By now, I expect most everyone around here has heard of my current project, LIFOS, which will be a TI-OS alternative operating system.
Currently, Fallen Ghost is also working with me on the project, but I'd be happy to have more people to help (even just people willing to test and provide ideas are welcome).
I will be using this thread to announce various things related to LIFOS.

Things that are already up:

Things todo (PM me if you want to help):
    Set up http://lifos.sf.net/. I know a little HTML and Javascript, but not really enough to design a whole page.
    Get s'more IRC bots running. I set up one, but I'd like more for holding the channel.
I would be willing to test, but will it still have all the normal calc commands? Because I still need my calc for school Very Happy

and about the Malloc... http://lifos.wikidot.com/syscalls:malloc
Oh, great! something better than SourceForge! Smile

That will help alot for recent changes and development issues.
Well, we're kinda taking the idea of Vera and making it work by actually writing the thing. It's going to be fairly seamlessly extensible through execution of a 'home' app at boot time, but until we write all those apps for doing math and such, it doesn't do much that TI-OS does. I hear you, though. I still need my calc for school, too, so I'll be doing most of my testing in an emulator.

11:57 CST: added lifos-users and lifos-devs mailing lists
Maybe we could have some kind of copy of the rom routines the TI-OS uses so that we could make the apps available, but that would be not very legal.

Or we could write the thing ourselves.

Or maybe there is actually a program out there that does calculate all those things for us.
Re: Malloc: Surely it wouldn't be that hard to deAlloc all the memory that a program mallocs when it quits, seeing as you should be able to check that upon return from the program execution
@Kllrnohj: Probably not, come to think of it. I could just save the value of allocSP when running a program, and just restore it after returning
Fallen Ghost wrote:
Maybe we could have some kind of copy of the rom routines the TI-OS uses so that we could make the apps available, but that would be not very legal.

Or we could write the thing ourselves.

Or maybe there is actually a program out there that does calculate all those things for us.

I thought about this when I was doing the initial design, but it would require emulating the TI-OS ROM page 0, and also the RAM layout, unless we modified it to fit our API. Looking at TI's license agreement for the OS now, it seems we're not allowed to disassemble or redistribute the OS in whole or part.
TI license agreement wrote:

# License: Texas Instruments Incorporated ("TI") grants you a license to copy and use the software program(s) and documentation from the linked web page or CD ROM ("Licensed Materials"). The Licensed Materials may be copied onto your calculator. TI grants school personnel a license to copy the Licensed Materials onto school or student owned calculators and school employees and students are licensed to use such copies. In addition to the copy resident on the calculator, a single copy may be kept on a computer solely for backup / archive purposes.

# Restrictions: You may not reverse-assemble or reverse-compile the software program portion of the Licensed Materials that are provided in object code format. You may not sell, rent, lease or otherwise redistribute copies of the Licensed Materials, except as set forth in the license granted above.

That leaves us with either writing our own floating-point math and such, or emulating the TI-OS environment and having users make dumps of portions of the OS. Either way, it's not much fun, and it's probably easier to write our own.
If this project has any chance of suceeding, you have to abandon the idea of TI-OS emulation. It's simply not feasible enough.
I never said I was going to try to emulate TIOS, I was just saying what we could do. I suppose I should have said the only sane option is to write out own routines (although I see Scott Dial donated a huge FP math library to Vera, which we could use).
Hey all, been a while since I've been able to do anything. I was banned from the computer until the end of third quarter (ssh, I'm not here) without any notice. I've been making some mock-ups of some interface things, so they might be up a little later, or failing that, around the end of the month.

I've also got some actual code in the alpha stages, but I've hit some stops loading it into an emulator (code is moved up in memory 2 bytes, so when the system interrupt triggers it just keeps resetting to 38h), probably due to Brass' odd output of .hex files, so I'm switching over to TASM (I would use SPASM, but it only outputs binaries and ostools requires hex files.). If anyone wants to check out the CVS and mess around with TASM, have fun seeing if you can get some executable stuff. Fallen Ghost, that's especially true for you if you want.
Edit:
Here we are:

A programs menu that might be. This sort of nice interface would need to be provided by the home app, not the OS itself. I hope to write a decent (optional) home app to go with the OS, though.

The options menu (accessed by pressing MODE).

The About screen (like TI-OS' MEM->About)
this is ASM right?
it seems pretty easy to make for BASIC except you would have to write in the program names and such yourself in the whole code.
yah its basically just strings and text( commands with larger in the center..
sorta like Apple app bar
I like the menu style where you would scroll down but i still think DoorsCS 6 OWNS that OS by miles....
ummmm....this is a whole new operating system.....
really?......
yes....
Yeah, try to read the first post from now on.
that was sarcasm........
meaning it wont have Basic......or at least Basic as we know it.
you sound pretty experienced elf. just a question do you know how to convert basic to asm or manualy transcribe it with code?
/me looks at combined TI forums postcount
/me looks here <--linky

yup Razz

and you don't really, once you know assembly its much easier (and faster) to rewrite most of it then to hook yourself into the corresponding TI-OS bcall()s (which btw aren't gonna be there for a new OS), and really have to understand assembly to try to translate it anyway.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours