an option. Then you wouldn't need as much resolution, as every letter is a 3x3 dot-matrix. But then there's still the issue of learning Braille... Razz
Ed H wrote:
Well here's an idea. If you're using it to transmit only written material, Braille might be an option. Then you wouldn't need as much resolution, as every letter is a 3x3 dot-matrix. But then there's still the issue of learning Braille... Razz
That's actually not bad! *Kerm ponders the possibilities of a dataglove with a braille display on each fingertip. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
That's actually not bad! *Kerm ponders the possibilities of a dataglove with a braille display on each fingertip. Very Happy

Who says you can't read Braille with your tongue? Razz I'm serious. You get more space, and you could scroll an array over the tongue, which would be more similar to reading.
That's not a bad point, but for wearable computing, an electromechanical system uses more power than an electrical-only system.
OK So how badass would it be to have a wrist/armband scrolling news headlines, the time, stocks (or whatever you programmed it to) across you in braille? I think I would buy one of those.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
OK So how badass would it be to have a wrist/armband scrolling news headlines, the time, stocks (or whatever you programmed it to) across you in braille? I think I would buy one of those.
The problem with a wristband is you need something with the nerve resolution to distinguish between touch impulses at certain points. Therefor, finger braille works because the fingertips have a very high nerve density and the ability to do spatial distinction for points at least 3mm apart or so. For a wristband, you'd need much wider spacing.
Aye, but you also have muuuchhh more space. And your wrist makes less contact with various objects, which might obscure things. Just a thought.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Aye, but you also have muuuchhh more space. And your wrist makes less contact with various objects, which might obscure things. Just a thought.
What do you mean? Because of the irregular shape of the wrist? That could be easily worked around; I don't see it being a big obstacle to this kind of design.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours