Well, not really. But I'm still in a bit of trouble. Our school blocked gmail, and a bunch of other non-threatening sites, so our computer science class took action. We went to a proxy server, downloaded firefox, set it up with a direct connection to the internet, and used it for all of our web surfing needs. It also came in handy testing cross-browser capabilities with the school website (which we are in charge of updating).

Our computer-administrator guy found it on a student's personal drive last night. He suspended that kid's account (meaning he can't even log into a computer!). Somehow, he found it on the website drive, too. He blocked access to it from every computer science student. Now the site can't be updated. Needless to say, our comp sci teacher is pretty mad at the computer-administrator-guy. She went to the principal and vice principal, and they're on her side. So hopefully we get access back soon.

On a side note, I was very impressed by what else they did to stop us. I went back to a proxy server and tried to download firefox portable to my flashdrive. It downloaded to 99%, but then stopped and gave the windows error message sound. When it stopped, it flashed a screen that said it was copying files from my C:/ drive to my flashdrive. When I checked my flashdrive, there was nothing there. I have no clue how he managed that one...
other software in the background there. I still am annoyed at times at what the school I go to does.
NEVER save software to your personal account.

step 1) get a copy of Ghostzilla
step 2) rename the extension to .tiff or something like that, put it on a site/email account you have access to.
step 3) download as necessary
hmm, well, my school doesn't seem to care that some of us have full copies of eclipse on our home drives, ah well.
@foamy: That last part was probably just typical windows being stupid Very Happy

Anywho, I was 'suspended' from my account for a day (not even an entire day) for having cygwin on my school drive. But it was cool, cause the IT guy knew what it was (-ish, he was familiar with linux). He runs the bowling team and technology club (new this year) - of which I now participate in both, and he likes me, so its all good.
If you need Cygwin, claim you were using it for C programming. Razz
Wait, I thought Cygwin was for C programming? How could a windows port of the X window system be bad?
Cygwin is a bash shell emulator. Basically you could use it to run nearly any Linux program, thereby neatly circumventing Windows' execution limits.
Ohhh.... Not a bad idea, actually. Wink

So it's like the opposite of wine?
basically, though programs must be written to use Cedega.
Ohh.... right. So it's more like DOSbox?
foamy3 wrote:
Ohhh.... Not a bad idea, actually. Wink

So it's like the opposite of wine?

Yup (its nothing like DOSbox - no idea where rivereye came up with the must be written to use Cedega - as games AREN'T written to use Cedega)

@Kerm: I got in trouble for it because it allowed me to browse the network without limitations - oops Very Happy
hm. My school has blocked every web proxy ive tried.... =(
The IT guys at my school spend all day trying to find game sites they haven't blocked but most of the time you can get around this by just not typing www.
Thats pathetic. Our guy blocked https, like the first 100 pages of google gaming sites. every web proxy ive tried, and anything else they have the right to block.
i know it sad but they do fight back by halving the librarian check our screens from her computer every 5 minuets so even if we get through were kicked off the computer quickly but its fun to mess with by writing messages on the screen
my school has blocked most gaming, video, proxies, and miscellaneous other sites, such as google images. Us students have found a way to get around that and they haven't figured it out yet. Just use ggoogle.com. Our school also is a pretty smart about their .exe's. You can't run anything that is not authorized by the school. I've tried, doesn't work. In some rooms, right-click is disabled, which really sucks when you have to copy a picture to a project, but since we use IE, it doesn't really affect the lack of right-click. Due to the lack of games, most students mess around with local.live.com google maps to look at teacher's houses and others noteworthy landmarks, like the Playboy Mansion.

Our school offers a summer school program through another school district and their lack of security is pathetic. I downloaded and played CS2d during the one class I voluntarily took. I also was able to download all the portable apps and run them which = firefox, thunderbird, and I was able to run programs off of a usb stick. While our normal school blocks references to gmail and anything that has gmail in it, this summer school only blocked the welcome page. If I used auto-login, I could check my email during class.
nice Very Happy
i should try running some games from my flash drive and then hiding them like with msword i never thought of that.
duh-my bad Neutral
I used to love the file-link-from-msword execution prevention circumvention.
Yeah, that's how we opened firefox.

That's the only useful feature of msword. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours