I have a scrapped-together hub that I wish to integrate into my 83+SE, but I cant get it working outside my calculator. I have a connector stuck in the link port, am tapping power from the batteries, running it thru a 5V regulator, and all that going to a female PS/2. Right now its all jumper leads, but I'll neaten it up once it gets working.

The problem is I can't get any software to communicate with any of my mice or keyboards. When I use this code: http://benryves.com/bin/emerson/ in the console, I type some hex and it just gives me ?? endlessly. Sometimes if I mistreat the keyboard enough it will give me some random codes in return, but nothing else otherwise, except for the FF when you plug it in. Any help?
Did you try reversing the two data lines? That often works. If not, the junk isn't getting enough power; use a separate set of batteries.
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2217 <<check out that when you get a chance.

and.... Welcome to Cemetech!
Yes I have tried that, I get more data, but it's all FF, and the sending data is still all ??. Also, I have measured the current draw, and it's only like 10 mA, so I doubt theres a power shortage. I was wondering if the PS/2 standard has changed, and the new hardware is not compatible?

EDIT: Oh my god, you're right! I hook up my trusty 4.5v 1.5A power supply, and it works great! The question is, why? It still says only 10 mA draw. And, it works without the regulator. Maybe the regulator just wasn't keeping the voltage high enough for the link port to register? It's not too big of a problem if I use the 6V from the TI instead of the 5V regulated, PS/2 devices are tough, right? Confused
ericva1992 wrote:
PS/2 devices are tough, right? Confused

Wouldn't count on it. PS/2 ports and motherboards have been known to short if you hot-swap one (old hardware anyways, haven't heard of that happening at all recently).
ericva1992 wrote:
Yes I have tried that, I get more data, but it's all FF, and the sending data is still all ??. Also, I have measured the current draw, and it's only like 10 mA, so I doubt theres a power shortage. I was wondering if the PS/2 standard has changed, and the new hardware is not compatible?

EDIT: Oh my god, you're right! I hook up my trusty 4.5v 1.5A power supply, and it works great! The question is, why? It still says only 10 mA draw. And, it works without the regulator. Maybe the regulator just wasn't keeping the voltage high enough for the link port to register? It's not too big of a problem if I use the 6V from the TI instead of the 5V regulated, PS/2 devices are tough, right? Confused
10mA sounds a bit low... I've found my PS/2 mice draw between 30 and 50mA each.
hey, cool you are the first person other than Kerm I know of who's actually built one. I should get around to this at some point.
elfprince13 wrote:
hey, cool you are the first person other than Kerm I know of who's actually built one. I should get around to this at some point.
Ultimate Dev'r, PatL411, and Netham45 have all built TICI hubs...
Now time to dremel a nice hole into my calculator...

It was a pain to open up. Didn't have a star screw driver, so I took the closest mini flat-head one I could find and sanded it down till it fit.

btw, the ultimate calculator was what motivated me to do this. Theres nothing more cool [read: nerdy] than a mouse hooked up to your calculator.
Good stuff. You're probably best-off dremeling either the corner I used or the opposite corner. Both have a fair bit of mobo that can be safely trimmed.
Yup, I did the far right side, facing out front. I had a really small connector, and it fits very nicely. I only had to dremel the circuit board slightly. i'll put up some pics sometime.
ericva1992 wrote:
Yup, I did the far right side, facing out front. I had a really small connector, and it fits very nicely. I only had to dremel the circuit board slightly. i'll put up some pics sometime.
Sweet deal, I was going to ask for pictures. Did you get the connector flush, or did you use something to fill in the sides?
Any one got spec's on how to do this on an 84+se Smile
or pics
I dont believe it would be much different, maybe have to find somewhere different to put it, but here's how I tested mine (no calculator opening required):

* Stick some foil on the bottom of the leftmost battery, between the battery and the pad

* Get a 3/32" (1.5mm) stereo audio jack (from radio shack or somewhere) and solder some wires onto it

* Get a PS/2 female connecter (dunno where), and solder some wires onto it

* Hook up the circuit. You get GND from the base of the audio jack, you get + from your foil, and the tip and center are off of the audio jack.

* Once you get this tested and working, you can either package it up all nicely with it's own power supply, or integrate it into your calculator. You should open up your calculator and think carefully about where it goes. I am not familiar with the 84, but I imagine it has more room.
ericva1992 wrote:
...but I imagine it has more room.

*less room. Substantially less room because of the extra space the USB hardware takes up, but I believe it's still possible.
Anybody have any idea why the emerson code crashes on exit? Even just using the routines it crashes. And does the emerson code have the data/clock pins different from the specifications specified in the tici hub circuit?

EDIT: I have answered my first question, it is because of forgetting to re-enable interrupts, or not "resetting" the link port to both tip+center high.
Kerm, whatever happened to that 84+SE you broke. If you have that, you could experiment around a little bit with it.
rivereye wrote:
Kerm, whatever happened to that 84+SE you broke. If you have that, you could experiment around a little bit with it.
That's a good idea. I have no idea where it went, though... Sad
that sucks. Too bad that my bad 84+SE doesn't turn on, or I would try it with that.
rivereye wrote:
that sucks. Too bad that my bad 84+SE doesn't turn on, or I would try it with that.
Ah. Mine merely has half a broken screen Crying, so I can still kinda use it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours